TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No regenarting in cold weather

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Stefan T, Jan 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

To day when took my roadster on work and should drive home there was no regenering
    I check the temp on the battery and it was 9C the reganarating came back same time as temp came to 10C

It was -5C outdoors and have been below zero for some days. I have the roadster in a cold garage on the night it's only little warmer than outdoors
    I have seen it ones before

Are this normal?

2. green1

green1 Active Member

to protect the pack it won't charge when cold, so yes, this is perfectly normal, once warm the regen will return.

3. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

Frozen regen

Yes. As soon as the battery has warmed itself to the point it can safely be charged, your REGEN will work again! I see this in VT a lot in the winter when I have to park outside.

DJ

4. Kalud

Kalud Active Member

Technically, charging the battery (regen) bellow 0C is prohibited by the BMS, because its a damaging process for the cell.

Source: Charging Batteries at High and Low Temperatures – Battery University

5. Strib

Strib Member

I've just learned that this is true, of course, for a Model S. But when charging in freezing weather the initial energy is used to warm the battery; when plugged in for battery management energy is used to maintain a reasonable temperature.