Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-OEM Cabin Air Filter Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many out there now, keep it simple and get the OE non-OEM branded one here:
Purolator PBC41506 PurolatorBOSS... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DBRXW81?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Clean your evap coils and HVAC intake in the frunk area while you are at it. Check your AC usage and recirc usage pattern vs whats recommended on here in threads related to AC odor.
Thanks for replying. I will for sure be cleaning the coils while I am at it. What’s strange is I have kept the climate on “Auto” since day one. That being said, I am not sure if recirc is ever activated in “Auto”.

'Auto' has gotten better from the earlier days of the 3/Y twins (with software releases in 2019/2020) but I would suggest keeping it off, especially outside of summer season or temps.

Auto will often force recirc and/or keep the AC on longer than needed.

-Good to 'flush' the system with fresh air as often as you can.
-Good to run fresh air fan-only after extended AC use for a few minutes while still at speed before parking.
-Good to run the AC once in a while, say once a month - year-round (even in winter and even if requesting heat) to keep the compressor lubricated and refrigerant gases flowing

I noticed also those filters with Carbon or Hepa,

Is there any real differences?
Which one would you recommend?
Before these STP Max filters from AutoZone, I had one of the aftermarket "HEPA" air filters. I would recommend the STP filters over the "HEPA" filters because when I took those out the bottom one was ripped a bit and was difficult to take out.
IMG_20220624_082705061.jpgIMG_20220704_192727605.jpg

Aliexpress has fine mesh air inlet covers, apparently small debris can get through the OEM cover and rot on the filter creating odors. With these your just wipe off, make sure you look at one with good ratings. While at it also get second row foot blower vent covers, these angle upward and can fill up with xxxx.

I haven't tried that one, but had another aftermarket carbon "HEPA" filter like the one that Taptes is comparing to when showing their benefits. It seems like the Taptes fixes my two main complains with the filters I had, with the foam gasket making them hard to pull out and getting stuck, and the pull ribbon tearing on one of them when I tried to pull it out.

Reactions: brkaus and RSpanner

I’ve had the Taptes filters for about a year now. I recently pulled them out to check and they still looked clean.

The main advantage of the Taptes (or similar) is the PVC frame. Because in M3 the filters are so close to the AC coils, the OEM filters (or similar) with paper frames get soaked and start growing mold, which is one of the causes of the vinegar smell.

I’ve had the Taptes filters for about a year now. I recently pulled them out to check and they still looked clean.

The main advantage of the Taptes (or similar) is the PVC frame. Because in M3 the filters are so close to the AC coils, the OEM filters (or similar) with paper frames get soaked and start growing mold, which is one of the causes of the vinegar smell.
Now that you said that, it makes perfect sense. Thanks

Reactions: ArtK

I’m not sure about that. I pulled my filters when my car smelled like ass and the filters had no smell to them. It didn’t look like any mold was on it either.

Reactions: jsmay311
I’m not sure about that. I pulled my filters when my car smelled like ass and the filters had no smell to them. It didn’t look like any mold was on it either.
To reiterate, the paper filter frame is one of the potential causes. The mold may appear on the coils (pictures of such growth on other threads in the forum), and I guess other parts of the system. By installing a non-paper frame filter you reduce the chances of the bad smell but you don’t fully eliminate it.

Since this is coming up again, I'll make my normal note. HEPA is a very loosely used term because there is no legal regulation of the term and what it means. Anyone who ACTUALLY wants a HEPA rated filter should ask for the certification or testing documentation from the company. No company that I am aware of selling "HEPA" filters for the model 3 has been able to supply any documentation to prove their filter actually meets the HEPA standard.

So if you want to pay more for HEPA you should verify it is really tested properly...and if you are not really paying more for a "HEPA" filter, than chances are, you aren't getting a HEPA tested filter.

Unfortunately the HEPA standard and terminology is not legally enforceable.

If anyone has found actual HEPA certified and tested filter, I would love to see the documentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keninblaine
Before these STP Max filters from AutoZone, I had one of the aftermarket "HEPA" air filters. I would recommend the STP filters over the "HEPA" filters because when I took those out the bottom one was ripped a bit and was difficult to take out.
View attachment 833751View attachment 833752
Time to replace my cabin air filters again and this time I'm going to try the WIX cabin air filters that I can get at O'Reilly Auto Parts https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../v/a/145153/automotive-car-2018-tesla-3?pos=0.

They are pretty expensive at $65 (Compared to the OEM ones at $34 and my previous STP ones at $27). The STP ones did well for about 30,000 miles but I recently started smelling a "damp" smell when I sometimes turn on the AC. Time to use the Kool-It and replace the filters. Will see how well the WIX filters do.

View attachment 833751View attachment 833752
Good deed, ordered this and a can of Kool T. Studying the Chinese honeycomb frame filters on Amazon, they all seem to be clones of each other. My 2022 M3LR is not even a year old and I even installed a fine mesh leaf guard over the air intake frunk side right after I got the car. I live in temperate climate so this must be a design flaw.