Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-existent Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a solid opportunity right now for 3'rd party service companies to step in I think.
Can't... They lack access to parts, any parts. They lack access to the diagnostic equipment, all of it. They lack access to service manuals, unless they're in Massachusetts. There is literally zero opportunity for 3rd party service on a Tesla at this time.

Jeff

Do it the old way: Reverse engineer it.

Reactions: neroden
I took your advice and logged into the service portal and scheduled an appt using the app. I hope they read my notes and call me to discuss prior to their 7/1/19 mobile service call. I will keep you posted. Thanks.
Within 1 hour of using the mobile app to schedule an apt I got a call from a rep in their Virtual Service Dept. They contacted my local SC and scheduled a mobile tech to come to my home to install a part that was ordered by my SC. What is also bothersome is that the ordered part sat in the SC and I was not contacted by them to arrange the install. If I had not gone thru the mobile app nothing would have changed. Thanks again.

I think it all depends. I had a mobile service appointment last week. It was set up quickly and easily. They damaged my door replacing the sensor. They scheduled another repair for today.

Repair guy couldn't get behind the door sensor to fix the dent. I just texted the person who was in charge of mobile service who reached out to me and she (granted this is lucky, but this shows how responsive they can be) contacted one of the mobile guys who was in the area. They got a Lyft out to my house with some tools to take apart the door panel so the dent repair guy could fix the damage. During the install, a second tesla guy came to bring more tools in their model S vehicle. They were still missing parts and they had a third part dropped off within 15 minutes (granted the service center is less than 10 minutes from my house). The entire fix took three of their guys but they were EXTREMELY responsive.

I think it's unfair to say that, across the board, they're totally unresponsive. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've always had a pretty darn good experience from the initial ordering with my through delivery and all warranty work I've had to do.

Just thought I'd chime in on a positive experience to at least prove that they can be extremely responsive and helpful too.

Within 1 hour of using the mobile app to schedule an apt I got a call from a rep in their Virtual Service Dept. They contacted my local SC and scheduled a mobile tech to come to my home to install a part that was ordered by my SC. What is also bothersome is that the ordered part sat in the SC and I was not contacted by them to arrange the install. If I had not gone thru the mobile app nothing would have changed.
My experience is that service scheduling through the app is the most consistent and predictable way. Glad to hear you got an appointment set.

• Informative
I think it all depends. I had a mobile service appointment last week. It was set up quickly and easily. They damaged my door replacing the sensor. They scheduled another repair for today.

Repair guy couldn't get behind the door sensor to fix the dent. I just texted the person who was in charge of mobile service who reached out to me and she (granted this is lucky, but this shows how responsive they can be) contacted one of the mobile guys who was in the area. They got a Lyft out to my house with some tools to take apart the door panel so the dent repair guy could fix the damage. During the install, a second tesla guy came to bring more tools in their model S vehicle. They were still missing parts and they had a third part dropped off within 15 minutes (granted the service center is less than 10 minutes from my house). The entire fix took three of their guys but they were EXTREMELY responsive.

I think it's unfair to say that, across the board, they're totally unresponsive. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've always had a pretty darn good experience from the initial ordering with my through delivery and all warranty work I've had to do.

Just thought I'd chime in on a positive experience to at least prove that they can be extremely responsive and helpful too.

While responsiveness is nice, the fact that a mobile tech didn't have the tools required to do the job BEFORE they were dispatched is pretty ridiculous. It should be pretty obvious what tools are required to get behind a door and fix a dent. The fact that they were missing tools for a relatively standard repair screams of disorganization.

They're not alone. I worked for a computer company subcontracting its hardware service to Kodak, and the guys invariably arrived to replace Itanium processors (shipped separately) without an extraction tool for those ("wot? You mean it's not a Pentium (tm)? ").

• Informative
While customer service is not where we might like it; it could be worse.

Recently bought a Toyota Tacoma to be equipped with a truck bed shell. We were told it would be ready in four to six weeks. At eight weeks, we called in to find that Bogus ran the department. After about six clowns called bending over backwards, the part shell was finally ordered. I required a SPA day for the truck and a full tank of gas since I had to drive a ways. Should have demanded a Starbucks coffee card too.

When it came to getting the work done, finally, the manager acted as though he was clueless of the situation and had no words of we are sorry.

The Tesla Pickup ~ Model T (Truck), will be our Tacoma and Model X replacement.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
I used my Tesla app and set up a mobile appointment really quick. I live in VA so I don’t know if that makes a difference but it shouldn’t! I had service completed on my M3 thru the app before and I was really pleased and impressed! Good luck my friend...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
My Model X spent a lot of time in service, and on several occasions. I could lemon the car if I wanted. It was bad.

But I was blown away by the integrity and ease of the process. This was a little over a year ago.

Fast forward to today, COMPLETELY different experience with my Model 3. And I get the feeling service would be difficult with the X as well.

• Informative
Welcome to the current state of Tesla... If you're not buying a Model 3 today, you simply don't exist. Yeah, I'm sure others are going to chime in and tell me how wrong I am and blah blah blah...

The ONLY thing Tesla cares about right now, is the final delivery number for the quarter and that's being driven entirely by the Model 3. Everything else comes in a very distant second...

You'd get better customer service from Comcast right now.

Jeff

Don’t call. I couldn’t get the SC to answer either, but I had Tesla mobile service out today for a cosmetic problem. Scheduled on phone 5 days ago, showed up on time.

On the east coast and getting great service. No perfect car company exists. Tesla may not be right for you which is fine.
I don't see y'all as victims.

Check out Etron translation from French ...

I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread has suggested they are expecting Tesla to be a "perfect company": no one is that naive. More to the point, regardless of whether it is an expensive car or and inflatable airbed, if a customer has a problem, one expects that company to have an accessible point of contact, the company to be responsive to the issue and try to address it in a timely manner: plain and simple, that's just good business practice, especially if you want repeat business.

WRT to "Tesla may not be right for you", I don't know what that means? It seems to imply that the problem is the buyer's to deal with and not Saint Tesla's. The service problems discussed are not those of one individual complaining but a whole lot of owners. Are we all supposed to sell our cars (which most of us love) to get rid of the problem? Not going to happen.

While responsiveness is nice, the fact that a mobile tech didn't have the tools required to do the job BEFORE they were dispatched is pretty ridiculous. It should be pretty obvious what tools are required to get behind a door and fix a dent. The fact that they were missing tools for a relatively standard repair screams of disorganization.
To be fair, they came out there without notice, within ten minutes otherwise my dent repair guy was going to leave. While it's nice they did that, they definitely have issues. They left the car in a worse condition than it was and now I have to wait to get more parts to repair issues. My post was just out of responsiveness, not that everything is rosy. Though most dealerships have these kinds of issues as well. I don't like any particular manufacturer when it comes to dealing with issues.

So don't get me wrong. I'm not a happy camper right now, but not because of their lack of responsiveness.

• Informative
Obviously, customer service is not bad since many people are having positive experiences. A lot of generalizing here that does not reflect all experiences. Wait until you experience service from BMW, Tesla has been much better.

I think that people who own Tesla vehicles and are having issues with Tesla customer service really don't care how things are at BMW, or any other dealer. That has NOTHING to do with their problems WITH Tesla. Other brands' issues are totally irrelevant.

Some of the posters here claim that Tesla always has bad customer service and they do it on purpose, with sinister motives, and take pleasure in abandoning owners. That sounds like FUD.
Volkswagen has such a reputation for honesty! (sarcasm). I think that's relevant.

Incorrect... We are long term owners and have seen Tesla Customer Service decline rapidly since 2012-2017.