Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Tesla solar for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I was super excited and multiple people on this forum helped me with questions and suggestions for which I'm thankful, but it looks like there will be no Tesla solar in the cards for me! :(

We have a lightweight concrete tile roof that only 5 years old. It was put on as part of a whole house remodel. Tesla did a site visit and I was quite impressed with the two guys they sent. They looked at the rafters inside my attic (wore a mask and were quite careful), went up on the roof and took a ton of pictures of the panel and garage.

A day later I got a text talking about a new document for me to review. They said that due to the roof being lightweight concrete tile, they would need to replace the entire roof area where the solar would be installed at an added cost of 7K! Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed. They included a picture of the tile being weighed by the site visit guys and it was 7.8 lbs.

I called them up the rep they assigned me and he said that was their policy and I would need to agree to it if I wanted solar to be installed by them. I went ahead and canceled and he said he would process the $100 refund. Ah well, I understand it's their policy and that's fine, but I wish there was just a tiny bit more clarity where they could have saved both of us some trouble. Interestingly, they already submitted for a solar permit with my city (electronically) before they got my approval! I'm wondering if I need to call the city and have them cancel it!

Now I'm back to the drawing board to since my price point is now $2.55/watt instead of $2.01/watt!

Our concrete tile roof, which I believe came with an estimated 30-year life, was one of the higher rated ones at the time. Roofing material, I’m going to guess, for many buyers isn’t something they think much about at purchase other than style and color and buyers don’t usually have much say in the material. I understand some concrete roof tiles out there become very grainy as time passes. Early on Tesla told us that we had the better quality ones so installation hasn’t been a problem.

Threads like this help educate and sorry @SoCalSteve that it hasn’t worked out for you. Appreciate letting us know what happened. What’s your next move?

Our lightweight concrete tile roof was 10 years old when we replaced it with the Solarroof. A good percentage of the tiles had already developed cracks and many of the rest would crack if you walked up there. I would never get a lightweight concrete tile again.

Interesting stories about the tile roofs.
I designed and built the house with just a few helpers, took 3.5 years. Moved in Sep 1993. I think my tiles are 10 lbs each. I walk up there when cleaning gutters, spraying tiles with Clorox to kill the fungus, clean panels, etc. I don't seem to have much issues with breakage.
I did place a very heavy paper with granules imbedded( I think it is used on flatter roofs) under the tile. So I may have two roof material up. :)

Yeah I'm bummed as well. Was hoping to compare notes on my install. I had the site inspection (I also have a concrete tile roof) but no big pricing issues just a couple of breakers need to be replaced. They requested my permit on 8/20 and gave them a deadline of 9/3. Then I'll book my install date!!!

Interesting stories about the tile roofs.
I designed and built the house with just a few helpers, took 3.5 years. Moved in Sep 1993. I think my tiles are 10 lbs each. I walk up there when cleaning gutters, spraying tiles with Clorox to kill the fungus, clean panels, etc. I don't seem to have much issues with breakage.
I did place a very heavy paper with granules imbedded( I think it is used on flatter roofs) under the tile. So I may have two roof material up. :)

10 pounds each is not a lightweight tile we had. Ours much less under 4 pounds and were less thick.

Also, they did not break them when they put them up there, or when I went out there initially to clean windows. It seems that after a few years they were much more fragile.

Well total bummer no solar for me as well.....I too got the extra $8K charge for tile roofs. I'm guessing they don't want to do older tile roofs because of their install process. It is definitely not a light weight tile roof and I have a neighbor down the street that has the same roof and they did it when they were solar city about 4 years ago! oh well. Wow that's an expensive charge to say the least!!!!

Looks like they really want all of us concrete tile roof people to convert to Solar Roof instead!

Attachments

• PartialReroof.png
    PartialReroof.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 120