Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No iPhone access to my 85D the EE networks doesn't work in the North Downs in Surrey!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wonderful new S85D is amazing to drive, but I have a serious problem, I live in the range of hills that divides London from the southern home counties; my problem is that using my iPhone app I'm unable to connect with my Tesla, using the only mobile/cellphone network that is currently being used here in Surrey in the UK! :scared: I'm told Tesla have chosen the 'EE'/ ex-Orange network as their/our local provider, which is a disaster where I live!

I've just spent over £80.000 quid on my beautiful new car, but Tesla UK should allow me & other users to connect via an alternative cellular phone network. Instead of taking approximately 90 minutes to install the latest software update, it failed so many times, it took almost an entire weekend!

I can't even get my internet radio to work, using 'Tune-In' radio it keeps dropping out failing to remain connected! In order to find and store 'Favorite' Internet Radio stations, I have to drive to my local village, but when I arrive home it cuts out - this is not good enough!!! As for searching using 'Google' forget it! :mad:

Here where I live in Surrey we have excellent coverage via the 'O2' network. I've asked 'Tesla Customer Services' to rectify this single provider issue and sign-up with at least one or more network, however I seem to be growing old waiting for a solution! :confused:

My wonderful new S85D is amazing to drive, but I have a serious problem, I live in the range of hills that divides London from the southern home counties; my problem is that using my iPhone app I'm unable to connect with my Tesla, using the only mobile/cellphone network that is currently being used here in Surrey in the UK! :scared: I'm told Tesla have chosen the 'EE'/ ex-Orange network as their/our local provider, which is a disaster where I live!

I've just spent over £80.000 quid on my beautiful new car, but Tesla UK should allow me & other users to connect via an alternative cellular phone network. Instead of taking approximately 90 minutes to install the latest software update, it failed so many times, it took almost an entire weekend!

I can't even get my internet radio to work, using 'Tune-In' radio it keeps dropping out failing to remain connected! In order to find and store 'Favorite' Internet Radio stations, I have to drive to my local village, but when I arrive home it cuts out - this is not good enough!!! As for searching using 'Google' forget it! :mad:

Here where I live in Surrey we have excellent coverage via the 'O2' network. I've asked 'Tesla Customer Services' to rectify this single provider issue and sign-up with at least one or more network, however I seem to be growing old waiting for a solution! :confused:
In the UK As in the rest of Europe, Tesla did a deal with Telefonica ie O2.

There is an issue in that the IP address your car is given is a Spanish one. That's enough to stop you accessing the UK BBC site and if you try google.com you'll get the Spanish version.

Tesla is apparently negotiating for a better deal which includes 4G. We do not know who with.

what they did say late last her was that if you were in an area with zero 3G signal the car would now roam to one of the other networks. Unfortunately if there's a 2G signal where you are, the car locks on that and doesn't roam to a decent competitor 3G signal.

At least as far as firmware is concerned, have the car connect over Wifi to your home Wifi network. Then you at least get firmware updates that way. Also, you can tether to your phone over Wifi and share your phone's data plan and therefore your phone's connectivity.