Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more $35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to see the charity donations, you are some good people

I think my predictions were just about right, including the in between base model upgrade. Now it's going to be interesting to see how much deliveries increase for March/April and how well Tesla improves service - they are going to need that to be better than ever with the influx of orders.

Also look forward to seeing someone here posting dyno readings after the 5% peak power increase on the existing models.

I myself was not expecting the 35K to be available until the tax credit was 1875.

Good news for those getting a deal but certainly bad news for the centers and their employees.

Nothing is free. Not even death.

Here's my guess as to how this "$35k Model 3" deal all shakes out.

- Tesla continues to be nebulous about the timeline for the $35k Model 3. In fact, so nebulous, no one at Tesla will even say anything about a "$35k (before incentives) base Model 3" anymore. They will simply reference the "standard range" 3.
- the narrative of the "$35k (AFTER incentives) base Model 3" will continue to be pounded into people's heads, to slowly erode the memories of the $35k (before incentives) 3.
- Secretly, Tesla hopes more and more people that reserved on 31 March 2016 that planned to buy a base $35k, pre-incentive Model 3 all along request refunds or buy another Tesla product, reducing the numbers of people with reservations still waiting for the mythical $35k 3
- Tesla will use the expiration of the $3,750, then $1,875 credit to push people to buy whatever the lowest cost Model 3 being offered before tax incentives are completely gone (hopefully getting more 31 March '16 deposit holders to make the plunge).
- the Model Y will be unveiled, and deposit holders STILL holding out for the $35k Model 3 will be given the option of transferring the 3 deposit to get on the Y reservation list
- FINALLY, when the number of $35k Model 3 deposit holders is shrunken to a small enough number, Elon will announce that "due to a lack of demand", the $35k Model 3 will not be produced, but for those still holding deposits from 2016, they will be honored and a very limited number of $35k Model 3s will finally be produced.

Well damn, aside from a couple of minor details, call me Brostradamus.

Do you have a source for that?

I'm genuinely asking, it's not a troll, I just need it to back up the claim if I mention it anywhere else because the Tesla fans will never accept it.
Talking about Tesla losing money of $35K Model 3....

Elon and Tesla consistently promised the $35K Model 3, and have allowed it to be ordered for 5 - 6 weeks, and having fulfilled that promise are withdrawing it.
Demand was relatively low. Not a big surprise since the SR+ was much better value, and if you willing to pay $35K for the SR, paying the extra $2K (plus sales tax) for the SR+ was going to be a total no-brainer for people who could afford the extra 5% on the monthly payment.

So facing low demand for a product they are about to drop, they are solving that by software-locking some of the SR+ capabilities to create an SR somewhat better than the version they sold, and a lot better that the version they outlined three years ago. Better for Tesla to take a hit on the CofGS for a few Model 3 units than spend the money getting a new variant into production for a few weeks.

However, don't call the SR completely gone, because Tesla may find it economic to bring it back at some point in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Do you have a source for that?

I'm genuinely asking, it's not a troll, I just need it to back up the claim if I mention it anywhere else because the Tesla fans will never accept it.

I would not assume that they lose money, but I would believe that they don’t make enough to be profitable to cover the other expenses incurred. In other words, the margin is not high enough.

But who knows!

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Tell your friends to read this article if they have any questions about the viability of a $35K Model 3.

Tesla’s original plan for the $35,000 Model 3 is dead

One could successfully argue that the plan for the US$35K Model 3 was achieved and, in absence of a substantial market volume, that variant was promptly EOL'ed.

Because of inflation, $35K in 2016 is equivalent to somewhere between $37K and $38K in 2019. Therefore, one could then argue that the $37.5K SR+ is the superior true successor to the 2016 view of a $35K Model 3.
But currently Tesla threw in AP for $2K and it became a US$39,500 vehicle.

Tell your friends to read this article if they have any questions about the viability of a $35K Model 3.

Tesla’s original plan for the $35,000 Model 3 is dead
The $35K Model 3 is dead, long live the even better than planned $35K Model 3"? o_O

"The stripper isn't what most people buy" is hardly a surprising outcome for an automobile, right? Or for most consumer items with a range of price-points.

This in fact is exactly what happened with the Model S 40, too. It was there, Tesla provided it to customers that wanted it as promised, only very few customers actually were buying that variant anyway so Tesla made things easier for themselves and streamlined their logistics...by providing an ultimately better vehicle (and value) to customers.

Last edited:
The $35K Model 3 as it has been newly defined is an amazing deal. I’ve been telling all of my friends who were on the fence to grab one before they go away.

The problem is they look at the car and think it looks great, but they want it in white, and they want the 19” wheels, and of course they have to have Auto Pilot, and now they are looking at $41,000 for the car, and so they decide it’s not really a $35K car and they don’t move forward on it.

The car is a great value if you go with black and 18” wheels and don’t bother with Auto Pilot. For me the Auto Pilot is a non issue because I rarely drive on the freeway. But even if you do a lot of freeway driving, having a $35K Base Model 3 without AP, paint and wheel upgrades is still better than having any other car out there. They just can’t get past the price of the options bringing the total price of the car up so much.

The $35K Model 3 as it has been newly defined is an amazing deal. I’ve been telling all of my friends who were on the fence to grab one before they go away.

The problem is they look at the car and think it looks great, but they want it in white, and they want the 19” wheels, and of course they have to have Auto Pilot, and now they are looking at $41,000 for the car, and so they decide it’s not really a $35K car and they don’t move forward on it.

The car is a great value if you go with black and 18” wheels and don’t bother with Auto Pilot. For me the Auto Pilot is a non issue because I rarely drive on the freeway. But even if you do a lot of freeway driving, having a $35K Base Model 3 without AP, paint and wheel upgrades is still better than having any other car out there. They just can’t get past the price of the options bringing the total price of the car up so much.

Yeah. But they also don’t realize there isn’t a better $41,000 car out there either. The average new car is like $34,000. If they drive an average amount of miles per year their gas savings and the tax credit make it cheaper than that.

Reactions: ChrisH
LOL

Get smarter friends. Or at least ones that have ever bought something with options. Not necessarily even an automobile, just something like McDonalds meal. Or Nintendo's Crystal Chronicles ("How Could They Do Such A Thing", Penny Arcade, Aug 25, 2003, not linked due to "adult" language).

Last edited: