TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Noise when not charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Todd Burch, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Had my car parked in the grass today for another round of Zaino application ;). Beautiful day--58°F, clear skies. Despite being parked in the grass unplugged for hours, whenever I knelt down to work low on the car or clean the wheels I heard what sounded like a compressor or fan noise.

What was it? With the relatively moderate temperatures, why was it seemingly on all the time? I assume the car was not actively warming the pack while parked at 58°F, so what was I hearing? No wonder the S in its current firmware state is eating power!

2. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

My Volt makes noises all the time. First few weeks I was "worried". Now, I am no longer worried. I don't know what it is doing, but it does it all the time. Part of the Volt taking care of battery business.

3. Todd Burch

I wouldn't expect that any active battery management is needed while parked in 58°F weather.

Not worried, but seems like a big opportunity for energy savings.

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I agree. My volt just makes noises on it's own whim. I leave it alone.

5. strider

strider Active Member

It's 4.2 and the loss of sleep mode. The coolant pump is basically always running now in anticipation of being driven - the car is always "on and ready". This behavior should stop once 4.3 and sleep mode is back. You'll only notice the noises after the car has been driven as the pack cools or if the ambient temp is over 40C for a long time and the pack heats up and requires cooling.

6. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Wow, that is nice to know.

7. Todd Burch

Coolant pump is running with the pack soaked to an ambient temperature of 58°F? Yikes!

8. kinddog

kinddog Banned

why do you wax your car on grass? what's wrong with the driveway?

p.s. - i don't like what they do to pigs in Smithfield. torture, mutilation, and abuse. all so fat Americans can stuff their pie-holes with $4/lb pork instead of $10/lb pork. oh, but i'll buy a $100k car. But pay a little more for meat that is properly raised and slaughtered, what are you CRAZY?!? What do you think, I'm made of money? That I have a printing press at home?!? :cursing:

9. Todd Burch

At the time I had the chance to wax the car, the backyard was in shade, the driveway in sun. I wash the car in the shade to avoid spots.

<Shrug>. I dunno. i donate to the Humane Society. Does that help?

I don't like pork, and don't eat bacon much. I'm a pasta guy. How was your day, kinddog? ;)

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Time to fetch me some popcorn...