Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more standard leather seats in design studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the Black Leather drop on Monday 12-14-15. Options wiki updated...
What is next??

Regarding the rear seat headrests.... I plan on running my S with the rear seats folded down which totally removes the obstruction.
My XC60 is normally configured that way. Easy enough to pop up the rear seats on the rare occasion I would be using them.
I know quite a few S owners who roll in that configuration.

BTW guys... in the Tesla Accessories area of the Tesla Website.... well... the "rare" Rear Seat Premium Console in Tan Leather with Obeche Matte or Gloss is now back in stock and order able as of this afternoon.
Nudge Nudge. It has been out of stock for about 5 months or so... Do not delay.

This was bound to happen. I think they just wanted to exhaust the supply they had.

Made absolutely no sense to get the standard leather seats when the Next Gen seats were available. At least to us the Next Gen seats were a huge improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW guys... in the Tesla Accessories area of the Tesla Website.... well... the "rare" Rear Seat Premium Console in Tan Leather with Obeche Matte or Gloss is now back in stock and order able as of this afternoon.
Nudge Nudge. It has been out of stock for about 5 months or so... Do not delay.

Too bad they have yet to release a front console with matching trim...

With the front console it appears you have ONE option.... Black with Piano Black....
Some enterprising folk will probably offer stick on overlays to match the Tesla Interior trim options.
Carbon Fibre would appear easy but Obeche could cause a problem.. hard to find that in any very thin veneer that matches... and I have been looking.

This was bound to happen. I think they just wanted to exhaust the supply they had.

Made absolutely no sense to get the standard leather seats when the Next Gen seats were available. At least to us the Next Gen seats were a huge improvement.

I agree. The old seats belonged in a fat a$$ Mercury ... the Next Gen are outstanding. :wink:

80-12_15_3_3b12af7ea2c0f5539f80da83a05f55a4e29d688d.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely love the Next-Gen seats, but I don't agree with the decision to make them the only leather option.

The problem is the side-boosters are simply not meant for bigger people. Sure they snug me awesomely, but that's because I'm 6'4" and 190 pounds.

If they want to have the next-gen seats as the only leather option they're going to need to add adjustable side boosters like Porsche has.

With the front console it appears you have ONE option.... Black with Piano Black....
Some enterprising folk will probably offer stick on overlays to match the Tesla Interior trim options.
Carbon Fibre would appear easy but Obeche could cause a problem.. hard to find that in any very thin veneer that matches... and I have been looking.

I'm generally completely against stick-on trim bits. The whole point is if it is wood, it needs to be wood and if it is CF, it should be CF. Otherwise I feel like you are just pasting over a glorified decal...

I'm still hoping next year they do something with the center console to match the trim of the rest of the car.

I absolutely love the Next-Gen seats, but I don't agree with the decision to make them the only leather option.

The problem is the side-boosters are simply not meant for bigger people. Sure they snug me awesomely, but that's because I'm 6'4" and 190 pounds.

If they want to have the next-gen seats as the only leather option they're going to need to add adjustable side boosters like Porsche has.

If the next-gen seats had the front half of the seat bottom heated and the side bolsters be adjustable, it would be fantastic. I think most (not all) of the objections to the next-gens occur for individuals who are uncomfortable with the amount of side bolstering.

If the next-gen seats had the front half of the seat bottom heated and the side bolsters be adjustable, it would be fantastic. I think most (not all) of the objections to the next-gens occur for individuals who are uncomfortable with the amount of side bolstering.

We need to figure out some way of fattening up Elon Musk. If he was about 100 pounds heavier we'd have adjustable side boosters, and we'd have adjustable front Seat Belts.

Which version of gen 1 seats do I have on my 12/20 pick-up S85 (#63623, rear seat headrests are taller version) ? They're not sporty but they are quite comfortable.

For Model S,
1.0/1.1 (seat bottom spring changed):
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70028&d=1421984743

1.5 (note the middle headrest is shorter than the other two):
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/35/47/52/7764655/6/920x920.jpg
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/554b896fe4b01c501142fe52/t/555c87ffe4b09c1197194da6/1432127488097/?format=750w

2.0 (note the horizontal stitching on the front):
http://cdn2.automoblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-Tesla-Model-S-P85D-123-876x535.jpg
http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/tesla-seats-4.jpg

They really need to make those rear headrests removable. At the very least, make the middle one removable. If you don't use the seat, all it does it block your view. If you have young kids, you can't fold the seat down, as it always has a child car seat in it. And in some cases, headrests interfere with the fit of child car seats.

On the plus side, the rear view camera seems pretty nice, so maybe that makes up for it a bit.

Regarding the rear seat headrests.... I plan on running my S with the rear seats folded down which totally removes the obstruction.

I would probably do that too because I rarely have people in the rear seats but the road noise increases substantially with the seats down. It increases noticeably even with the parcel shelf removed and the seats up. I can't stand the noise so the seats are up and shelf is in.

Separate note - Having driven cars with the old leather seats, the cost for next gens is well spent IMHO. Doesn't matter to me that the option for the old leather ones is gone.

I'm not a "bigger person" (6'1" 160lbs), and I don't like the snugness of the next-gens. If they had adjustable side bolsters, I'd have gotten them.