Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sleeps, car awake for 3 days after enabling unlock at home option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't matter. Teslamate doesn't wake up the car when it fetches updates because it no longer polls for data. It uses the streaming socket API

I disabled the option and my car has been asleep since then. It's pretty conclusive considering I've switched the option on and off and that has determined if it can go to sleep or not with 100% accuracy.

You are sure you are not bitten by this?
F/W 2020.24.6.1 and 'stay unlocked at home' inhibits sleeping · Issue #818 · adriankumpf/teslamate

This isssue is from *after* the switch to streaming socket. Seems it does keep the car awake even when on streaming.

You are sure you are not bitten by this?
F/W 2020.24.6.1 and 'stay unlocked at home' inhibits sleeping · Issue #818 · adriankumpf/teslamate

This isssue is from *after* the switch to streaming socket. Seems it does keep the car awake even when on streaming.

I disabled polling while unlocked option in teslamate.

I went back to the car to enable unlock at home option, but when I got into the menu, it was already checked off. So apparently the firmware has a hard time keeping that option disabled.

So I left and let the car go back to sleep. It went to sleep in 17 mins.

I went back to the car after it was asleep (without my phone) and the car was unlocked, so that's verified as being enabled. Let the car go back to sleep.

17 mins later its asleep.

So this option being disabled in teslamate fixed the bug:

Sleep Mode [] Vehicle must be locked

The bug is limited to teslamate polling. May affect other metric apps too.

Which is good to have resolved, because the car was eating 5% battery per day when it was awake.

Reactions: Transformer
The translation I got from this thread was:

"Third party app doesnt play nice with a new tesla feature again, and additional settings needed to be set in the third party app to enable regular tesla settings to function".

Somewhat tongue in cheek, sure, but also true.

yep, except the streaming api was supposed to avoid issues like waking the car up by polling. So thats the only surprise here.

Yeah I hear you. its stuff like this that keeps me from doing it, however. The setup for teslamate looks pretty straight forward, I have a spare PI laying around.... but I dont want to deal with some feature of the car or other not working and having to troubleshoot that. I troubleshoot IT stuff in my day job, so I have the classic case of "dont want to bother when I am not working" syndrome.

I was seriously about to download teslamate, but now I see it can have the same issues as the others, so.... shrug.

Note, I am not saying its bad, or there is anything wrong with it.. its just my desire for things on the car to "work or be caused by tesla itself" outway my desire for the data that is provided.

This is the first issue I've had with it, and it's really not a big deal since I can either disable the flag on the console, or disable the feature on the car. Been running it for 6 months, and for 10 months prior I had teslafi.

Self hosted is a lot nicer.

This is the first issue I've had with it, and it's really not a big deal since I can either disable the flag on the console, or disable the feature on the car.

So does the car sleep OK without teslamate?

I'm driving just a few miles per week during shelter-in-place, and until recently the car was getting software updates more often than charges. But now it seems to be draining the battery just sitting unlocked in the garage, although I haven't tried to collect data on it yet.

Wondering whether to go back to walkaway lock even at home.

So does the car sleep OK without teslamate?

I'm driving just a few miles per week during shelter-in-place, and until recently the car was getting software updates more often than charges. But now it seems to be draining the battery just sitting unlocked in the garage, although I haven't tried to collect data on it yet.

Wondering whether to go back to walkaway lock even at home.

No need to disable anything in the car. Just uncheck the following on teslamate and the car will sleep like a baby
upload_2020-7-28_9-36-7.png

Reactions: Transformer