Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Vented / Air Conditioned Seat Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly... but that vapor is going into the seat.
and blown out the back of it. It isn't condensing. Dude you're giving off water vapor every second of the day - in your Tesla you're emitting your vapors into the cabin - whether or not they are traveling through the seat first doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell. Of course most of us keep air ventilation in the cabin going so whatever you're emitting through the seat vent holes is getting turned over with the rest of the cabin air frequently.

@AZ-3 I wouldn't call it a "deal breaker" though - the pre-cooling feature of the Tesla is pretty damn good and I use it despite having vented seats. I also have a 2016 with no vented seats (leather next gens), but they are the light gray color. I turn the a/c on with my phone a couple minutes prior to getting in the car and seats are quite tolerable. Not as good as vented but it works.

It doesn't seem to me, that for that kind of money, you should have to settle for a seat you describe as "quite tolerable".

Scannerman

Is this because you are already hot (and thus your backside is being insulated by the seat, staying hot), or because the car is hot? Remember you can have the car pre-cooled to a comfortable temperature (meaning also the seats should be too), which is not something you can normally expect with a regular ICE vehicle. The typical use case for these may be irrelevant as long as you remember to precool the car at least a few minutes before leaving.

Both situations as you mentioned. At least pre-cooling the Tesla Model 3 would mitigate the seat being hot.

It doesn't seem to me, that for that kind of money, you should have to settle for a seat you describe as "quite tolerable".

Scannerman
It doesn't seem to me either that I should have to - but to get better seats I would have had to settle for an entirely different brand of car - which would have been merely "quite tolerable" lol. If I hadn't picked up the vented 2017 S I would be doing surgery on the 2016's seats by now, installing an aftermarket cooling solution.

I also am disappointed that ventilated seats have not made it into the initial Model 3 design. I have a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite and the ventilated seats help my back and butt from getting hot and not sweat, whereas compared to my 2006 Acura RSX Type S, my back and butt will get hot and start to sweat for a good duration before I'm cooled down from the AC. This feature is no longer a luxury premium, but should be found in a Model 3 from the start. Well, I hope Tesla will add it in later down the line though.

You might want to consider a good quality, fitted, sheepskin cover. They are very popular with truck drivers, and airline pilots, and they work very well. But as I have indicated elsewhere, I do not feel this should be necessary.

Like yourself, I hope quite a few things will be added over time.

Scannerman

To have vented air-conditioned seats, you need your seats perforated. If I remember correctly, Bjorn showed in one of his Model X videos of the seats, and the tiny holes met with wear and tear causing unsightly tears in them. I guess Tesla felt the perforated seats were receiving negative feedbacks and changed their vegan seats to non-perforated ones. Hence, no air-con for our butts.

Who knows why Tesla pulled them, don't think they ever said, just speculation on people's part. My theory was based on first of all they were offered in the MX solely, being a more expensive car than the MS. I'm sure Tesla ordered material in bulk for their vented seats and when their inventory to cover seats was starting to run low and it was end-of-year push for sales on the MS, decided to offer it on the MS as a "luxury PUP bump" to help use it up. I feel very fortunate to have gotten it on our car.

BTW when you have thinner clothing material on you definitely can tell the difference on your back especially when you have the venting turned up to 3. We don't run with it on all the time, but when the temps are in the 90s+ definitely will turn it on as soon as our backs start to feel too warm in the seat.

As for covers on the seats. Tesla warns against using them if not mistaken. Has to do with sensors and air bags as I recall.

We have some wrinkling in the front seats that we sit in all the time and honestly not an issue like it seems to be for some here. Haven't seen any signs of wear. We do try to practice lifting ourselves out of the seat as we get out instead of sliding over and leaning out.

As for M3 with or without vented seats, I would hope as production would start to kind of level out to meet orders they would include the vented seats as an option at least on a PUP package. I know right now they want the least amount of variation in orders to be as expeditious as they can be in getting cars to customers.

Didn't really appreciate the fabric seats on my Civic until I had gone through this thread.

And I thought leather was breathable but I guess not unless it's perforated.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-leather-car-seats
Some leatherette (vinyl) is actually pretty good and feels leather-like, relatively simple to clean and does breathe. But that also depends on the quality used by each auto maker.

The Tesla center I visited recently told me they went back to smooth seats from perforated seats due to durability issues. They were already seeing material failures on the perforated seats and they had not been out for long. Perhaps they could solve the issue going forward.

And honestly - to see that vented seats are not an option on the 3 after several years of S owners begging for vented seats - it's mystifying to me. Perhaps they'll be an option soon. Perhaps Elon doesn't sweat. Who knows.
You sound like an Apple user. They demand more than 16GB, better resolution screens, waterproof, touchscreens, less dongles, customization, things that Android/PC users have had for years...
and their pleas go unanswered, yet they still pay more for that product.

as long as people are willing to shell out the $$, Tesla has no reason to give in on anything.

I have the ventilated seats @JeffK - the whole purpose of them is to help sweat evaporate before it becomes so concentrated it's dripping or even has you feeling damp. The seats work - they do the job. All I can think of for why Tesla cancelled them is they have an improved design coming soon. And perhaps too many warranty claims on the perfed leather (which is not the greatest quality I think - I'm pretty lean and verrrry careful getting in and out, no pets, no children - so they work for me).

I'm not hopeful that they have an improved design coming out soon. However, I do agree with you that it was too many warranty claims or complaints about durability.

You might want to consider a good quality, fitted, sheepskin cover. They are very popular with truck drivers, and airline pilots, and they work very well. But as I have indicated elsewhere, I do not feel this should be necessary.

We have ventilated seats in our Lexus. Our temps are about as bad as Paradise Valley, AZ. I'd say that sheepskin covers are a better bet than heated/ventilated seats IMHO. We get really cold temps in the winter. The sheepskin just handles the extreme temps better, especially when you consider the sweat issue. And taking care of those damn holes is just a pain. Especially if there are liquids involved.

The Tesla center I visited recently told me they went back to smooth seats from perforated seats due to durability issues. They were already seeing material failures on the perforated seats and they had not been out for long. Perhaps they could solve the issue going forward.

Wonder who their leather (vegan or otherwise) supplier was?

I've had perforated seats and they seem plenty durable. Non-driver seat leather still looks brand new even after years of ownership.

This might be wishful thinking, but I hope Tesla goes for cooled/air-conditioned seats rather than ventilated seats.

Ventilated seats are okay but not nearly as good as cooled/air-conditioned seats.

I've been using the terms interchangeably. So there are seats that have holes where you don't push a button and air conditioned air shoots out of the holes? What would be the point of having holes if no air shot out of them?