Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No cell signal when driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that when I leave my home (and home wifi), the WIFI icon displays as a "no signal" type icon. If I tap it it says no wifi connection.

Should I be seeing an LTE connection when I leave WIFI like below? Any way I can fix this?

img939413348-1518197089613.jpg

I know if you keep your Tesla Credit Card Key (whatever it's called) in your wallet or anywhere with you while in the car, it will kill the LTE signal. I noticed this while taking my car to get the windows tinted.

Not the case for me. I always have the key card with me because the phone key is unreliable. It takes a minute or two after leaving wi-fi range of my house, but LTE comes on. The key card doesn't prevent it, and shouldn't.

I know if you keep your Tesla Credit Card Key (whatever it's called) in your wallet or anywhere with you while in the car, it will kill the LTE signal. I noticed this while taking my car to get the windows tinted.
Since the range on the key card is a few inches at best I don't see how this could be remotely possible unless you have it in your wallet and your wallet is in the cup holder closest to where you need to tap it to be able to drive. Even then I'd be highly sceptical that that is actually what is causing you to not have connectivity.

No, that’s not true. Everyone carries their card with them while driving, or at least they should. I’ve never lost the LTE signal in five months of driving my Model 3 with the key card in my wallet, and I don’t know any Model 3 owner who that’s happened to.

Since the range on the key card is a few inches at best I don't see how this could be remotely possible unless you have it in your wallet and your wallet is in the cup holder closest to where you need to tap it to be able to drive. Even then I'd be highly sceptical that that is actually what is causing you to not have connectivity.

It did happen for me, I think I was on 2018.24.x firmware when it happened. I have not tested it since receiving 2018.26.x or the latest 2018.32.x updates, but this did happen, and I had the card in my wallet because I intended to leave it with the tint man so he could move my car. When it happened all I could access was the FM radio. I got so worried I was about to email my Sales guy to make sure my Model 3 came with LTE for life.

It did happen for me, I think I was on 2018.24.x firmware when it happened. I have not tested it since receiving 2018.26.x or the latest 2018.32.x updates, but this did happen, and I had the card in my wallet because I intended to leave it with the tint man so he could move my car. When it happened all I could access was the FM radio. I got so worried I was about to email my Sales guy to make sure my Model 3 came with LTE for life.
Losing connectivity can happen for a multitude of reasons, having the key card in your wallet is probably the least likely of them. As I said, unless you had your wallet with the card in it next to the sensor, there is no way the car would know that the key card was in it.

Reactions: TexasEV
As one of the choices for SAT questions said years ago, “true, true,and unrelated.” In other words, correlation does not equal causation.

Reactions: dsvick
Losing connectivity can happen for a multitude of reasons, having the key card in your wallet is probably the least likely of them. As I said, unless you had your wallet with the card in it next to the sensor, there is no way the car would know that the key card was in it.

Well, since you so MF smart, and I'm sure you have a camera looking in my car to verify, I guess you might be right (sike!!). Tell me something all you SMART-ALIK people in this thread...why when I removed the Key Card from my wallet did my connectivity return? Answer that before you tell me something didn't happen.

• Disagree
Reactions: Megapsychotron
Well, since you so MF smart, and I'm sure you have a camera looking in my car to verify, I guess you might be right (sike!!). Tell me something all you SMART-ALIK people in this thread...why when I removed the Key Card from my wallet did my connectivity return? Answer that before you tell me something didn't happen.

There is no need to get defensive or resort to name calling. If that is indeed the case then you may have an issue with your vehicle's software or the card sensor and you should contact your nearest service center and have them investigate. Then report back and let us know the result, as I said it shouldn't be possible, or extremely difficult at any rate, for the key card in your wallet to be affecting your connectivity. And as @TexasEV said, there are, most likely, thousands of people that carry their cards with them everyday and they are not reporting this as an issue.

Coincidence. Coincidences happen all the time. You assume that because your connectivity returned when you removed the key card, that that must have been the cause. This is a fundamental logical fallacy: Post hoc ergo proctor hoc: It happened after, therefore it was caused by.

You could test it, though:

1. Recruit twenty Model 3 drivers who agree to the following terms:
2. Each puts the key card in their wallet and hands the wallet to a third party who removes the key card from half of them, keeping track of which card came from which wallet, but not telling the drivers or you, the experimenter.
3. Each drives their car and notes whether they have connectivity or not, and reports back.
4. Collate the data back, to see which had their key card and which did not, and who had connectivity and who did not.

A single case proves nothing, because something else might have happened at the same time.

A simpler test:

Have your spouse or a friend remove your key card some days but not others, without telling you which. See which days you have connectivity.

I predict there will be no correlation, and connectivity will likely be on and off during the same drive regardless of the presence or absence of the card, unless there's a problem that prevents connectivity entirely.

Bottom line: Nobody here doubts that your connectivity returned when you removed the card. We're just saying that was not the cause.

Basic scientific logic and procedure. Post hoc ergo proctor hoc accounts for most, if not all, of the superstition in the world.

• Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Coincidence. Coincidences happen all the time. You assume that because your connectivity returned when you removed the key card, that that must have been the cause. This is a fundamental logical fallacy: Post hoc ergo proctor hoc: It happened after, therefore it was caused by.

You could test it, though:

1. Recruit twenty Model 3 drivers who agree to the following terms:
2. Each puts the key card in their wallet and hands the wallet to a third party who removes the key card from half of them, keeping track of which card came from which wallet, but not telling the drivers or you, the experimenter.
3. Each drives their car and notes whether they have connectivity or not, and reports back.
4. Collate the data back, to see which had their key card and which did not, and who had connectivity and who did not.

A single case proves nothing, because something else might have happened at the same time.

A simpler test:

Have your spouse or a friend remove your key card some days but not others, without telling you which. See which days you have connectivity.

I predict there will be no correlation, and connectivity will likely be on and off during the same drive regardless of the presence or absence of the card, unless there's a problem that prevents connectivity entirely.

Bottom line: Nobody here doubts that your connectivity returned when you removed the card. We're just saying that was not the cause.

Basic scientific logic and procedure. Post hoc ergo proctor hoc accounts for most, if not all, of the superstition in the world.

You wrote all that, and it doesn't make sense . Your basic logic, is simply a fallacy to satisfy some illogical reasoning that you want someone to believe. I told you what happened, end of story. Believe it or not it happened I have no reason to come to the TMC forum and lie, just share my experience. Believe it, or don't believe it, but I'm done.

Hater!