Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No way to remote start heated wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of interest, if your car is parked and connected to the charger. Does the car draw from the charger for the pre-heat mode? Can you configure it to do so?
It will always use potentially expensive dirty grid power to preheat/preconditioning the car if car is plugged in even if you don’t need the range. No options to control this other than unplugging the car before preconditioning.

Reactions: Andy B
I'm hoping the car would do this no matter where it is parked. I would hope the car would always use external power before using internal power.
It should be an option. The sort of times most people will be preconditioning their car, electricity is likely to be 4x the cost of that in the battery and potentially high in carbon emissions. Not everyone needs the range but would be glad to not have to attempt to unplug the car (if that is indeed possible) to not be hit with high energy/carbon costs just to gain access to their car.

It should be an option. The sort of times most people will be preconditioning their car, electricity is likely to be 4x the cost of that in the battery and potentially high in carbon emissions. Not everyone needs the range but would be glad to not have to attempt to unplug the car (if that is indeed possible) to not be hit with high energy/carbon costs just to gain access to their car.
I think I agree. Since you are plugged in, it would seem the power source isn't the issue, but the cost of power? So you would like to charge overnight during lower rates, but at a certain time use the battery to condition the interior?

Can't you do that now? You can limit the charge times the car will charge. Once the authorized charge times are over, the car would have no choice but to use battery power? No?

I think I agree. Since you are plugged in, it would seem the power source isn't the issue, but the cost of power? So you would like to charge overnight during lower rates, but at a certain time use the battery to condition the interior?

Can't you do that now? You can limit the charge times the car will charge. Once the authorized charge times are over, the car would have no choice but to use battery power? No?
If the car is connected to a charger and you start pre heating it will draw power from the charger regardless of scheduled charge programming.