Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No car after Delivery date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a friend of mine was supposed to take delivery of their Model 3 last weekend. he was day one holders and talked heavily about it and was super exited when they had a delivery date. Well, last I saw was a social media post of him at the Delivery Center waiting to take delivery. I was waiting for that text picture to be sent to me, that exciting phone call, that social media post with them next to their new Tesla that took 2 years to get.. but nothing.. a day goes by, a few days and now a week and nothing mention of this exciting car.. they did however continue to post stuff non Tesla related and someone had mentioned they saw him driving around in their old car still...

So, I don't want to be the one to ask him what happened but I think its clear delivery didn't happen..
So now im wondering is it possible to have a delivery date and not have all your ducks in order? Like if lending wasn't fully set up, or negative trade in value hurt your loan to Value, ect.. I kind assume its a lending issue because he has never bought a car at this price point.. But Tesla still lets you show up to your delivery date even if funding isn't fully completed or one of those" things to do" list isn't checked off?

I’m sure he’s been beat up about it from family and other friends so I really didn’t want to beat a guy when he’s already down. Within time I’m sure I will.

Point of this post was to see if this was a thing where Tesla allows delievery appointments to happen if everything wasn’t in order. I thought you had to meet all the checks in the box before you got a delivery date? Well, that’s at least what I did was ensure all checks were checked when I took delievery.

So funding doesn’t have to be 100% set when comes delievery day? They just assume you are good to go when you show up?

Maybe next time I don’t have to rush all those check in the boxes

Point of this post was to see if this was a thing where Tesla allows delievery appointments to happen if everything wasn’t in order.

So funding doesn’t have to be 100% set when comes delievery day? They just assume you are good to go when you show up?

I don't know about that, but I don't think that is the case. I think they ask you to confirm prior to the delivery date that you have a valid check, usually with a statement from the bank. I know you hand over final payment at the delivery center, so yes... you could in theory tell them all is good and show up without a valid check and then be turned away.

There have been many, many posts of owners showing up to the delivery center only to be told that their car is not ready due to damage incurred during transportation, a problem that arose in the delivery center and Tesla refusing to sign-off on release of the car, or clients rejecting delivery due to issues.

There are many reasons why someone may not have picked up a car they ordered.

Likewise, anyone can go to Tesla's delivery centers to take a photo outside (maybe inside as well??) and post it on social media to make it seem like they purchased a car. I have a friend who does something similar with expensive luxury items. If you're alluding to whether your friend tried to make himself look cool by showing up to take a photo outside the delivery center just so he can post it on social media.... that can be the case but we can't help you with that, you'll have to find out by speaking to him eventually.

Reactions: SDKoala
OP: this kind of gossip may cost you a friend if he reads TMC.
Why don't you ask the mods to delete this thread ?

Come to think of it, didn't you have another thread of wild conjecture related to car financing ?
What is your problem ?

If you and this person are really friends, why not just ask instead of trying to find reasons why he might not have gotten his car on an anonymous public message board? Juxtaposing this thread with the previous similar thread you started last month suggests there's more going on between the lines.

Edit: Didn't see @SageBrush noticed also.

Edit #2: Because I'm bored tonight and now intrigued by what's going on here, digging up this not-so-humblebrag post of yours from last year adds some more context, like you're trying to prove that you're more successful than this other person or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
If you and this person are really friends, why not just ask instead of trying to find reasons why he might not have gotten his car on an anonymous public message board? Juxtaposing this thread with the previous similar thread you started last month suggests there's more going on between the lines.

Edit: Didn't see @SageBrush noticed also.

Edit #2: Because I'm bored tonight and now intrigued by what's going on here, digging up this not-so-humblebrag post of yours from last year adds some more context, like you're trying to prove that you're more successful than this other person or something.

I think I’ve created and wasted more time of yours then what was intended lol

I genuinely felt bad for my friend to the point I didn’t want to add to it. Like seeing an old friend with a cast on his arm for the first time. You wonder and wonder what happened to his arm but you won’t ask because you know they have been asked a dozen times before you. But, I took the advice from the first comments and just paid him a visit to talk and slowly brought it up. He looked annoyed that I mentioned it but had told me that his trade in estimate was lowered once Tesla saw the car (he had received an estimate by sending pictures) and that that bank wouldn’t increase the funding to cover the difference so he had to come up with the extra cash on the spot.

Some of you all Sherlock Holmes tried way to hard to solve a mystery that didn’t exist that you done your digging around to drew your own collusion. So I say to you “Why didn’t you just ask” me? ;) if you thought more was going on.

Like some of you, I was simply curious. More so used my friend as the example because that’s what triggered my question. If someone is allow to show up to a delivery date with out everything completed. Used the friends story as context.. but guess that came across differently :p

Anyways, I guess the answer is yes. Tesla will allow the appointment to happen because I guess they take your word that things are good on your end.
Btw, he’s able to take delievery Monday. We had figured something out. I guess Tesla will hold on to the car for a very short time to see if you are able to solve the issue then your VIN gets reassigned.

Some of you all Sherlock Holmes tried way to hard to solve a mystery that didn’t exist that you done your digging around to drew your own collusion. So I say to you “Why didn’t you just ask” me? ;) if you thought more was going on.

I think the real mystery is why someone would start a thread to ask — theetering on gossip — about the situation of a personal friend that no one on these boards knows.

Glad to hear your friend was able to come up with the extra money. Nonetheless, there’s no reason for someone be ashamed if a situation turns against one.