Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No new features since December: A New Tesla Strategy?

Do you think OTA update are going to become a paid subscription?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would disagree - selling it as a service implies all updates would be available to subscribers. It would make no sense otherwise. When you subscribe to Netflix, do you only have access to the movies that were available the day you subscribed?

that’s not what I was saying.

My point is that when you buy fsd in 2016, you are entitled to all updates required to make fsd work and entitled to actual full self driving, meaning new hardware and software for as long as you own the car.

With the subscription model, you are only entitled to the features available while you are subscribing. EG, if you subscribe to FSD in 2021 you only get features and hardware available now asks no future liability exists for Tesla to deliver full fsd.

If you get tired of waiting and cancel your subscription you are entitled to no hardware or fsd software updates in the future. Unlike the case if you bought fsd outright.

In addition because you are purchasing a monthly liscense if it turns out fsd requires additional hardware your car does not have, under the subscription model Tesla is not obligated to provide it even if you are a current subscriber. All they would need to do is say the subscription is no longer available for your car.

that’s not what I was saying.

My point is that when you buy fsd in 2016, you are entitled to all updates required to make fsd work and entitled to actual full self driving, meaning new hardware and software for as long as you own the car.

With the subscription model, you are only entitled to the features available while you are subscribing. EG, if you subscribe to FSD in 2021 you only get features and hardware available now asks no future liability exists for Tesla to deliver full fsd.

If you get tired of waiting and cancel your subscription you are entitled to no hardware or fsd software updates in the future. Unlike the case if you bought fsd outright.

In addition because you are purchasing a monthly liscense if it turns out fsd requires additional hardware your car does not have, under the subscription model Tesla is not obligated to provide it even if you are a current subscriber. All they would need to do is say the subscription is no longer available for your car.
I can see your point with respect to future, undelivered features requiring hardware updates. But software-based functionality updates are implicit in the subscription model.

yes, but only while you are a subscriber. If the future updates never come you have absolutely have no recourse. that may be different under the buy it up front model.
If you are suggesting that if, while a subscriber, a new software version and new hardware for FSD comes out, that Tesla won't update hardware for a current retrofit, I respectfully disagree. For functionality that doesn't exist but will in the future, I would agree there's no reason for Tesla to update a subscriber's vehicle.

If you are suggesting that if, while a subscriber, a new software version and new hardware for FSD comes out, that Tesla won't update hardware for a current retrofit, I respectfully disagree.

I don’t think they will give hardware updates to subscribers. Or, at least, they don’t have to, which lowers their liability. But my post you quoted was referring to the fact that as soon as you stop paying subscription fees teslas liability is zero. Once you buy fsd tesla’s liability is greater than zero.

I don’t think they will give hardware updates to subscribers. Or, at least, they don’t have to, which lowers their liability. But my post you quoted was referring to the fact that as soon as you stop paying subscription fees teslas liability is zero. Once you buy fsd tesla’s liability is greater than zero.
True. No liability when not subscribed, and ongoing potential liability for those who purchased.

Anyone notice that the updates are lacking in 2021 compared to 2020 (or 2019)?

When I got my car in 2020, updates would coming out every other week or at least once a month. In 2021, we got maybe 2 updates and they were just minor bug fixes...

Hope they are just focusing on V11 or something like that.

When I got my car in 2020, updates would coming out every other week or at least once a month. In 2021, we got maybe 2 updates and they were just minor bug fixes...

I have read this forum category extensively and can say with a high level of confidence that no one else has noticed. I think people are still busy adapting to the 🔥🔥 holiday release.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude

welcome to the topic.