Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio doesn't sound right...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I can hear sounds fine, but all sound seems to be coming from the center part of the dashboard near the windshield only.

We are listening to whatever stations are provided on the screen (radio and TuneIn) and some SiriusXM from my iPhone via Bluetooth.

I moved the sound front to back and side to side on the main screen and that works. But the sound seems to be coming from only a narrow area directly in front of us.

When I put my ear next to the door speaker there is very faint audio but it is not nearly as loud as the dashboard audio and it very muffled.

There is bass so I think the subwoofer is OK, but it's not even close to being as full as our 8 year old Audi A4.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance...

I believe they meant "rebooting" the info-tainment screen, not reset the whole car, that seems a little drastic :) . To do so, press-and-hold down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel with your thumbs until the center screen goes black, then you can release them. After a short time the Tesla logo will appear and then the screen will come back on. See if that has any effect on the sound.

Another possible thing to check is in the Tone section of the Audio Settings. There is a setting at the bottom for "Immersive Sound". Try setting it to "Off" and see if that has any effect. It might just be that you don't like Tesla's simulated spacial audio.

capture-audio-settings.jpg

If neither of those have any effect on the sound coming from the door speakers, sounds like you need to open a service request on the App.

did you take it to the service center?

i have the long range model y and have the same exact thing.

it sounds like all the sound is coming from the center of the windshield. i faded the audio to be rear biased which helped a little bit

the center strip under the windshield has 3 speakers (L Center R) which all work.

the speakers by the window/mirror do not produce any vocals in my car and barely make any sound. it sounds like they play only play high notes (claps, snare, etc)

the left and right door speakers only provide bass

the roof speakers don’t do anything unless immersive mode is enabled.

the sound stage is so ****ed that i drove in a base model kia soul and liked it better

I have this same thing. When i'm in the driver seat I really only hear the music from the front dash speaker. It's very odd and I'm not a fan of it. When I watch Netflix or Disney Plus I don't think I have this issue and the sound feels all around while watching a movie/video. My only solution so far is move the balance a little to back seat area then it evens it out.

Newish 2023 MYLR

Maybe you got used to cheap sound systems and a premium sound system sounds odd at first.
In cheap sound systems, you don't have a feeling of the sound direction. It's just everywhere in the cabin of the car. Or it can be everywhere with a super low loud subwoofer if it's an additional custom installation.
In premium sound systems, you always have a direction of the sound from the front. Like you are standing in front of the speakers.

I had a similar feeling with my previous car Volvo, which had a premium sound system from Harman Kardon. It felt weird and I couldn't call it as "premium" sound at first.

Also, this like "mono" feeling of the sound can be related to the sound quality. Sirius XM has a low sound bitrate. Even lower than a regular FM radio station. It simply can't provide a good quality of sound. Try to listen to something using a Spotify or Apple Music app in the car and will notice a huge difference in quality.

Any updates? We upgraded from a model 3 to a y back in September and I immediately noticed the weird front heavy sound. I also moved the balance towards the rear which helps a little, but it's crazy how bad it sounds for how much it costs.

Any updates? We upgraded from a model 3 to a y back in September and I immediately noticed the weird front heavy sound. I also moved the balance towards the rear which helps a little, but it's crazy how bad it sounds for how much it costs.
It's the slider that's on the bottom of the equalizer screen. Disable that. Sound should be more even after that. I've had no sound issues after doing that.

At least in my 2023 MY LR Fremont, it sounds a little better when I bias to the rear and turn immersive sound to "high," not off or auto, otherwise the door speakers do almost nothing.

Possibly unrelated, but maybe a problem with one of the front speakers: I hear what sounds like speaker popping or crackling whenever the car plays tones from the park assist or the tones from engaging autopilot. It's frankly embarrassing for a 70k+ car.