Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise when not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car parked in the grass today for another round of Zaino application ;). Beautiful day--58°F, clear skies. Despite being parked in the grass unplugged for hours, whenever I knelt down to work low on the car or clean the wheels I heard what sounded like a compressor or fan noise.

What was it? With the relatively moderate temperatures, why was it seemingly on all the time? I assume the car was not actively warming the pack while parked at 58°F, so what was I hearing? No wonder the S in its current firmware state is eating power!

It's 4.2 and the loss of sleep mode. The coolant pump is basically always running now in anticipation of being driven - the car is always "on and ready". This behavior should stop once 4.3 and sleep mode is back. You'll only notice the noises after the car has been driven as the pack cools or if the ambient temp is over 40C for a long time and the pack heats up and requires cooling.

It's 4.2 and the loss of sleep mode. The coolant pump is basically always running now in anticipation of being driven - the car is always "on and ready". This behavior should stop once 4.3 and sleep mode is back. You'll only notice the noises after the car has been driven as the pack cools or if the ambient temp is over 40C for a long time and the pack heats up and requires cooling.

Coolant pump is running with the pack soaked to an ambient temperature of 58°F? Yikes!

why do you wax your car on grass? what's wrong with the driveway?

p.s. - i don't like what they do to pigs in Smithfield. torture, mutilation, and abuse. all so fat Americans can stuff their pie-holes with $4/lb pork instead of $10/lb pork. oh, but i'll buy a $100k car. But pay a little more for meat that is properly raised and slaughtered, what are you CRAZY?!? What do you think, I'm made of money? That I have a printing press at home?!? :cursing:

why do you wax your car on grass? what's wrong with the driveway?

At the time I had the chance to wax the car, the backyard was in shade, the driveway in sun. I wash the car in the shade to avoid spots.

p.s. - i don't like what they do to pigs in Smithfield. torture, mutilation, and abuse. all so fat Americans can stuff their pie-holes with $4/lb pork instead of $10/lb pork. oh, but i'll buy a $100k car. But pay a little more for meat that is properly raised and slaughtered, what are you CRAZY?!? What do you think, I'm made of money? That I have a printing press at home?!? :cursing:

<Shrug>. I dunno. i donate to the Humane Society. Does that help?

I don't like pork, and don't eat bacon much. I'm a pasta guy. How was your day, kinddog? ;)