Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No v9 yet, anyone in the same boat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still on 2018.28.1; the only update I have received since getting my car in July. Have very weak WiFi in my driveway so I'm planning on getting a repeater or use my phone's hotspot but not until after my trip to SoCal next week. I've always considered computer BIOS updates as unnecessary as long as everything is working so I'm not too miffed that I'm "missing out" on the latest and greatest.

According to the sites that monitor the updates, very few Model 3’s have received the updates. Most have been S and X. The software versions have also gone from 39.6 to 39.7 to 40.0 as they have made numerous fixes. I for one prefer to wait until most bug fixes are complete.

Where are you getting this info?

According to TeslaFi just over 77% of Model 3's are running V9 firmware.

TeslaFi is our best estimate on how many vehicles have an update because it autoupdates when it's installed so it doesn't depend on user reporting.

Reactions: pazdan
It's a lengthy process. For a random sample:

As of 10/19/2018 at 13:15, out of Teslafi.com's 3,125 Tesla car fleet, 1,680 got V9 or about 53.8%.

For the Model 3 specifically V9 is installed on 77% of them which is pretty impressive since the large rollout happened around a week AFTER it was released to the Model S/X.

It's also remarkable because I would expect a Model 3 owner to be less likely to have their car connected to Wifi. As far as I know one still needs Wifi to get this update. As in it hasn't been released over cell yet.

So I have to wonder how many Model S/X owners are declining V9 because of fears over losing functionality.

Model 3 owners have next to nothing to lose with this update, and a lot to gain. The energy/trip planner itself is extremely useful and this update brings that.

Reactions: Tam
Just got 39.7.1 last night about 9:00. I am glad I read on here about noises and light shows! It took about 15 minutes to update.

In a 30 minute drive last night, everything seemed pretty stable, even the cars around me. They wiggled a little but were not jittery and no one ran into me!

EAP seemed to work just like 36.2 did with no obvious change that I could detect. It seems like the 39.7.1 corrected a lot of the bugs previously reported.

Where are you getting this info?

According to TeslaFi just over 77% of Model 3's are running V9 firmware.

TeslaFi is our best estimate on how many vehicles have an update because it autoupdates when it's installed so it doesn't depend on user reporting.

Tesla Firmware Update Tracker on ev-fw.com. I picked this up earlier on here that this was the best tracker.

Last edited:
Are you on wifi?

Have you tried resetting the computer by holding both buttons and the brake all at the same time until it reboots?

Supposedly that works for someone.

It's been so long that I'd advise calling Tesla just to see what's up.

I am on WiFi at home in my garage. I did a steering wheel button reset after I got 36.2 when the slacker log out issue happened but maybe I should try again.

Just got the update notification again about ten minutes ago after I got home. Car looks like it only downloaded about 100 MB today off my Wi-Fi, so either the car never deleted the update it downloaded before and just got notified by Tesla that the update was available again, or it downloaded the update via LTE while I was out. Updating now.
hmm that's interesting. I talked to a support rep on the phone and he said that the download is done in batches, like not all at the same time, so maybe you had already received most of the update, and the 100mb was the last of it to push to you.

• Informative
Reactions: mhan00
Still waiting. After being teased on Saturday, Oct 13th while I was out and Tesla subsequently pulled the release before I returned, I've heard nothing. Good WiFi connection in the garage - it was there all weekend again while I was out of town. But nothing upon my return...

Literally just got the update notification in western Washington state. -assuming this is V9

Edit 39.7.1

For some reason I thought there were updates and additional functionality to the app with version 9 but I updated it and it looks the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: pazdan