Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No cell signal when driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that the handoff from WIFI to LTE is not a soft transfer but a hard cut over and it will kill whatever is streaming. It's not a big deal, but often requires a reset of which channel one is listening to to get it back on.

My experience is that when the car indicates no connection, the piece that's playing continues until it ends. Apparently the whole piece is downloaded at one time. Then if it's slow to pick up the cell signal there will be a period of silence before the next begins. But I've never seen it forget the channel. (I've been listening to the Baroque channel instead of my usual USB drive.) It almost always forgets that it was playing the USB drive, but seems always to remember that it was listening to streaming, as well as what channel and what piece. It would never pick back up in the middle of a piece from the USB drive, but always seems to with streaming.

I have not yet taken the car out since getting 32.2 last night.

I had a drop of cell signal on my way home yesterday. As I have AT&T on my phone as well I checked to make sure it wasn't a tower issue (it wasn't). After a few miles I got service back. Not sure if it had a handoff hiccup or not. Restarting the MCU didn't fix it. Only time it has happened in the week that I have had the car.

Update. I am noticing a pattern.

At my house I have little/no cell signal, so have the car connected to WIFI, pretty good signal.

I left my house again yesterday, WiFi eventually drops off as I leave, but no LTE/3G. Drove for 20 mins without regaining a signal. Parked, could not access the car with my iPhone. Had lunch, got back in, LTE comes back straight away.

This doesnt happen all the time, sometimes I leave my house and it picks up LTE/3G even close to home. Can’t tell if this is just software or a service center worthy call....

I have had this issue as well, seems to happen when Ive been in and out of the car , charging, cooling all day than unable regain any connectivity. After the car is cooled and not been active in anyway seems to start working again. Seems to go hand in hand with other bugs like issues with EAP like when activated locks in at any speed regardless of speed limit. Usually within minutes the car realizes the oversight and again drops back to 10 above the posted speed limit. Anyone else seen what seem like heat related bugs?

@TexasEV @diamond.g and all others, I’m very curious how the car’s LTE signal reception has been for you, particularly in more remote areas where cell service is notoriously spotty. There are large areas in the Southeastern US (where I frequently travel for business) that have poor to no cell reception. Should I expect the same with my Model 3 when I get the car, or did they put a more powerful antenna in the car so that (at least) the car gets a better signal than my phone?

Apparently AT&T sells some sort of “signal booster” device you can install in your car that magnifies any available signal for your phone. One of my co-workers got one recently ($400 cost) and used it while driving through the mountains of Eastern KY. There were areas where he would traditional have NO BARS, no signal at all, and with this device he had 3 - 4 bars and could carry on a normal conversation on his phone! I’m assuming this signal booster would work for the Model 3s signal as well since it is AT&T, but is it needed?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.