Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No regenarting in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To day when took my roadster on work and should drive home there was no regenering
I check the temp on the battery and it was 9C the reganarating came back same time as temp came to 10C

It was -5C outdoors and have been below zero for some days. I have the roadster in a cold garage on the night it's only little warmer than outdoors
I have seen it ones before

Are this normal?

Frozen regen

To day when took my roadster on work and should drive home there was no regenering
I check the temp on the battery and it was 9C the reganarating came back same time as temp came to 10C

It was -5C outdoors and have been below zero for some days. I have the roadster in a cold garage on the night it's only little warmer than outdoors
I have seen it ones before

Are this normal?

Yes. As soon as the battery has warmed itself to the point it can safely be charged, your REGEN will work again! I see this in VT a lot in the winter when I have to park outside.

DJ

Technically, charging the battery (regen) bellow 0C is prohibited by the BMS, because its a damaging process for the cell.

Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium can occur on the anode during a subfreezing charge. The plating is permanent and cannot be removed with cycling.

Source: Charging Batteries at High and Low Temperatures – Battery University

I've just learned that this is true, of course, for a Model S. But when charging in freezing weather the initial energy is used to warm the battery; when plugged in for battery management energy is used to maintain a reasonable temperature.