Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise reduction seal cutting into the original glass/rubber glue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought this noise reduction kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1DXSH5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and installed it as per instruction. My tests showed that I had a noise reduction of 5dB on the highway.

The instruction clearly says "make sure that the seal does not get in-between the original glass and the rubber". The seal is supposed to hug the glass edge all around. That's how I had it installed originally.

I examine the seal periodically and now I see that only in the SW and NE corners (assuming that the front of the car is North), the installed rubber seal has slipped from the glass edge to below the glass, potentially cutting into the original glue that binds the original glass and rubber seal.

Should I be concerned about destroying the original glue? Anyone else has gone through this experience? Any guidance is appreciated.

Huh, I tried a similar product and wasn't able to discern a difference. 5db is significant. What frequency range was this drop in and what test method and equipment did you use?

Unless you have some serious tension on the cord, I don't see how you would, it's not going to cut in under the glass.

Huh, I tried a similar product and wasn't able to discern a difference. 5db is significant. What frequency range was this drop in and what test method and equipment did you use?

Unless you have some serious tension on the cord, I don't see how you would, it's not going to cut in under the glass.

My method was NOT scientific - I used a decibel meter app on the phone. It appeared that without the rubber seal I had an average of 83dB and with the seal about 78-79dB between the same two exits on the highway here. I understand there are variabilities; for instance a convoy of those loud trucks when you are measuring without the seal! Frequencies reported in the range of 90-150Hz. Could be placebo effect, but I felt a reduction in the noise level with the seal on.

Good point on the tension of the seal cord: the N and S edges have narrow grooves compared to E and W edges of the front glass top. It is difficult to get uniform tension all around - typically the tension along the N/S edges are higher (in order to get the seal into the groove) than along the E/W edges, a point not lost on the producers of the seal.

Although the seal didn't get below the glass too much, for now I have removed the rubber seal.