Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too young for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has come sooner then I've ever expected for me. Like most of my friends and Family, there were many years where I struggled and could hardly get approved for a 10k car loan. At the time, it felt like a slow process to get where I am today but know looking back and reflecting, I've exceeded those I know at a faster pace. I'm not used to having such expensive car. I'm used to owning cars in the 15-20k range and that was amazing enough to me. I felt success when I was able to buy a $36k 2015 Mustang GT at the age of 26 a couple years ago. Eveb at that level, I hardly personally knew anyone who had such a nice/expensive car.

Well, here I am today, just turned 29 and placed an order for a $90k car. (Taking delivery next week) and although it is within our means, it still doesn't sit right with me that I was able to do this and drive a car that's worth just about 100k... typing that didn't feel right lol it was always my unrealistic dream car but never at the age of 29. How did I get so lucky?

I wonder if there is anyone else here who almost came from nothing and now own a Tesla today or if there was anyone younger then 29 when their dream became a reality.
I still feel too young to have this car

I could afford mine, but had similar feelings until I started driving. Now I look back with nostalgia how I used to be worried.

Assuming it isn't financially constraining you... hopefully when you finally get it you will forget all of your concerns and just look forward to your next drive.

I’m 31 and I just purchased a new 90D Model S. Lots of people will say that 29 is too young of an age to purchase that expensive of a car or that you won’t be able to enjoy the car as much as you would be if you were in your 50’s since you are somehow able to appreciate all the hard work you put into owning the car at that age instead of when you are young. I find that to be so misguided.

I worked very hard to be where I am now being financially secure as a doctor and I’m enjoying every moment of owning a Tesla. If you are able to afford the car at such a young age, you should be able to reap the rewards and enjoy life.

It’s funny when I see people gathering around my car, admiring it and expecting someone older to be driving it. Then, I approach the car and tell them I own it. They’re baffled and ask what my job is. I have no regrets purchasing the car and I wholeheartedly believe you’ll enjoy every moment of owning a Tesla as well.

Last edited:
This has come sooner then I've ever expected for me. Like most of my friends and Family, there were many years where I struggled and could hardly get approved for a 10k car loan.

Remember - you measure financial success by net worth and return on capital - not by the price of your ride. Remember that and you have a better chance of staying solvent. I know too many broke docs at the end of their careers with little to show for a lifetime of hard work but memories of expensive toys and uncertain retirements ahead.

Last edited:
I’m 31 and I just purchased a new 90D Model S. Lots of people will say that 29 is too young of an age to purchase that expensive of a car or that you won’t be able to enjoy the car as much as you would be if you were in your 50’s since you are somehow able to appreciate all the hard work you put into owning the car at that age instead of when you are young. I find to be so misguided.

I worked very hard to be where I am now being financially secure as a doctor and I’m enjoying every moment of owning a Tesla. If you are able to afford the car at such a young age, you should be able to reap the rewards and enjoy life.

It’s funny when I see people gathering around my car, admiring it and expecting someone older to be driving it. Then, I approach the car and tell them I own it. They’re baffled and ask what my job is. I have no regrets purchasing the car and I wholeheartedly believe you’ll enjoy every moment of owning a Tesla as well.

Very nice! I also ordered an inventory 90D!
I am very excited for it but also the feeling of "what am I doing with such an expensive car" lol
I'm no doctor but with my wife's and I joint income and some investments, we are able to pay for this and still have plenty of "exposable income" at the end of the month once all of our obligations are paid. Maybe also just a little nervous what all my peers are going to say.

Funny thing, my 10 year HS is coming up. And I guessed no one in my class ever thought I'll be where I am today.. and now there isn't a single person in my class with such a car at such a price. And no, I won't be attending lol

If you consider yourself too young then what category would I fit in owning 2 model S's at age 26

Times are different now, there are far more young rich people than there were in my parents younger days.

Many of my friends/colleagues who are of similar age own expensive vehicles, and we don't really consider ourselves successful

@calisnow basically said what I was thinking regarding financial success, once I'm free to quit my job and live off my capital, then I'd consider myself financially successful, but owning a nice car or house doesn't really define it in my opinion.

Reactions: calisnow
And remember - you measure financial success by net worth and return on capital - not by the price of your ride. Remember that and you have a better chance of staying solvent.

Exactly. We should start a thread which allows folks to humblebrag about how young they were when they accomplished something (happy to contribute...see what I did there?). Some people make their own money, some people inherit it, some people scam and cheat others - who knows how folks really make their $$. I live in an area where kids a lot younger than me (I'm early 30s) drive cars that are worth 2x my "poor man's" Tesla but there's a lot of beach condo living or living at home or complete lack of equity holdings or retirement funds (fun conversations at the SpCs)...so a car is hardly a measure of someone's true net worth.

To each their own, but to the OP, spend some time by Stanford or Caltech and you'll certainly see folks in their early to mid 20s with Teslas, nothing new there.

• Love
Reactions: robby
Lol um - cool story bro. Finally we have reached the first pure 100 pct brag post that has absolutely nothing to do with the car. you've exceeded your friends. You have been buying pricey cars for several years. You claim to be embarrassed by this yet - you're here telling everybody how young you are lol. Also that you live in the armpit of California. Heh. I can say that - I grew up there. Welcome to the club 909 man. And remember - you measure financial success by net worth and return on capital - not by the price of your ride. Remember that and you have a better chance of staying solvent.

Fun fact: keith909man was an email account I made up when I was a kid with out knowing what 909 was. Now everyone assumes I'm from cali lol.

We actually grew up "poor" in the state of Kansas in the 316 ;) Like I slept in a box as a kid because my folks couldn't afford a bed. I don't come from money.. in fact, my wife and I are both just military that are now stationed here in JBLM WA. Both of us have been in for 10 years now and we grew through the ranks to earn what we do on top of investments.

Also, didn't have a history of "nice" cars.. my cars goes as fellows. A 1992 Honda Civic, A 1998 Malibu, a a 2001 Ford Mustang, a 2005 Ford Taurus, a 2012 chevy Cruze, and my first new car was a 2015 mustang GT. Now... a tesla model S 90D. So, you see how a tesla is an extreme jump for me

I bought mine at 25, have my own house, retirement/investments funds, etc. I bought my house before I was 23 and never thought I was to young for that, however that's an actual investment. My P100D makes me happy so I really don't care what everyone else thinks as mentioned above.

I never thought I was going to spend this much money on a car, but I finally bought my 75D when is was 26. I bought my first house when i was 23, and I just paid it off. I think the best way to decide whether you can afford something is that you have the money to buy it without a loan, but get the loan so you can invest the money. and pay it off in case something goes wrong.

Reactions: Bebop and arcus
I'm kind of in the same boat. I just turned 28 the other day, and after spending a few years working a solid-paying job, I'm starting to realise that I can actually afford one or two luxuries. I'm honestly still mostly stuck in mode of a starving graduate student, and my expenses barely went up since I was in school. I guess it's not exactly a bad thing, but it's also important to remember that the reason for earning money is to be able to buy things. Lately I've been looking at cars in the < $80000 range, and I'm still shocked at dropping that amount of money on a vehicle. (Or really anything else, for that matter.) I still need to do some thinking to decide if this is something that I will get personal value out of, or if it's just a thing that will become old hat after a few weeks and return to being a box with four wheels, just like any other.

Anyway, congratulations to Keith909man for finally reaching your goal and buying the car you want! One milestone in many to come, I'm sure.