Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No supercharge in bitter cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a pack is super cold, it won't charge. Plugging into a Supercharger will start it warming, but it will take a while. A bunch of Level 2 would be handy in this situation.

If possible, drivers should try charging at the end of trip, not the beginning, and set the Supercharger as the destination.

V4 posts with liquid immersed cables will likely stay warmer and more flexible between charges.

Seasoned Tesla owners know that, if that was the issue surely Tesla has that data and can share it.

I was out in - temps over the weekend and I pre-conditioned before I departed my garage when I got to my stops I set the HVAC to KEEP so as not to lose all my cabin heat.
LxU8Cee.jpg

It was -5F when I departed my home, this was about an hour later at one of my stops. But then again I didn't visit my local SuperCharger.

I left our Model 3 outside unplugged last night. The temp got down to 7F. I took it to our local supercharger this morning without preconditioning. It connected and spent first 20 minutes warming the battery. I have not been able to recreate the original problem. I was at 78% state of charge this morning. We are going to let the battery drain down this week and try again on Saturday when temps are suppose to be 11F.

The only two variables I didn’t have the same were 4% state of charge and location of Brentwood, TN supercharger.

Yesterday I tried again. I left the car out overnight and drained the battery to 9% state of charge. I plugged into my local supercharger when the temp was 20F. It charged fine. I am unable to re-create my charging failure from last year. We are going to travel in the car as normal. We will stop to charge with more charge remaining when it is very cold (I.e. 30% instead of 10%).

I am going to go out on a limb and say I think Tesla has a communication pin problem in the charge port and/or charge plug that doesn’t work well when temp are below 20F. I wonder if I could have held a heat gun on the charge port and plug for 1 minute each - could I have charged?

Anyway, I will update if this happens again.

IMG_1447.png

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Yesterday I tried again. I left the car out overnight and drained the battery to 9% state of charge. I plugged into my local supercharger when the temp was 20F. It charged fine. I am unable to re-create my charging failure from last year. We are going to travel in the car as normal. We will stop to charge with more charge remaining when it is very cold (I.e. 30% instead of 10%).

I am going to go out on a limb and say I think Tesla has a communication pin problem in the charge port and/or charge plug that doesn’t work well when temp are below 20F. I wonder if I could have held a heat gun on the charge port and plug for 1 minute each - could I have charged?

Anyway, I will update if this happens again.

View attachment 1010927

Uh, superchargers work fine at -20f temps. You can't recreate an issue is almost certainly due to an issue with the supecharger, and not your car. If there were communication issues at these temps, pretty much everyone north of the mason-dixon would be raising hell about inability to charge in the winter.

Reactions: MitchMitch