Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoAP - major flaw on UK motorway exit...dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
received 2019.16.2 today. Great update and was so excited to see NoAP in UK at last.

However, first use and two very worrying incidents. Motorway lane changes were fine, no issues whatsoever. Note that this is indicator (turn signal) initiates after on-screen prompt. The issue came with motorway exit. The car manoeuvred to the inside lane well - each change with prompt and driver initiation. However, with motorway exit there was no requirement to initiate and the car started to turn towards the exit ramp. On both occasions, there was an issue. First time, car got about halfway over the dotted lines and then abruptly jerked back to the right and into the inside lane. I had to intervene and sharply turn back to the exit ramp. Quite startling and worse than usual ‘aborted lane change’. Second time it dithered back and forth a little - very hesitant and at last minute took the exit.

This is properly dangerous. Suggest utmost vigilance whilst using this feature, especially on motorway exit. Have reported to service at Birmingham who mentioned they have received a number of calls today and that ‘there will likely be an update removing the feature over the weekend’. This I doubt, but unfortunately it would seem prudent. Whilst vigilant folks will not come a cropper, there is a significant chance of the sort of incident that hit the headlines in the US when a car on AP fluffed inadvertently moved into exit and then changed its mind and hit the dividing barrier.

I’m in the UK too and received the same update today. No motorway driving yet.

What I have found however, is with NoAP engaged dual carriageways no longer see the adjoining lanes so it’s impossible to change lanes with AP engaged. Maybe if I turn off NoAP both lanes will appear again and I’ll be able to change lanes one again with AP engaged.

Can any UK user confirm?

Folks, remember that agreement that you got the ok button on? It's beta software, it requires you to be vigilant all the time.
These situations happen all the time. You can often predict it, although it changes with software releases.
Remember, you are still responsible for the car.

Driving a car is inheritly dangerous

Reactions: Ande
Folks, remember that agreement that you got the ok button on? It's beta software, it requires you to be vigilant all the time.
These situations happen all the time. You can often predict it, although it changes with software releases.
Remember, you are still responsible for the car.

Driving a car is inheritly dangerous

Totally agree - I’m not moaning, just letting folks know.

Noticed the same no slowing down just goes for the exit and than abandons. 70mph straight on a slip road than sudden jerk in direction.

Worse for me was today the car indicated and than started to change lane with NO INPUT from me!!

This was on an dual carriageway with no traffic ahead, it was coming up to a junction exit so may have thought it needed to be in the right hand lane. There was actually a motorbike coming up to overtake so if I hadn't stopped the car it would have caused some major issues.

Like everyone else am gald to see Nav on AP, but its very very buggy at present. I'm not going to use it again till some more updates. If your are using it, keep a very close attention on it, its actually less stressful to just use normal AP or no AP.

I concur with the OP. here is my experience of Nav on AP -

- works well for lane changes although you need to initiate it with the indicator and there's the 5 second rule where if it hasn't changed lane in 5 seconds it cancels. So you basically need to wait for a gap before doing it.

- works well on motorways and dual carriageways

- it can't handle roundabouts so goes back to regular autopilot for roundabouts

- it can't handle rain, so goes back to regular autopilot

- on approaching an exit on the motorway, it knows you need to come off, so it indicates on its own, then starts to pull onto the exit ramp, then decides to pull back onto the main motorway really abruptly. It happened at every exit I tried it on so clearly needs to be fixed in software. I think it's because it loses sight of the lane markings. It would be awesome if it worked.

YMMV .

Just finished my first 200 mile drive on 2019.16.2 on UK roads and I agree 100% with the post above and that of the OP.

Parts of nav on AP are nothing short of dangerous at the moment. (I know it’s beta).

Auto-lane change is severely hampered by the new European 5 second rule. It scared the life out of my passengers several times today when at 70mph it suddenly swerves back into the initial lane.

Another issue for me on my HW2 S is it no longer sees A Roads (dual carriageways) as 2 lane roads so now it’s impossible to change lanes with the AP engaged.

Just finished my first 200 mile drive on 2019.16.2 on UK roads and I agree 100% with the post above and that of the OP.

Parts of nav on AP are nothing short of dangerous at the moment. (I know it’s beta).

Auto-lane change is severely hampered by the new European 5 second rule. It scared the life out of my passengers several times today when at 70mph it suddenly swerves back into the initial lane.

Another issue for me on my HW2 S is it no longer sees A Roads (dual carriageways) as 2 lane roads so now it’s impossible to change lanes with the AP engaged.
Let's hope they sort these things out in the next release. Is there any way of reporting to Tesla? I doubt they read the forums lol.