TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Noise from breaks?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by sunnyvale, Feb 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sunnyvale

sunnyvale Member

Hey guys I got some strange weird laud noise from breaks? I was wondering if this is normal for everyone?
    I can notice this at most when I start driving and in particular with slow speed. (parking).

Thanks!

2. suresv

suresv Member

I posted about this a few days ago. I had the same problems but the service center said that it is normal (because X is a pretty heavy car) and apparently the noise from the suspension not the brake.

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It could also be brake rusting/seizing-up. Because the regen-motors are doing most of the braking, the actual brakes don't get used much and can develop a layer of rust on it. When in parking mode, they could seize a little and make a loud noise as they disengage. Also, when braking, they could make noise and generate a vibration.

Typically, the solution is just to perform some hard-braking to burn off that layer of rust.

• Informative x 1
  4. gde_eu

gde_eu Member

The Tesla Ranger just leave and say the same for me: brake rusting (Because of my driving habit too much regen based :) )

He also tell me that they are two version for the brake, one dedicated for rough climate better for rust (which I already have)

(Was for a S that said)

5. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Mine are quite breaks, except after a day of rain. The next morning while backing out of garage, the squeak happens like on my mountain bike disc breaks in similar (but not same) conditions. It goes away by the time I leave my court, and I pump them like I do my mountain bike. Exciting the natural frequency of the rotor (vibration) as @vandacca mentions makes sense, if a layer of rust or moisture needs to get cleared before brake action can be smooth.

• Informative x 1