Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Boombox for UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I downloaded the new 2020: 48.26 software update. I did this early in the day and was super excited to go try out the new apps. The one I’d been waiting for was boombox. It allows you to assign different noises and music to the horn as well as assign music or sounds when you drive the car. Almost an alert for pedestrians. It’s not there!
After a call to Tesla in Edinburgh, it was confirmed that UK vehicles do not have an external speaker and that we are not going to get this fun app. Not only was the app going to be fun, but I was quite encouraged by its potential safety measures, as I believe that in July 2021, it will be essential that EVs in the uk must make a noise! Is this a ploy to charge for a speaker? Is this fair that we don’t have one in the uk?
My model 3 is 6 days old. Who would have thought that it was already out of date and unable to take advantage of all the latest software downloads!

very very disappointed Elon!

Reactions: StevehConwy
Thanks so much for this info. I have been scouring the web for confirmation as like you I am in the UK and have a 5 day old M3 and since the holiday update have tried anything I could (multiple reboots, etc) and still couldn’t see. While I get it’s more of a gimmick and in reality I would hardly use it, it’s real shame we miss out on all the fun (‘noise’) elements of the update.

mine is going in for a service on the 30th due to the hurrendous state I got it delivered in, multiple scratches, misalignment, etc etc so will be sharing my frustration then.

Today I downloaded the new 2020: 48.26 software update. I did this early in the day and was super excited to go try out the new apps. The one I’d been waiting for was boombox. It allows you to assign different noises and music to the horn as well as assign music or sounds when you drive the car. Almost an alert for pedestrians. It’s not there!
After a call to Tesla in Edinburgh, it was confirmed that UK vehicles do not have an external speaker and that we are not going to get this fun app. Not only was the app going to be fun, but I was quite encouraged by its potential safety measures, as I believe that in July 2021, it will be essential that EVs in the uk must make a noise! Is this a ploy to charge for a speaker? Is this fair that we don’t have one in the uk?
My model 3 is 6 days old. Who would have thought that it was already out of date and unable to take advantage of all the latest software downloads!

very very disappointed Elon!

Honestly, I don't think anyone is missing anything without this feature. Unless you're sentimental and you like your car to sound like an old AM radio powered by a 9V battery.

I saw it as a way to allow the car to sound like a v12 or a v6! To give the car the sound to go with the speed. For safety and for fun! How you can say you don’t see it as something you’d want the option of is beyond me!

• Funny
Reactions: Alset Srotom
Thanks so much for this info. I have been scouring the web for confirmation as like you I am in the UK and have a 5 day old M3 and since the holiday update have tried anything I could (multiple reboots, etc) and still couldn’t see. While I get it’s more of a gimmick and in reality I would hardly use it, it’s real shame we miss out on all the fun (‘noise’) elements of the update.

mine is going in for a service on the 30th due to the hurrendous state I got it delivered in, multiple scratches, misalignment, etc etc so will be sharing my frustration then.
Yes I’m going to complain too. Also had a failing seatbelt in the back and one of my kids hit head off back of seat!!! Not at all impressed!

It would be illegal in the UK to have novelty horns, anything other than a single continuous tone is only allowed for emergency services (plus an exception for Ice Cream vans). See The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (legislation.gov.uk)

The rules around AVAS noises come from EU regulations EUR-Lex - 32017R1576 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)

II.3. Sound type and volume

(a)

The sound to be generated by the AVAS shall be a continuous sound that provides information to the pedestrians and other road users of a vehicle in operation. The sound should be easily indicative of vehicle behaviour and should sound similar to the sound of a vehicle of the same category equipped with an internal combustion engine.

(b)

The sound to be generated by the AVAS shall be easily indicative of vehicle behaviour, for example, through the automatic variation of sound level or characteristics in synchronisation with vehicle speed.
So the Boombox feature will simply not be allowed, and I expect that from July new Model 3s will have the same tones that the US had previously. Time will tell if Tesla will provide a retrofit, as far as I've heard all UK cars have the required wiring harness, just needs the speaker.

This is bullshit. I wanted to have Ric Flair woo'ing when I honked my horn.

Is it definitely confirmed that the speaker is not physically there and just isn't active? I've heard it is due to EU law. I know the UK has left the EU now, if the speaker is physically there then I'm sure an update an activate it.

How can I check?

Take a look yourself, turn your wheels to the left, open the front of the right front wheel arch by removing two push fittings and look in, you'll see the grill in the bottom, and a loose cable around somewhere. In the UK forum I've not seen anyone with a speaker fitted, or anyone without the cabling harness. People have tried plugging in speakers of their own, they get some noise briefly currently. Boombox does not appear, and for the reasons I posted above I'm sure will never appear.

Be assured it's good, old, blue passport, UK laws that prevent you having a novelty horn.

Reactions: Florafauna
Even if you have the wiring and speaker, the BoomBox is still not enabled in Europe. By chance, I have the speaker in my Model 3. In fact, the standard reversing sound is even disabled but it works very occasionally. I contacted Tesla about it months ago and it is a firmware bug that the reversing sound sometimes works in Europe. Even with the speaker hardware, they don't want any sounds produced in Europe right now.

To be honest, apart from the novelty value, I'm not keen for my car to make noises when I reverse.

My understanding of the rules in the UK (I read it ages ago, so can't be sure of the details) was that cars that had an external speaker/sounder fitted at that time would be required to make a sound at low speeds/when reversing. But if the car was manufactured before the speaker was a requirement, it wouldn't need to be retrofitted.

To be honest, apart from the novelty value, I'm not keen for my car to make noises when I reverse.

My understanding of the rules in the UK (I read it ages ago, so can't be sure of the details) was that cars that had an external speaker/sounder fitted at that time would be required to make a sound at low speeds/when reversing. But if the car was manufactured before the speaker was a requirement, it wouldn't need to be retrofitted.

In the UK this would only be permitted if there is an on/off switch provided with the car as external sound devices (including horn I think?) are not allowed to be used between 22:00 and 0600 if i remember correctly.

In the UK this would only be permitted if there is an on/off switch provided with the car as external sound devices (including horn I think?) are not allowed to be used between 22:00 and 0600 if i remember correctly.

You can be fined for "deliberate misuse" between 23.30 and 07.00 in built-up areas - to avoid disturbing people sleeping really. Correct use is as a warning that you are there to a pedestrian or other vehicle and things like that, misuse is things like using it to let someone know you're waiting outside their house (taxis often do this) or to just get the attention of someone you know passing by.

Sound generators for "quiet vehicles" are not covered by that law as they're not horns.

The regulations specify a volume which is no louder than a typical equivalently sized ICE vehicle at 2m, so you won't be able to hear them inside a house most of the time and they have to cut off at 12mph too.

The regulations specify that a pause switch can be fitted to temporarily disable the sound if necessary, but it's not a requirement.

At the moment the regulations are from the EU and have been enacted into UK law, but now that we have left they could be changed before the come fully into force later this year.

You can be fined for "deliberate misuse" between 23.30 and 07.00 in built-up areas - to avoid disturbing people sleeping really. Correct use is as a warning that you are there to a pedestrian or other vehicle and things like that, misuse is things like using it to let someone know you're waiting outside their house (taxis often do this) or to just get the attention of someone you know passing by.

Sound generators for "quiet vehicles" are not covered by that law as they're not horns.

The regulations specify a volume which is no louder than a typical equivalently sized ICE vehicle at 2m, so you won't be able to hear them inside a house most of the time and they have to cut off at 12mph too.

The regulations specify that a pause switch can be fitted to temporarily disable the sound if necessary, but it's not a requirement.

At the moment the regulations are from the EU and have been enacted into UK law, but now that we have left they could be changed before the come fully into force later this year.

hm, didnt the nissan leaf come in the uk only with a switch to disable the pedestrian warning system because of this law?

hm, didnt the nissan leaf come in the uk only with a switch to disable the pedestrian warning system because of this law?

I can't speak for the Leaf and Nissan's reasons for including the switch, but my other half's 2015 Outlander PHEV has a sound generator and no way of disabling it. It could be that Nissan were anticipating it being a requirement rather than an option.

In that way it's a bit like a spare tyre is covered in our annual roadworthiness test - the vehicle does not have to have a spare, but if it has one then it must be road legal (i.e. inflated and with sufficient tread). An old trick to bypass the test if you had a marginal spare was to take it out before submitting the vehicle for its test, then put it back afterwards.