Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The solution to Tesla Road Noise and Dust- Door seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BASENOR

Former Vendor
May 26, 2022
Washington

Do you have such troubles?

When you're driving down the road in a Tesla, wind noise annoys you which makes it hard to concentrate, especially on the highway.
And it didn't take long for the car to be washed, and the car was full of dust...

Why is Tesla's wind noise so loud?

After our research and testing, we found the main reason was that Tesla has a large glass roof, and the doors have no seals. This results in Tesla's wind noise being a bit louder than other cars. This is also the reason for the accumulation of dust.

But how do reduce wind noise and dust for your Tesla?

Our research found that turbulence generated during vehicle driving is the root cause of wind noise. During the high-speed driving of the vehicle, periodic airflow separation occurs in a specific part of the vehicle body. Wind noise can be radically reduced by using seals to block noise while avoiding the separation of the airflow and disturbing periodic wakes.

To solve this issue, BASEHOR designed a door seal kit for Tesla.

Does it really work?

YouTuber Tesla Tips by MTN Ranger make a video to test if the wind noise reduction kit is really effective in reducing noise. It was found that driving on local roads reduced noise from 64dB A to 56dB A, and on the highway from 73dB A to 66dB A. (YouTube Video Link

1657767940790.png

For those unfamiliar with the decibel scale, reducing the sound level from 73 decibels to 66 decibels may not seem dramatic. But we need to know that a decibel is a logarithmic unit, so the noise reduction from 64dB to 56dB is about 55%!

This means that the wind noise reduction kit does have a significant effect on reducing noise.

m3 B pillar seal.jpg
door.jpg

The BASENOR functions of the sealing strip

BASENOR Door seal kit made from EPDM expandable hollowed sponge rubber. It can enhance the tightness of the door, sound insulation, and noise reduction, improve the cooling effect of the air conditioner in the cab, reduce driving wind noise and provide a quiet driving environment for your Tesla. At the same time, it can also play the role of waterproof, dustproof, heat insulation, and so on.

m3 B pillar.jpgM3 front& rear door seal.jpgdoor seal package.jpgtrunk door seal.jpg

If you want to make your Tesla more refined and comfortable, BASENOR Wind Noise Reduction Kit is a worthy investment.

Click to learn more:

BASENOR 2016-2022 Tesla Model 3 Door Seal Kit

BASENOR 2020-2022 Tesla Model Y Door Seal Kit

Attachments

• door seal.jpg
    door seal.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 164
  • m3 B pillar seal.jpg
    m3 B pillar seal.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Disagree
Reactions: MovedOn121
The decibel readings before and after you posted are quite suspect and I would recommend you remove such claims, or back it up with actual scientific data. Decibels are measured in the logarithmic scale and at these numbers your claim is so dramatic, it clearly comes off made up or measured by someone who doesn't know what they were doing.

Sorry, I tried your Basenor seal kit. Zero perceptible noise difference. Doors now require more force to close due to the added material. I cannot recommend this product, but that is MY experience with it. YMMV
For the Model Y version, we collected some questions from previous customers and upgraded it. After months of continuous improvement and testing by numerous owners, the new version is finally complete. It will be back on shelves in a few days.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
The decibel readings before and after you posted are quite suspect and I would recommend you remove such claims, or back it up with actual scientific data. Decibels are measured in the logarithmic scale and at these numbers your claim is so dramatic, it clearly comes off made up or measured by someone who doesn't know what they were doing.
Yes, this measurement may not be very accurate because it was measured using the DB meter app on an iPhone XR, which is also mentioned in the video:

“I use the same conditions including weather HVAC speed and Road location to reduce variability for testing. I use the DB meter app on an iPhone XR. I realize cell phones are not the best microphones but the main point of this is to determine the difference with and without door seals"

When did you buy it? Many owners have used it for a long time without falling. Is it possible that you got some steps wrong during installation?
In this case, you can contact our customer service for assistance. We will try our best to solve the problem for you!

I spent nearly 3 hours installing it, watched multiple videos, pre-prepped with ISO let it dry, then cleaned with the surface prep pads, let it dry. OCD kicked in 100% during this install

I spent nearly 3 hours installing it, watched multiple videos, pre-prepped with ISO let it dry, then cleaned with the surface prep pads, let it dry. OCD kicked in 100% during this install
I did it totally correctly.
If it falls off easily, it is generally due to two problems:
1. No adhesive is used during installation
2. Driving in rainy weather or car washing within 48 hours after installing the sealing strip will also cause the sealing strip to be not firmly attached.

Isn't the easiest way to test the efficiency of door seals simply to buy some black (or white) waterproof electricians insulating tape ($2 a roll) and just tape over all the shut lines and the edges of the panoramic roof before going out for a test drive? Get a friend to tape the drivers door once you are in the car! That should give a pretty good approximation to whether door seals have any effect. If it works, then by the door seal kit. If not, then remove all the tape. As an ex aerodynamics engineer I totally get that the shut line gaps can cause turbulence, but if they do then simply taping over the shut lines will indicate whether this turbulence creates noise