Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OTOH there's the psychological factor: Believing you can go anywhere will get you stuck in a Jeep far more often than driving a RWD car because with the latter you stay home until the roads have been plowed.

And that is a big problem with AWD in general. You feel that the car can accelerate much quicker through snow and ice, so you tend to drive faster. And that, potentially, leads to a more dangerous situation.

Of course AWD adds additional safety, there is no point in denying that, but the safety benefits are usually overrated and lead to stupid decisions, like not changing for winter tires.

Here is what Consumer Reports has to say about that topic:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: smac and JeffK
Chains improve safety in snow regardless of tire type or drive train. For some folks it may be about whether or not the highway patrol will let you through. Others will do what's safest, even when not absolutely required. When chains are recommended, I would put them on, whether or not they're absolutely required to pass the check point.
If only you knew how chain-happy the California Highway Patrol can be. Around here, they frequently compel drivers to install chains on roads that are mostly clear, only because there may be snow and ice a few miles up the road, past our town. I absolutely hate, hate, hate driving with chains on bare pavement. Plus, you can only imagine how much damage this does to the main roads! CA-18 near us, for instance, was freshly paved last year. Now it's worse than ever, from all of the chain use.

So, yes, we are for sure waiting for AWD, and the only real reason is so that we can get past chain control. We already have our "classic" Model S and our LEAF, and there is no chance of our family buying another car without AWD (we sold an AWD gas car when we bought the Model S). I imagine that many Californians who like to visit (or live in) the mountains during winter feel this way.

How do I know that we don't "truly need" chains most of the time? Because I can drive around our somewhat hilly mountain neighborhood in our 2WD cars (with care, of course); our small streets keep the snow/ice longer than the highways.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and DR61
If only you knew how chain-happy the California Highway Patrol can be. Around here, they frequently compel drivers to install chains on roads that are mostly clear, only because there may be snow and ice a few miles up the road, past our town. I absolutely hate, hate, hate driving with chains on bare pavement. Plus, you can only imagine how much damage this does to the main roads! CA-18 near us, for instance, was freshly paved last year. Now it's worse than ever, from all of the chain use.

Okay. Sounds awful.

I've purchases AWD BMW 3-Series for over ten years, because of the snow we (used to) get in Northern Virginia. Now, it's down to one day a year, lol. But I still think AWD would be good in 3 or any Tesla because of the added regen and handing. Hard to say, though, without a real comparison. And I've not driven a FrontWD or RWD car in that long!

Last edited:
No AWD is fine with me. More of the RWD type anyways

Whatever you do, don't ever test-drive an AWD Tesla. Because if you do, RWD will forever be disappointing. Even in the absence of snow, the handling is spectacular.

It's an expensive luxury that not everyone will want to pony up the cash for, but it is truly remarkable.

Whatever you do, don't ever test-drive an AWD Tesla. Because if you do, RWD will forever be disappointing. Even in the absence of snow, the handling is spectacular.

It's an expensive luxury that not everyone will want to pony up the cash for, but it is truly remarkable.

That is my view as well...because my B-class MB is not AWD and if I punch it rubber is burned. As I understand it, the AWD will eliminate or minimize the chirping even though it does make me smile when it happens.

My experience of having had a S85 RWD and now a S85D AWD is that S85 RWD was more fun to drive (and in the good ol' days we also got a larger frunk). Remarkably good on snow and ice as well (much better than any other car I ever had, including FWD and AWD).

With the S85D, traction is even better of course, but you somewhat always "feel" the front motor in your steering wheel.

Definitely going RWD when we can order Model 3.

Most race cars are RWD. All else being equal, an AWD car will not out corner a RWD car. AWD has the advantage in drag racing from a standing start, and in slow corner exit speed on dry pavement. In fast corners, RWD will be faster down the following straight because it is lighter.

Reactions: McRat
I'm willing to believe (if you say so) that RWD handles better in the hands of a race-car driver. I'm not willing to believe that it handles better in my hands. And I don't race (obviously). "Better" is obviously a subjective term. Power to all the wheels is better for me. As noted above, it may not be enough better for me to wait. That will depend on how long a wait I expect when it comes time to order. I really love my Roadster, but I also really want the features the 3 will have.

I'm willing to believe (if you say so) that RWD handles better in the hands of a race-car driver. I'm not willing to believe that it handles better in my hands. And I don't race (obviously). "Better" is obviously a subjective term. Power to all the wheels is better for me. As noted above, it may not be enough better for me to wait. That will depend on how long a wait I expect when it comes time to order. I really love my Roadster, but I also really want the features the 3 will have.

What you are experiencing in an AWD without all wheel steering, is the natural tendency of understeer that all FWD cars have. Tires have 100% traction only in a single vector. You can corner at 100%, you can brake at 100%, or you can accelerate at 100%. You can't corner at 100% if you are applying power whatsoever. The only difference between an AWD and RWD is that you can overwhelm the total traction available to the front tires easier, which induces understeer. This is safer for most drivers. Hence why you feel more secure than in a tail heavy RWD car which can misbehave if you aren't careful.

But the babysitters on all modern cars will pretty much keep all but the most foolhardy drivers from finding out about unexpected oversteering so it's a moot point unless you turn them off.

Reactions: GSP and DR61
Dual-motor gives you four-wheel magnetic braking (regen), which is likely to be used most of the time (versus friction bakes). RWD cars will only have magnetic braking on the rear wheels, giving you much less control in slippery conditions.
Well now that's an advantage I didn't consider. 2 sources of regen. I wonder if anyone knows if the dual motor model S produces twice the regen of a single motor....or did Tesla software limit that?

Well now that's an advantage I didn't consider. 2 sources of regen. I wonder if anyone knows if the dual motor model S produces twice the regen of a single motor....or did Tesla software limit that?

FWIW, I have noticed substantially more regen in my X P100D compared to my S P85D. I didn't know about it either until I experienced it. Don't know how much the heavier car/bigger battery could play into it, if anything, but the difference is significant. Makes single-pedal driving even more fun.

As for the RWD vs. AWD, I agree RWD Teslas (at least the Model S P85 I have experience of) behave well for RWD cars. They have good traction for RWD cars and are fun to drive. You can certaily wag the tail when necessary. The tendency to oversteer is there, though rather surprisingly the are not completely void of understeer because in my experience the rear is so grippy and powerful that sometimes it can push the front wheels if front loses grip before rear. I had it happen a few times and it was rather surprising. Not really an issue, but did happen a few times.

That said, I'd go AWD every time I had the choice. For me the traction from 0 onwards is far more important than any rare cornering fun. Losing grip on launches is such a buzzkill. Preferences vary.

FWIW, I have noticed substantially more regen in my X P100D compared to my S P85D. I didn't know about it either until I experienced it. Don't know how much the heavier car/bigger battery could play into it, if anything, but the difference is significant. Makes single-pedal driving even more fun.

As for the RWD vs. AWD, I agree RWD Teslas (at least the Model S P85 I have experience of) behave well for RWD cars. They have good traction for RWD cars and are fun to drive. You can certaily wag the tail when necessary. The tendency to oversteer is there, though rather surprisingly the are not completely void of understeer because in my experience the rear is so grippy and powerful that sometimes it can push the front wheels if front loses grip before rear. I had it happen a few times and it was rather surprising. Not really an issue, but did happen a few times.

That said, I'd go AWD every time I had the choice. For me the traction from 0 onwards is far more important than any rare cornering fun. Losing grip on launches is such a buzzkill. Preferences vary.
Fantastic information: Thanks. AWD for me all the way.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger