Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nokian ONE tires-First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After three years and 31,000 miles, my OEM 19” Continentals were worn down to 3/32nds and getting cupped. I was pretty satisfied with the performance of them over that time, other than the cupping issue that began about 5,000 miles ago. I’m not certain of the cause. I kept the pressure at 42PSI (factory spec) over that time, and there are no alignment issues with the car. I never bothered rotating them, since I figured with my car being RWD that the rear tires would be shot long before the fronts. In spite of my laziness, they all wore evenly with the exception of the cupping. One up them picked up a nail and developed a slow leak over the past few months. I was going to plug it, but I’ve seen that the foam on the inside of these tires doesn’t really make that possible. Liquid sealant apparently won’t work, either. Which is ironic considering Tesla is more than happy to sell you a sealant/compressor combo. I figured that this time around I’d skip the foam. My Nokian Hakkapellitta R3 winter tires don’t have it, and are surprisingly quiet considering that they’re winter tires and pretty heavily siped. I’ve been researching possible replacements since I first bought the car, half-expecting the OEM tires to only last 15-20,000 miles like some others had reported. I was pleasantly surprised they lasted as long as they did, so I consider it a win. I’m not particularly gentle on the car, but I don’t hoon it around like some amateur-hour Ken Block, either. I don’t put too much effort into driving efficiently unless it’s a longish road trip. My lifetime stats on the Contis worked out to 264 Wh/mi. I’m in the northeast, so that’s 95 degree summers and 15-20 degree winters at the extremes, with probably a 60/40 mix of in-town and 75mph highway driving.
My requirements for new tires were these:
1. No foam. I want to be able to plug and seal these if needed.
2. Be as quiet as possible without said foam.
3. Be as close to the efficiency/performance characteristics of the OEM Contis as possible.
4. Hopefully have better tread life and wear characteristics.
I had planned on trying one of the newer EV optimized tires from Goodyear or Hankook, but lack of availability either in the correct size or at all yet meant they they were not an option. I finally settled on Nokian’s ONE tire, apparently new for this year and specifically for the US market. Which means sidewalls reinforced with Aramid fibers since our moonscape, pothole-ridden roads are the enemy of all things round and rubber. They are also all-season, vital for our stupid weather here in the northeast. They are also supposed to be Low Rolling Resistance, which is good for the efficiency. They are supposed to last last 80,000 miles, but realistically I doubt they will. I was impressed as hell with their winter Hakkapellitta R3’s, not only for being absolute beasts in the snow, but for being surprisingly quiet and efficient as well. Putting on a set of their new all-seasons seemed like a decision that had already made itself to me. The results? After an initial 24 mile drive, again roughly 60/40 in-town/75mph highway driving in 80 degree temps with the A/C at 68, energy consumption was 233 Wh/mi. They are very quiet. The lack of foam means that what noise there is sounds more hollow than before, but it’s not distracting or annoying at all. Once I’m above 65mph whatever noise they make is mostly drowned out by wind noise, anyway. This is a 2019, so I don’t have double-paned glass or the less sloppy build quality of newer cars. They might actually ride slightly softer than the Contis, but that may be just the result of actually having some tread on them. They feel good, too. They’re as eager to change direction as the Contis were, and don’t feel squishy. I have to say that I’m very impressed so far. I’ll update this post again once I put some more miles on them.
tempImagefBkPtd.jpg
tempImagedoUDJl.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE #1: We had a sudden rainstorm today, so I took the opportunity to take another quick drive. No issues to report. I had feared that these tires presumably using a harder rubber compound in their effort to increase wear resistance would result in a loss of some grip on wet roads. This doesn't seem to be the case. They also handled some two inch deep standing water very well. Trip was 17 miles at 70mph. 238Wh/mi.

So glad you started this thread. I have same setup, original Contis and 36,000 miles, also with cupping on the inside tread from misaligned toe from the factory. Been studying these Nokia ONE tires after reading a 10,000 mile review on this forum. Hope you keep updating this thread periodically, b/c they have risen to the top of my list of options.

Reactions: Darwood77
Thanks for this post! I have Nokian WR G4 tires on our Model X, and adore them, if slightly noisy.

These ONEs may be just the ticket when I need new tires on the Model 3. I’m also likely to go back to 18” wheels (T-Sportlines?) when the time comes, so I’ll have to see if they are available in the 18” size.

Thanks for the review - I’ve become a big fan of Nokians.

So glad you started this thread. I have same setup, original Contis and 36,000 miles, also with cupping on the inside tread from misaligned toe from the factory. Been studying these Nokia ONE tires after reading a 10,000 mile review on this forum. Hope you keep updating this thread periodically, b/c they have risen to the top of my list of options.
I will try to update this periodically. Was there any other indication of your toe issue other than the cupping? Were they toed in or out? I may have to look into an alignment specifically for that reason to prevent it from happening to these tires. Tesla Service was actually who alerted me that the front tires were cupped, but didn't say anything about why. I had taken it in to be checked out because it sounded like the left front wheel bearing was shot. The car has always tracked straight and still does.

Thanks for this post! I have Nokian WR G4 tires on our Model X, and adore them, if slightly noisy.

These ONEs may be just the ticket when I need new tires on the Model 3. I’m also likely to go back to 18” wheels (T-Sportlines?) when the time comes, so I’ll have to see if they are available in the 18” size.

Thanks for the review - I’ve become a big fan of Nokians.
I had considered the WR G4's, but it seemed like overkill since I have Hakkepelitta R3's for winter. I will say that Nokian's vehicle selector on their website doesn't always turn up all the options for a particular vehicle. I had to search by tire size. They do have them in 18" for Model 3.

Could you link that review? Search isn't turning it up for me for some reason.

I will try to update this periodically. Was there any other indication of your toe issue other than the cupping? Were they toed in or out? I may have to look into an alignment specifically for that reason to prevent it from happening to these tires. Tesla Service was actually who alerted me that the front tires were cupped, but didn't say anything about why. I had taken it in to be checked out because it sounded like the left front wheel bearing was shot. The car has always tracked straight and still does.
They were toed out, inside edges worn. Car tracked straight, but noise level began to increase. I rotated the cupped tires to the rear and had it aligned. Noise level dropped significantly.
Could you link that review? Search isn't turning it up for me for some reason.
I believe it’s post #71

Reactions: Dave EV
They were toed out, inside edges worn. Car tracked straight, but noise level began to increase. I rotated the cupped tires to the rear and had it aligned. Noise level dropped significantly.

I believe it’s post #71
Thank you for the toe-out info and the link. I’ll definitely take mine in for an alignment, probably should’ve done it long ago.

Thanks for your post on the Nokian One tires for your Model 3. I have 18" Aero wheels on our 2020 Model 3 AWD. With about 24,500, it is just about time for new tires. When I had the tires rotated about 5,000 miles ago, one tire was at 5/32 and the others were at 4/32. I looked at the original Michelins but, not satisfied with the price for the low number of miles. The Michelin Crossclimates are highly rated but, we don't need that much of a winter capable tire here in Southern California and I didn't want the extra rolling resistance. So, I went for the order on the Nokian Ones a few minutes ago. The price at Discount Tire Direct was pretty favorable and if it gets 75% of the 80,000 mile warranty, I will be happy. I will post my experience later after I get them installed. Thanks again.

UPDATE #2: It turns out that my car did have some toe-out issues in the rear. Hopefully now that everything is aligned within spec it will prevent these tires from becoming cupped. The tires continue to do well. I should mention that they do have a little bit of a rim protection rib on them, although it’s not big enough to completely prevent damage to the wheel if you curb one. It does seem like it helped to lessen the damage this time, now that I have successfully managed to curb all four wheels over these last three years.

• Informative
Reactions: Tinkerin and KenC
Thanks for the detailed review of the Nokian One on the Model 3. I have been considering that tire as the eventual replacement for our OEM Michelin Primacy tires and have seen very good reviews elsewhere, though mostly in respect of their performance on other vehicles. It is nice to have a detailed review specific to the Tesla. I am more and more heading in the direction of getting these Nokians, though probably not until next Spring.

I had the Nokian One tires installed on our M3 a week ago. We have only driven about 120 miles so take this info with that understanding. For the 25,100 miles we have driven on the original Michelins, we got 240wh/mile. So far, we have used about 250 wh/mile. But, I am not too surprised as the original tires were down to 3-4/32" of tread left so rolling resistance was probably fairly low. We have a roadtrip later this summer so, we will see how it does on that "long ride." At this point, I can't say I have noticed much difference with the noise now that there isn't any foam in the tires but, I am not a good judge of noise as I have tinnitus. The grip on the tires seem fine but, we don't have any rain here in So. Cal. Will post more info in the future.

Reactions: Tinkerin