Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No garage door opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its crazy that this feature is not included, its comes standard in a Honda Civic! And who in there right mind would pay 300.00 vs using your garage door opener you can clip on the visor. Tesla you ae being cheap!!!!! You need to do a system update and add this to all cars.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Its crazy that this feature is not included, its comes standard in a Honda Civic! And who in there right mind would pay 300.00 vs using your garage door opener you can clip on the visor. Tesla you ae being cheap!!!!! You need to do a system update and add this to all cars.
Even though I bought it, I really think Homelink is going the way of the dodo. All the new garage openers are smart now so something like homelink is no longer needed. It's probably smart of them to remove the hardware and avoid paying licensing fees if people are not going to be using it.

Even though I bought it, I really think Homelink is going the way of the dodo. All the new garage openers are smart now so something like homelink is no longer needed. It's probably smart of them to remove the hardware and avoid paying licensing fees if people are not going to be using it.

Correct. GenTex is charging an arm and a leg for Homelink licensing. Just helped someone buy a Subaru; their Homelink mirror was $369, so either there’s a Homelink Cabal trying to stick it to garage door owners, or Occam’s Razor actually applies.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Correct. GenTex is charging an arm and a leg for Homelink licensing. Just helped someone buy a Subaru; their Homelink mirror was $369, so either there’s a Homelink Cabal trying to stick it to garage door owners, or Occam’s Razor actually applies.
Yes. I also bought the Subaru mirror when I owned Subarus. People think all this stuff are "free" on the other cars. LOL.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Wait wait wait. It’s almost 2022 and people are still surprised about this?

I dont know... I find it amusing that someone would join the forum, and make their very first post in a necro thread from over a year ago, just to complain about something that hasnt been included since 2019.

I dont know... I find it amusing that someone would join the forum, and make their very first post in a necro thread from over a year ago, just to complain about something that hasnt been included since 2019.
Actually I think it is normal for someone with 1 post to do this. If they have many posts, they would have known this already. It is the people who just bought one and then found out would have posted it. Whenever I told people who do not own a new Tesla that new Tesla does not come with homelink, their reaction is the same: "A $50K car that does have homelink?".

BTW, it is pretty handy to have your Tesla homelink as retro fit smart garage door. The other day our son forgot his key when he got to our house and we are not home. Since one of the Tesla is in the garage, I could just use the Tesla app to open the garage door so he could get in to find the hidden key to come into the house from the garage.

I don't mind paying for it as most manufacturers have this as a line item or part of a package, but this really should be something that can be configured within the initial build/order process.

Presumably Tesla- which has infinitely more data than we do on:

The % of buyers who actually want/use it
and
The amount of trouble it is to swap in (or not) at the factory

Made the decision that makes more sense, and based on those factors, found it's cheaper/faster/easier to offer it the way they do.

If it were easier to do at the factory as an option they'd have done that instead, since the factory was where they originally were doing it on all cars.

But presumably by removing that step from manufacturing they sped up the line so much it more than pays for the hour of labor for a service center (which is also owned by Tesla) to do it for the % of cars that still want it.

Reactions: dmurphy
Actually I think it is normal for someone with 1 post to do this. If they have many posts, they would have known this already. It is the people who just bought one and then found out would have posted it. Whenever I told people who do not own a new Tesla that new Tesla does not come with homelink, their reaction is the same: "A $50K car that does have homelink?".

The point I was trying to make is, this hasnt been an included feature in the car since 2019, so its not "new" that its not included. They either knew it was not included, and then joined here, and found an old thread to necro rez and post in to complain, or they bought a brand new car without looking into what features were included in it.

I personally cant imagine spending as much as pretty much any new vehicle costs and not knowing what features it comes with, especially if its something I feel strongly enough about to then join a website I have never been to before simply to make a post to complain about it.

If it were easier to do at the factory as an option they'd have done that instead, since the factory was where they originally were doing it on all cars.

But presumably by removing that step from manufacturing they sped up the line so much it more than pays for the hour of labor for a service center (which is also owned by Tesla) to do it for the % of cars that still want it.

I suspect it’s not so much that it sped up manufacturing, but it would add another factor to matching cars post build. Right now, the only build parameters are:
Trim - SR vs LR vs P
Exterior color
Interior color
Wheels

So once built, it’s fairly simple to match. Adding Homelink at the factory would simply double the build configurations. Most likely much easier and quicker to add after the fact.

Now, what they DO need is the ability for the delivery center to install prior to pickup. But given that this switch to “after sale Homelink” was made in the era of the 7-day-no-questions-asked return policy, it made sense to delay at least that long.

I personally cant imagine spending as much as pretty much any new vehicle costs and not knowing what features it comes with, especially if its something I feel strongly enough about to then join a website I have never been to before simply to make a post to complain about it.
I see your point, but I have to disagree. Because we ordered our Model X right after the test drive without any research into EV or Tesla at all. I did do research after the fact, Tesla is just so amazing to drive you really don't care about how much you spent!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have a 2018 Model 3. I came with homelink (LTE also). It's not a big deal for the garage opener I could have always clipped the original remote to the visor. The real convenient feature is our communities front gate. The gate opens just as I turn into the entrance drive. No button pressing necessary.

The presence of a homelink device is hardly a blip on the radar compared to the almost total lack of any kind of rear traffic warning device on any Tesla. My- 2016 Toyota Camry warns me about cars, bikes, pedestrians that the rear view mirror or camera can't see. tesla's nothing. If you want to get worked up, this is something you might want to focus on