Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO-DRILL license plate & Radar problem??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has similar experience. I have an AP1 model S. I had installed the no drill license plate holder like this from EVANNEX. I am not certain but it seems I started to notice problem with my front radar after heavy rain. After some time of heavy rain, I will start getting message like Autopilot features are not working and it may start to work after the car restarts. Despite what the message suggests Autopilot does not work after restart of the car. But it usually starts to work after sometime the rain stops. I checked the sensor but nothing appears to be blocking the sensor.

I couldn't pin point since it didn't rain heavily after I first install it. But it seems somewhat logical to be the cause as it is installed directly on top of the radar sensor. Anyone seen this? I am out of warranty right now so I'd like to trouble shoot as much as I can before taking it back to Tesla. Thanks!

I doubt you did this but I think it's possible and your statement of it being "directly on top of the radar sensor" is a bit ambiguous so I'll ask: You mounted the bracket right, right? I think you can mount it "down" or "up" but you only want to mount it "up" so that it sits directly in front of the nose cone. I think you can actually mount it "down" and if you do this it will block the front radar which would cause issues, obviously. As long as you mounted it properly it shouldn't obstruct any of your sensors and shouldn't be the cause of any of your issues.

You may need to do a both scroll wheel reboot to clear the front radar error message once the heavy rain has cleared. I can’t be sure but that’s what seemed to help when I’d had a similar problem with snow/slush buildup that I’d cleared. It might have cleared on its own then or sometime later but the reboot got me going again with autopilot.

Hi,

I believe it’s mounted correctly otherwise the radar detector/autopilot will never have worked. I also I tried reboot both the MCU and instrument console but no dice.... I am curious to see if anyone who has installed this device for a long time had any experience with rain related autopilot issue. I am considering to install the drilled in license plate if this won’t go away. I think it’s more likely that my radar sensor is off or defective somehow. It just seems coincidental that shortly after I installed this license plate holder that I started having this autopilot problem. The problem occurs after heavy rain and recovers itself after it drys up after a while (and the autopilot doesn’t recover right away after the rain first stopped)....

I've got the same bracket on two AP1 cars and it didn't change the autopilot behavior for a data point.

That being said, I've got another model S that is AP1 that I don't have plates on yet and occasionally the car wash will cause it to do odd things when autopilot is engaged. It likes to favor the right side of the lane and it displays shows as much too. So it's not like it thinks it's in the middle but it's hugging the right of the lane. It actually knows it's in the right of the lane and continues that way.

I feel like after this latest batch of firmware updates these issues have revealed themselves but they are very sporadic. I don't have any firm proof of it it's just something I started noticing wood in the last month or so. I feel like that could be more your problem than the license plate bracket but I'm just guessing since I'm not there to see it myself. I just know that in my instance this bracket hasn't caused any issues on two AP1 cars that I have.