Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No load center/electrical panel upgrade needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, 230.79(C) requires the service disconnecting means for a dwelling unit to be rated 100A or more, and 230.42(B) requires the service conductors to be rated not less than what 230.79 requires. However, I don't see an actual requirement for the breaker to be rated at 100A.

If upgrading the service requires $19K and 6 months, there are certainly cheaper ways to put up to 15.9 kW solar on a 100A service (less if there are Powerwalls).

Cheers, Wayne

How would you do it?

If that Service panel will take a 100A breaker on the bus you are golden, just feed a 200A subpanel from the 100A main service panel, and then relocate all the loads from the msp to the new panel. You could backfeed up to 100A of PV into that service in that case.

It works best if you can put the new subpanel right on the backside of the existing service panel. Then most of the wires will reach.

Or instead of the 200A panel, you can use a feeder splice to feed a 100A main breaker load panel and a 100A generation panel. If using Powerwalls, the new Backup Gateway 2 makes that easy.

Cheers, Wayne

You have it exactly right Wayne, but if you only use a 100A subpanel you are limited to 100A of loads. you can put in as large as a 200A with 200A mb, even though the MSP can deliver only 100A, the PV+PW can deliver another 100A combined.

If you are going that far, might as well go all the way!

We signed with a local company who will do the MSP upgrade for $2000, whereas Tesla wanted almost $4000.

Regardless, for my situation, it looks like my roof is incompatible for Tesla panels, although they did offer to do a solar roof. We have clay "S" tiles. Here is their email:

Based on a review of several aspects of your home, including roof type, shading, available roof space, rafter spacing and equipment compatibility, we determined that we are unable to install solar panels on your home due to an incompatible mounting solution for your roof type. Please find a list of approved roof types below. If you believe that your roof material falls under one of these types, please reply to this email with a current photo for further review.

• Composite Shingle
  • Concrete Tile
  • Standing Seam Metal
  • Rolled Asphalt (Only available in AZ, CA, HI, NV, NM)
  • Foam (Only available in AZ and NM)
  • Corrugated Metal (Only available in HI)

We signed with a local company who will do the MSP upgrade for $2000, whereas Tesla wanted almost $4000.

Regardless, for my situation, it looks like my roof is incompatible for Tesla panels, although they did offer to do a solar roof. We have clay "S" tiles. Here is their email:

Based on a review of several aspects of your home, including roof type, shading, available roof space, rafter spacing and equipment compatibility, we determined that we are unable to install solar panels on your home due to an incompatible mounting solution for your roof type. Please find a list of approved roof types below. If you believe that your roof material falls under one of these types, please reply to this email with a current photo for further review.

• Composite Shingle
  • Concrete Tile
  • Standing Seam Metal
  • Rolled Asphalt (Only available in AZ, CA, HI, NV, NM)
  • Foam (Only available in AZ and NM)
  • Corrugated Metal (Only available in HI)

Take a look my thread they offered me solar panels 16kw for $127k at least they offered you solar tiles. The solar business is not going to last long with this sort of thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Redhill_qik