Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No confidence driving the MYP in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Really hoping to get some help here. Picked up my MYP a month ago and everything was fine. I swapped my wheels over from the Turbines to 255/45/19 Michelling X-Ice Snow tires and ever since then the car flails and wobbles like nobody business. Every time the regen kicks in the car feels unstable and dives to the front left. On acceleration, it jumps to the front right. At turns, it basically spins out every time regardless of road condition (obviously more so on the snow/ice). Tire pressure and everything is fine at 40psi on all 4.

I'm not confident driving this car whatsoever. Feel super unsafe driving it and don't understand what's going on. My M3 dual motor was AMAZING in the winter and I never had any trouble. BUt this has been absolute trash. I even found a post somewhere that said to do a drivetrain (or whatever) calibration by accelerating hard between 5-20 and braking 5 to 10 times but this didn't help.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Same tires as M3?

What software are you currently on?

Have you tried off road assist?

Have you or are you using “chill” acceleration mode?

The M3 I had in the past was on Michelin X-Ice 3 tires which are supposed to be the older version of the Snow's.
I'm on the latest firmware. 2021.44.30
Have not tried off-road assist but I found some posts after I made this thread about it. This will be my next step.
Yes, this happens regardless of "Chill" or "Sport" mode.

Would alignment cause this? Because normally it drives pretty straight. To that - No, I haven't had that checked yet. Have an appointment on January 11th with the SC to take it in and see.
"On acceleration, it jumps to the front right. At turns, it basically spins out every time regardless of road condition (obviously more so on the snow/ice)."

That sounds like it could be related to alignment (also check wheel balance...). The drivetrain is direct drive so it wouldn't cause this unless one wheel or more is misaligned.

Michelin X-ice tires are very soft because of the ice sipes. The car will certainly not feel as stable, but it would have been the same on another car with the same tires.
Your car is very powerful. Medium acceleration will go over the grip limit. Yes the car will catch up and you won't spin out (stability and traction controls) but the feeling is there. You either accelerate less hard or learn to accept the sudden loss and regaining of grip. The only way for the car to figure out where maximum traction is is to go past it.
Regen is braking. If you let go of the accelerator too quickly, you are in essence braking hard. Obviously the car will duck forward and wheels might lose traction for a fraction of a second. Same here, must go over the limit to find the limit. You can regen less by being smoother with the accelerator.

Hey all,

Really hoping to get some help here. Picked up my MYP a month ago and everything was fine. I swapped my wheels over from the Turbines to 255/45/19 Michelling X-Ice Snow tires and ever since then the car flails and wobbles like nobody business. Every time the regen kicks in the car feels unstable and dives to the front left. On acceleration, it jumps to the front right. At turns, it basically spins out every time regardless of road condition (obviously more so on the snow/ice). Tire pressure and everything is fine at 40psi on all 4.

I'm not confident driving this car whatsoever. Feel super unsafe driving it and don't understand what's going on. My M3 dual motor was AMAZING in the winter and I never had any trouble. BUt this has been absolute trash. I even found a post somewhere that said to do a drivetrain (or whatever) calibration by accelerating hard between 5-20 and braking 5 to 10 times but this didn't help.

I don't know what the specific problems with your car may be, I suspect the previous posters are correct in that you may either have an alignment issue. Just for a point of reference I have the MYP and have been driving around in about 7 inches of fresh snow to snow packed icy roads over the past week in the Colorado snow storm. I am running the 255/45/19 Continental Viking Contact tires on 19" wheels. I have not experienced anything that you are noting with instability or wobbling. Yes, if I accelerate quickly on snow/ice the vehicle will temporarily spin, then traction control kicks in and corrects. If I suddenly let off the accelerator or tap the brakes quickly, then obviously the vehicle will slide. It drives much in the same way that any powerfull all wheel drive vehicle would operate with snow tires. I would adjust your driving style to accomodate for the power (use Chill Mode and/or Off Road Assist). If you still are experiencing something unusual compared to other high power AWD vehicles, then proceed to getting your alignment checked. If that check's out and you still think something is wrong schedule a service appt. I highly doubt it's anything other than driving style or alignment though.

Given OP has come from another Tesla product with AWD the experience is quite queer.

I agree with other posters in letting the traction control figure it out and just be smooth with the acceleration pedal. Abrupt changes are what cause instability in the snow.

My though would be find a “safe” space to test the limits and ability of traction control and stability control to see where the limits are. I bet you find that 25mph and under, the car should be able to handle much of anything with decent snow tires (which you have).

Off road assist will turn off traction control which could be either really positive or quite the opposite. Let us know how that feels to you.

If what others say is true, once the car senses slip, it supposedly engages the front motor the rest of the trip. If that is truly the case, I’d rip the throttle from a stop to engage the front motor and then have a level of confidence the car will remain in AWD the rest of the journey. Worth a shot but it sounds like you’ve tried something similar to this already.

Reactions: 804son
The front motor doesn't stay "the rest of the trip". Once the car has detected slippage, it does use the front motor more for acceleration and regen. However, it continuously learns. If after a while it doesn't feel and slipping it will revert to rear only as it's more efficient. Start slipping again and the front will come back.

ICE tires are seriously more supple than other winter (snow) tires because they have a lot more cuts in the rubber. Instead of having big blocks they have 10x more smaller pieces. When you play with the steering at highway speeds you can clearly feel the tires fold around. Someone that's not used to ice tires might feel unsafe for a while.

Try driving with regen off for a while and see if you can regain some confidence.

I’m not experiencing the same issues with my MYLR except turning. When turning from a stop on icy roads I have to be a little careful with the acceleration so the rear end doesn’t break loose.

Unfortunately, I have no controls for regen in my MYP which is annoying for sure. The vehicle just feels wobbly and not stable. At low speeds, this is much more noticeable than at higher speeds. I always feel like the vehicle is going sideways.

Hey all,

You might consider that you have defective tires or a bad installation. I'd go back to where you purchased them.