Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No September Delivery for me :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster, been lurking a bit and appreciate all of the posts.

Disappointed!! Ordered Sept 14 at Park Royal and was told that was cutoff for order by Sept 30. Got a call from Tesla HQ in Fremont this afternoon asking if I wanted to swap my Model 3, White SR+ w/ 19” rims for White w/ Aero. He said this would be the only config I could get delivery on by Sept 30.

I always saw the upgrade as a crapshoot, either the wheels are free or they’re not. I’m not too disappointed on missing the 2 yr SC because I don’t plan to utilize it much in the next 2 years, but I really want to take delivery!!

Honestly, if they refund you the price difference downgrading from 19" to Aero, I would take it.
Benefits of smaller rim:
*Less drag = more energy efficent
*Less harsh drive. Thicker tire means more cushioning from road bumps
*Replacement tires (and winter tires) are cheaper
*Thicker tire also means less chance of tire/rim damage from hitting pothole. See the following video:
*Taking Aero cover off and put on nut cover actually looks pretty good imo.

I agree there’s benefits for the aero wheels, but I want the 19”. What I don’t understand is they have the 19” wheels available on a different unsold inventory vehicle (see the link) and they just won’t put swap them to a white SR+?

Honestly, if they refund you the price difference downgrading from 19" to Aero, I would take it.
Benefits of smaller rim:
*Less drag = more energy efficent
*Less harsh drive. Thicker tire means more cushioning from road bumps
*Replacement tires (and winter tires) are cheaper
*Thicker tire also means less chance of tire/rim damage from hitting pothole. See the following video:
*Taking Aero cover off and put on nut cover actually looks pretty good imo.

Tire choices are better on 19”. The load range on 18” is unusually high and limits your choices. 19” are more typical load range. I got much more efficient tires on my 19” than I could get on 18”. So much more efficient that they made up for the Aero’s. I ended up with the same efficiency on my 19” as I got on my 18”. Tires are everything.

Find the tire you want then pick the rim. People do it backwards.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I agree there’s benefits for the aero wheels, but I want the 19”. What I don’t understand is they have the 19” wheels available on a different unsold inventory vehicle (see the link) and they just won’t put swap them to a white SR+?

I believe Tesla has avoided pre-sale wheel swaps as the monroney stickers specify exact car configurations/specifications. Besides the domino effect of starting this would be a logistical nightmare to administer.

Take the 18’s and search new/previous owners interested in a wheel swap may be an option?