Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

No surround sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My premium audio is loud and clear. The only potential issue I have is that the sound seems to be coming straight to my face, rather than surrounding me. There's close little, if any, sound coming out of the side as far as I can tell.

I have played with the 'immersive' setting, and I found the difference between off/standard/high to be subtle/minimal.

Does this match your experience? Thanks,

Most of the higher range is going to be coming from the dash, or the speakers / tweeters near the side mirrors. So yes, it's mostly going to sound like it's coming directly at you.
The woofers in the front doors are 8", and the notes they produce tend to be less directional (you won't be able to really tell where they're coming from).

Most of us find that fading the sound to the back ever so slightly, helps alleviate this and make the sound more "surround". But it boils down to the fact that you have 3 tweeters and 3 4" drivers blasting you directly in the face.

@SMAlset @flashflooder Thanks for your comments. I tried moving the center point around and the sound did move, just that I couldn't seem to get a spot that gives me the level of 'surround' that I expected. :( I guess I will just try to get used to it.

One other thing I noticed while driving home today was that the sound quality of the music on Slack varies drastically, and could change in the middle of the song-- The beginning of 'Sowing the seed of love' was weak on the bass, but then all of a sudden the subwoofer seemed to open up and it sounded fabulous! The other possibility was that my audio system was hanging by a thread and probably a pothole had jiggled the connection back into where it should be. :)

With all seriousness-- Do you find Slack's sound quality lacking/inconsistent? Thanks.

I've only tried the Slacker service a few times and the quality definitely worse than Apple Music over Bluetooth (iPhone 6S). But that has its own issues: 1) instead of getting the album art from the phone, it gets it from Slacker and it's wrong most of the time and 2) what seems like a full second of latency, which makes pause/skip delayed, 3) generally primitive UI.

Slacker is 64kb/sec- so quality is pretty crap compared to just about any other source.

If quality is what you want you'll need to put your own high-quality FLACs (or high encoding mp3s) on a USB key and use that... Interface is...not great... but the sound is.

My premium audio is loud and clear. The only potential issue I have is that the sound seems to be coming straight to my face, rather than surrounding me. There's close little, if any, sound coming out of the side as far as I can tell.

I have played with the 'immersive' setting, and I found the difference between off/standard/high to be subtle/minimal.

Does this match your experience? Thanks,

=====> I have played with the 'immersive' setting, and I found the difference between off/standard/high to be subtle/minimal.

^^^^^^^^^^ Totally agree...o_O