Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA sent me the opposite Interstate direction (pic)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Don’t use NOA much since it does such a poor job selecting lanes. Also keep confirmation on to help counter its lane awareness (or lack of). Today decide to go to Swanee (near the Mall of GA Supercharger) to run. They have some very nice trails and gas is so cheep plus I have a ½ drunk copilot.

Decided to give NOA a try since early morning Sat traffic. Was on the top-end/I285 heading east [green arrow] and needed to head north on I85 [blue arrow]. NOA instead took the south I85 [red arrow].

Granted this is a EXTREMELY complex nightmare of an interchange (called Spaghetti Junction) but was going a standard direction. Was paying more attention to lanes, traffic and how the car was driving than the actual lane it was in. As soon as it got on I85 south realized it was going the wrong direction. Then it said to take the next exit and U-turn.

Sure seems odd that it would make this big of a mistake in standard driving directions. I have been coming south on I85 and had NOA take the correct path to go I285 west (opposite of what I was doing today).

Anyone from ATL tried I285 east to I85 not on NOA?

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 1.23.03 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
...Sure seems odd that it would make this big of a mistake in standard driving directions...

Prior to NOA, sometimes, Tesla navigation system also already directs me to choose illogical directions as in your case.

After NOA, implemented, that deficiency still persists as instead of human following the illogical directions, it's now NOA that does.

My philosophy in using a navigation system or NOA is: I need to at least understand where I am going so I don't have to follow crazy directions.

Looking at Google map, it seems that the issue might be caused by a possible little offset between your exact GPS location,
and the calculated GPS of your car while moving, putting your car on the map on the wrong lanes when reaching the junction
(see below for red circle).

May be try again at a slower speed while checking if you are exactly in the center of your lane?

I use quite often NOA but I don't always like to follow the given itinerary, and later on when I try again the same trip,
it seems that NOA then remember my previous choice and recommend the itinerary that I previously used.

Tom Moreland Interchange Map .jpg

Tom Moreland Interchange Street View  .jpg

Last edited:
Looking at Google map, it seems that the issue might be caused by a possible little offset between your exact GPS location,
and the calculated GPS of your car while moving, putting your car on the map on the wrong lanes when reaching the junction

May be try again at a slower speed while checking if you are exactly in the center of your lane?

I use quite often NOA but I don't always like to follow the given itinerary, and later on when I try again the same trip,
it seems that NOA then remember my previous choice and recommend the itinerary that I previously used.

View attachment 443151
View attachment 443154

My guess is NoA got confused on which lane it was in (not necessarily because of poor GPS) Even as a human sometimes you get that wrong end up crossing a couple lanes to correct yourself at the last second but NoA won’t do that.

Was the original route correct?

Was the original route correct?

I was assuming that NOA was giving the correct itinerary since it is based on Google map and I tested that this was the case.
(see the blue lane on the above Google map extract)

Note: It would be interesting to have the OP showing a picture of the NOA on the screen before departure, and when the error occur.
And also to show some frames from the front view using TeslaCam recording.

Last edited:
Don’t use NOA much since it does such a poor job selecting lanes. Also keep confirmation on to help counter its lane awareness (or lack of). Today decide to go to Swanee (near the Mall of GA Supercharger) to run. They have some very nice trails and gas is so cheep plus I have a ½ drunk copilot.

Decided to give NOA a try since early morning Sat traffic. Was on the top-end/I285 heading east [green arrow] and needed to head north on I85 [blue arrow]. NOA instead took the south I85 [red arrow].

Granted this is a EXTREMELY complex nightmare of an interchange (called Spaghetti Junction) but was going a standard direction. Was paying more attention to lanes, traffic and how the car was driving than the actual lane it was in. As soon as it got on I85 south realized it was going the wrong direction. Then it said to take the next exit and U-turn.

Sure seems odd that it would make this big of a mistake in standard driving directions. I have been coming south on I85 and had NOA take the correct path to go I285 west (opposite of what I was doing today).

Anyone from ATL tried I285 east to I85 not on NOA?

View attachment 443021

Did the route show the correct route or did it show the u-turn as the route. If it showed the correct route I would agree with the gps error theory.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Did the route show the correct route or did it show the u-turn as the route. If it showed the correct route I would agree with the gps error theory.
It thought it was taking the correct route until about ¾ of the way it beeped and recalculated to give me the turn around needed. Possibly a GPS error or maybe a lane identification error. Was early in the morning and sun was a lot like in Watts_Up pic. So it may have "blinded" the cameras to seeing the correct lane. If so this is a very serious potential problem for relying on visual recognition.

Main point is Tesla claim of onramp to exit was a fail in this case and not just a fail because I didn't like the way it was working (like lane changes) but for going in completely the wrong direction.

Navigate on AuopiAuto.

I am quite familiar with the intersection. To take the south bound, you have to be in the far, far right lane. To get there, you actively have to move right. Wen did you turn NoP on? Just before or way before PIB?
The northbound lanes are the fourth and fifth from the left. It feels as if you were in the rightmost lane when NoP was enabled, otherwise the car would have to have crossed a lot of lanes.

Navigate on AuopiAuto.

I am quite familiar with the intersection. To take the south bound, you have to be in the far, far right lane. To get there, you actively have to move right. Wen did you turn NoP on? Just before or way before PIB?
The northbound lanes are the fourth and fifth from the left. It feels as if you were in the rightmost lane when NoP was enabled, otherwise the car would have to have crossed a lot of lanes.
No and I know the lanes too. The problem was I was more occupied with watching other cars and not even giving a thought that it would go the wrong way that I didn't realize until after it happened (was little disorienting to realize I was going in the opposite direction than my mind thought). Have done it several times in AP using my blinker.

I decided when I left my house in Cumberland to let NOA take me from onramp (Cumberland onramp I75/I285 which is kinda complex too) to exit (GA317). It was early Sat morning so a great traffic time to try. So it had been on and the ONLY thing I did was "force" a few lane changes (it is terrible when dealing with 5 or more lanes) like before GA400. Was wanting to see just how well NOA could do (and found out).

Also have you tried the same route with NOA and if so what happened?

Last edited:
I just tried it as I was coming home, the car did everything correct. It was amazingly aggressive changing lanes, starting back before PIB, but just around Buford Highway, it changed again. Looking at the indication, it had an extra lane added. It shoed, correctly, that there was two lanes going to the north, but it moved over to the right one, instead of staying in the left one. As such, it ended up moving from lane 5 (safe) to lane 6 (southbound exit).

That's why it's beta and you aren't supposed to be inattentive.

But, there are numerous places where it's not perfect yet. The roads, as well as the speed limits don't all match reality. Not a real need to have a thread about each and everyone. If you are further up I-85 in the HOT, it's happy to stay there to go to I-985, but the roads don't cooperate either.

My experience from the very beginning of NoA was that it sometimes would choose the wrong lane.

I kept trying to figure out if it was a NoA mistake or a Nav mistake. Where the nav wasn't very clear about what the lanes were going to do.

Over time Tesla did fix some of the trouble areas, but not all.

I really wish Tesla had a system of reporting where it screws up with status updates on when it gets fixed. Something like what Apple Maps does. Apple maps has a LOT of mistakes so I've started reporting them with pretty good success at them fixing them promptly (within a few days),

View attachment 443151
View attachment 443182
You might be onto something there. Perhaps yes or no in OPs case case, but what you state has happened to me on a simple stretch of I80 up here. Going to the gigafactory one day, the car missed the exit that it always make correctly before and afterwards. When I looked down at the map, the gps temporarily thought I was about a 1/4 mile behind and on off the interstate on the other side of the road !!! After correcting about 30 seconds later, it realized I was past the exit and started recalculating. And not surprisingly, it was terrible weather during that time and the gps was having trouble on both the Tesla and on my Garmin. Thus, making me think that even when the NOA becomes better in the future, they might some time make a mistake when the gps misleads it.

I just tried it as I was coming home, the car did everything correct. It was amazingly aggressive changing lanes, starting back before PIB, but just around Buford Highway, it changed again. Looking at the indication, it had an extra lane added. It shoed, correctly, that there was two lanes going to the north, but it moved over to the right one, instead of staying in the left one. As such, it ended up moving from lane 5 (safe) to lane 6 (southbound exit).

That's why it's beta and you aren't supposed to be inattentive....
Cool I will try again. I was also over to the left and it started hading to the right about PIB too. Also wasn't being inattentive and was monitoring how it was reacting to traffic carefully. I just didn't look up at the signs and assumed it took the correct ramp.

Also was on Sat morning and was just going to Swanee to run so it was not important or a big problem U-turning just odd. If anything it made getting over to the HOV/Express lane easier with a lot fewer lanes to cross.:D

Just out of curiosity, is there an option to get to your destination by going that way? Once NOA went the wrong way for me because there was an accident in the 'correct' direction and it was going to be quicker to go around it by going a different way. However, on another occasion, it also picked the wrong lane, but there was construction going on and they kept changing which lane was for I75 and which was for M13...

I used to live in Suwanee (yes, it's spelled with a U) and spaghetti junction was always a pain even with a conventional nav system. I had an MB E320 and even with an up-to-date nav DVD it would always give me the wrong instructions; "take the second exit" instead of the first, for example. Even worse, there was some glitch that if I was using the nav and going down I-85 inside the 285 loop, it would reach one spot and the entire nav (aka, COMAND) would abruptly power off: nav, music, phone all died and I had to power-on the COMAND system again. It happened every time I was using the nav going past that stretch of road.