TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nomad charger issues

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by pmg102, Dec 25, 2019.

1. pmg102

pmg102 Member

Got my car last Wednesday. Had v9. Plugged my nomad wireless charger directly into both USB ports. Charged my iPhone 11 fine. Plugged in the supplier splitter cable, plugged half into Nomad, and USB memory stick into one of the spare ports... charged fine, recorded fine.

Overnight it updated to v10. Next day... USB not recognised. No charging. Plugging direct into 2 ports doesn’t work. Memory stick not recognised if I use the splitter and plug the nomad on. Works fine if I only plug the usb into the splitter.

Anyone had similar problems? Haven’t seen any solutions in the forums. Not expecting a reply from Nomad over the holiday period, but would love to get it working!!

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

So no power to front USB ports?? What about rear ones? Only suggestion is to do a full reboot (2 thumbs on the steering wheel rollers with foot on the brake). See if that helps.

• Like x 1
  3. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

It’s a widespread issue. Same problem with the TapTes wireless pad. Something to do with the car being confused about what’s plugged in or maximum power drain.

Solution seems to be use the splitters on both ports (there’s something in the way it separates power and data signals). Reboot.

• Informative x 1
  4. MOBB

MOBB Member

Same issue here, reboot didn’t fix it so I’ll try the above today :)

5. pmg102

pmg102 Member

Ok - my research agrees - one of the split cables for power only, one for power and data... will try as soon as I can escape the family and sit in the car for a bit.

6. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Some confusion on how to perform full reboot - various correct methods here How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong

tl;dr 'full' reboot - press both steering wheel buttons and brake pedal and keep them pressed until screen reboots and T reappears

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. pmg102

pmg102 Member

Unplugged everything.

Did a full reboot (thanks Vanilla).

Plugged in the splitters using the correct ends for data vs just power

Still not working :-(

8. JPP

JPP Active Member

Remember, if in doubt, remove your Nomad (or other charging system) from your Tesla, find a couple of USB chargers lying around, and plug your wireless charger into a wall outlet. See if it charges and performs normally. If so, then the issue is with the Tesla USB ports (firmware, splitters, etc).

• Like x 1
  9. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

I had the same issue with my Nomad after the car did an upgrade. I was sent a new charger from Nomad after submitting a video.

I suspect the upgrade corrupts the Nomad charger

I have now installed a 12 Volt socket in the front cubby hole, hard wired to the already fitted socket- no more problems.

There is a video on YouTube which I followed to do the job

10. JPP

JPP Active Member

...not sure how a Tesla firmware update would 'corrupt' the Nomad, but rather would impact the operation of the Tesla USB ports with respect to data, power, and the like. And, yes, I use a dedicated 12V-to-USB hub and bypass powering my devices from the Tesla USB ports.

• Informative x 1
  11. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

My Nomad wouldn't work after a firmware update. I tried different supplies, but unfortunately it was non working

12. UrbanSplash

UrbanSplash Member

That’s odd. I’ve a new nomad due to be delivered in the next few days. Hopefully it will work

13. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

This is the video I followed to get an extra 12V socket

14. pmg102

pmg102 Member

So then JPP - I took your good advice...

and the charger melted!

Was plugged in for about 15 seconds when I could smell something. Another 15 and I managed to pull the cables out the charger.

Awful plastic burning smell. A small indent in the back of the unit where it’s melted.

So... it appears the Tesla was detecting over-current and correctly disabling the ports. Thank god it did.

I’ve sent a video to Nomad. Am expecting a replacement unit.

15. pmg102

pmg102 Member

be careful. I’m assuming by hooking straight into the 12V supply you won’t have the same over-charge protection that saved my car from damage!

16. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

I have a Belkin 12v to usb double adaptor

17. xnetco

xnetco Member