Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nomad charger issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car last Wednesday. Had v9. Plugged my nomad wireless charger directly into both USB ports. Charged my iPhone 11 fine. Plugged in the supplier splitter cable, plugged half into Nomad, and USB memory stick into one of the spare ports... charged fine, recorded fine.

Overnight it updated to v10. Next day... USB not recognised. No charging. Plugging direct into 2 ports doesn’t work. Memory stick not recognised if I use the splitter and plug the nomad on. Works fine if I only plug the usb into the splitter.

Anyone had similar problems? Haven’t seen any solutions in the forums. Not expecting a reply from Nomad over the holiday period, but would love to get it working!!

It’s a widespread issue. Same problem with the TapTes wireless pad. Something to do with the car being confused about what’s plugged in or maximum power drain.

Solution seems to be use the splitters on both ports (there’s something in the way it separates power and data signals). Reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: pmg102
Remember, if in doubt, remove your Nomad (or other charging system) from your Tesla, find a couple of USB chargers lying around, and plug your wireless charger into a wall outlet. See if it charges and performs normally. If so, then the issue is with the Tesla USB ports (firmware, splitters, etc).

Reactions: pmg102
I had the same issue with my Nomad after the car did an upgrade. I was sent a new charger from Nomad after submitting a video.

I suspect the upgrade corrupts the Nomad charger

I have now installed a 12 Volt socket in the front cubby hole, hard wired to the already fitted socket- no more problems.

There is a video on YouTube which I followed to do the job

I had the same issue with my Nomad after the car did an upgrade. I was sent a new charger from Nomad after submitting a video.

I suspect the upgrade corrupts the Nomad charger

I have now installed a 12 Volt socket in the front cubby hole, hard wired to the already fitted socket- no more problems.

There is a video on YouTube which I followed to do the job

...not sure how a Tesla firmware update would 'corrupt' the Nomad, but rather would impact the operation of the Tesla USB ports with respect to data, power, and the like. And, yes, I use a dedicated 12V-to-USB hub and bypass powering my devices from the Tesla USB ports.

• Informative
Reactions: AndyS3
...not sure how a Tesla firmware update would 'corrupt' the Nomad, but rather would impact the operation of the Tesla USB ports with respect to data, power, and the like. And, yes, I use a dedicated 12V-to-USB hub and bypass powering my devices from the Tesla USB ports.

My Nomad wouldn't work after a firmware update. I tried different supplies, but unfortunately it was non working

Remember, if in doubt, remove your Nomad (or other charging system) from your Tesla, find a couple of USB chargers lying around, and plug your wireless charger into a wall outlet.

So then JPP - I took your good advice...

and the charger melted!

Was plugged in for about 15 seconds when I could smell something. Another 15 and I managed to pull the cables out the charger.

Awful plastic burning smell. A small indent in the back of the unit where it’s melted.

So... it appears the Tesla was detecting over-current and correctly disabling the ports. Thank god it did.

I’ve sent a video to Nomad. Am expecting a replacement unit.