Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non T0 / T1 tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know everyone says you don't need the foam in the tyres as it makes no difference, but I've replaced my tyres with 19" Michelin PS4 (no foam) and on the M25 between juction 16 > 10 there is a orange strech of road which I assume is made out of concrete (not tarmac) and it is absolutely deafening.

When I had my 18" aero wheels with PS4 non acoustic (with foam) it wasn't that loud, the humming sound was almost non existant, but with my new 19" Michelin PS4 (no foam) I swear I will go deaf in both ears.
Will bring earplugs next time with me when I drive on that stretch of road again.

Anyone else with non foam tyres experienced that on the M25 or just me?

I know everyone says you don't need the foam in the tyres as it makes no difference, but I've replaced my tyres with 19" Michelin PS4 (no foam) and on the M25 between juction 16 > 10 there is a orange strech of road which I assume is made out of concrete (not tarmac) and it is absolutely deafening.

When I had my 18" aero wheels with PS4 non acoustic (with foam) it wasn't that loud, the humming sound was almost non existant, but with my new 19" Michelin PS4 (no foam) I swear I will go deaf in both ears.
Will bring earplugs next time with me when I drive on that stretch of road again.

Anyone else with non foam tyres experienced that on the M25 or just me?
I recently went over that stretch in (original) Pilots with foam. It was deafening. Turn the music up? Or, as you say earplugs.

I want the people who do the autobahns to do UK roads. No hope, but lovely roads.

Reactions: Doudeau and Liquidv
The difference you are noticing is probably the change from 18 inch wheels to 19 inch and the lower profile tyre.
The acoustic liner is absolutely pointless, The acoustic material is wrapped around the inside of the carcase the opposite side of the tyre tread - so logic tells you - If you were sitting inside the tyre then it would make a difference. The noise you hear is generated from the tyre and road surface - that sound will radiate in all directions - so the only way acoustic material could work is if the entire passenger cabin was insulated with it.

Its a complete ruse by the tyre companies to generate more profit by providing a believable but phoney benefit - like the snake oil products for ICE vehicles so they double their fuel economy.

Reactions: Liquidv
That stretch of road (especially clockwise heading towards Leatherhead junction) is mostly always noisy, often unbearable sometimes with a hum that just penetrates. It’s quite possible that it’s very weather dependent, or at least how ‘green’ the surface is.

I cannot remember specifics from any random trips in the Tesla (standard and winter tyres) over the last couple of years but I can certainly say that I have had no ‘wow, that’s quiet’ moments compared with ICE cars although maybe the acoustic tyres would stop any of the hum.

Reactions: Liquidv
You did the sensible thing and saved a few quid too, everything in life has a "frequency" at which it resonates, when something resonates at a certain frequency it does lead to a vibration or sound - so you can feel or hear it. Its possible and quite probable the acoustic foam changes the frequency of the tyre and all humans have different sensitivities to noise - so one may think something is loud or unbearable whilst another hears nothing untoward, (like a finger nail on a chalk board) Frequency can be changed however - so adjusting your speed up or down will totally change the perceived noise.