Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No front plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From an engineering perspective, that front plate holder just doesn't sit right with me. The holder itself looks okay in strength, but it looks like it transfers all the wind load directly onto those thin plastic strips. I would have less concern if it butted up against the bumper with a rubber guard. Just noting that and it may be fine. Just would not want to break that part accidentally.

I will be picking up my Model 3 saturday and will run it front plate free for a while, but may add a front license plate holder next year. I drive through a school zone daily with a bike cop who regularly checks everyone's stickers when they are driving by. Its almost a certainty to get pulled over in the morning without a front plate.

Will probably check back here once that happens.

Reactions: paco878
If anything happens adversely to ours, I'll post an update here. It's been doing fine, this far.
From an engineering perspective, that front plate holder just doesn't sit right with me. The holder itself looks okay in strength, but it looks like it transfers all the wind load directly onto those thin plastic strips. I would have less concern if it butted up against the bumper with a rubber guard. Just noting that and it may be fine. Just would not want to break that part accidentally.

I will be picking up my Model 3 saturday and will run it front plate free for a while, but may add a front license plate holder next year. I drive through a school zone daily with a bike cop who regularly checks everyone's stickers when they are driving by. Its almost a certainty to get pulled over in the morning without a front plate.

Will probably check back here once that happens.
If anything happens adversely to ours, I'll post an update here. It's been doing fine, this far. I have thought about your idea, in placing some adhesive bump stops, but so far, it hasn't flexed enough to come close to touching the car.

Afternoon,

For those of you who do not have a front plate, what has your experience been with any violations? Have you had an officer pull you over specifically for lack of a front plate, has it been an "add-on" violation, or no issue at all yet?

I understand this is EXTREMELY "your mileage may vary", but I'm curious. This is predominantly in reference to the Houston/Pearland area, for what it's worth.
here in SF the meter maids will ticket you for no front plate. I suspect that this will become a national trend as the need for funding government infrastructure increases and government surveillance from the deep state increases #conspiracytheory #kiddingsortof

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy
Ours on our Model X has been in place for 21 months with no issues.

I recently got my model 3 this past month and drive thru Comal, Hays, & Travis county on a near daily basis.. I'm debating on putting my front plates on the car and wonder if anyone can share their experience driving in these counties without a front plate. Thanks!

Model S owner since 2012 - never had a front plate. Never been stopped.

same here. i live in sugar land area- regularly driving fort bend, harris, brazoria and galveston counties, for past 12 years without a front plate. currently have MS- previously owned Mercedes CLS550 and BMW 5 Series- all without a plate. pulled over once in brenham (washington county) but not ticketed.

I recently got my model 3 this past month and drive thru Comal, Hays, & Travis county on a near daily basis.. I'm debating on putting my front plates on the car and wonder if anyone can share their experience driving in these counties without a front plate. Thanks!
Before we put ours on our Model X, my wife was stopped and ticketed out in the western, more rural part of Travis County. We didn't put one on for that reason, only when we needed it to actually allow my daughter to take a driving test (as stated a few posts up). Just a data point.

same here. i live in sugar land area- regularly driving fort bend, harris, brazoria and galveston counties, for past 12 years without a front plate. currently have MS- previously owned Mercedes CLS550 and BMW 5 Series- all without a plate. pulled over once in brenham (washington county) but not ticketed.

A Clear Lake resident here for 3 years, so experience is on the SE side of town. Own both S and X. Pulled over in each vehicle in Houston proper - S after two weeks in town, was able to avoid ticket because I was within my "30 day new resident" window and had not yet gotten TX plates. X after two years, ticketed (we believe this was to help a new officer get training/meet his quota at the end of the month because two cars did the traffic stop).