Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate+ Tyres on 19" Model 3 Sport Wheels - AMA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 SR+ with the 19" sport wheels last August and it came with the stock Hankook Ventus Evo S3 235/40/R19 tyres. I've put 19,320 miles on them since then and, on the whole they were great tyres in most conditions. They were grippy and responsive and I got decent efficiency. I live in Surrey so our winters are pretty mild and last winter was pretty on par. Even though we didn't have any snow, I did experience quite a bit of noticeable wheels slips and rear end shimmeys in the cold and wet which makes sense given then Hankooks are summer tyres. I had a look at the all

However, coming into this winter, I wanted to get a pair of all-season tyres put on. The Hankooks still have plenty of life in them but I decided to take the plunge. I'm not a track driver so I don't need super performant tyres and I did not want to swap between summer and winters so I focussed in on all seasons. It came down to the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and the Michelin Crossclimate. Both were models that did not have 235/40R19 versions last year but do the year. I ended up going with the Crossclimates as they seemed to score better in the wet and the dry braking results. I ended up getting a great price on camskill.co.uk that worked out to £151.20/tyre + £12/tyre to install and balance.

I received them this week (3 days after ordering) and got them installed today. I'll keep feeding back throughout the winter and into next year but I thought I'd start this thread since there seemed to be a lot of coverage of these tyres but nothing on the 235/40 19" Model 3 sport wheels (on a RWD SR+).

Initial reactions:

- Certainly feel the wet grip better. Far less spinning today on the leaves and wet tarmac.
- There's a different sound in the cabin. I wouldn't say louder than the Hankooks, just different. It's kind of hard to describe
- The tyres fit on the rims different. It looks like the rim sticks out a bit more on the cross climate BUT the cross climates actually bulb out more at the top so the rim protection is about equal. See the pics below of one of the old Hankooks still on and the new Crossclimate on the front
- I did a bit of hard breaking on a stretch of road and they performed well.
- There's certainly a feeling of "more" rubber on the tyres when manoeuvring at speed. I'll need to keep an eye on this.

IMG_1359.jpeg
IMG_1349.jpeg
IMG_1358.jpeg
IMG_1344.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg

I had a read of this blog where the driver had the 18” variants and whilst it showed range loss vs OEM, it seemed to be heavily dependent on weather Michelin CrossClimate+ 18" tires for Tesla Model 3 are a viable year-round replacement: better in snow & rain, protect rims, cost less, last longer, reducing range slightly | TinkerTry IT @ Home

I’m keen to see how much the real world hit is. I’ve got last years’ TeslaMate data to compare with so we’ll be able to do some like for like drives. I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of range for traction and stability though.

Sorry to drag this thread back up after so long but had a quick question for those switching between summer & winter tyres - can you just switch tyres on the same rims and then switch back at the next season change, or did you buy a second set of rims for the winters?

Sorry to drag this thread back up after so long but had a quick question for those switching between summer & winter tyres - can you just switch tyres on the same rims and then switch back at the next season change, or did you buy a second set of rims for the winters?
Maybe not the best thread for this discussion but the answer is yes, you can switch your tyres each season on the same rims ... that's what I do. There are advantages to having another set of rims of course because you could use one as a spare and it saves making a garage appointment and paying (I paid £48) for the switch over and balance. I tend to think there is a small benefit of getting your tyres freshly balanced ... and a huge saving in initial cost of the wheels. It also enables you to establish a relationship with a local garage, which can then become more familiar with your car, and then may be happier to take on minor service work e.g. brake servicing.

I have Michelin Cross Climate tyres on 18" wheels on my 2014 Morgan Plus 8. With NO electronic traction control or support grip is paramount. In the summer I have Michelin Pilot Sport S4 on 19" rims.
Both are excellent tyres, but the PS4s are not fun as the temperature drops.
Don't know what I'll get on my M3LR, but the demmo car had Michelin Primacy 4s.

Just fitted Pirelli CINTURATO ALL SEASON SF 2 to my long range M3 with 18" wheels. Think they have just come out? I have the Cross Climate + on a VW UP! and they are great but C Economy rating a concern with the M3.

In comparison, the Pirelli are B rated for Economy and Wet Grip and are only 1 db noisier than the Cross Climate +. Coming home from the tyre fitter they are much quieter than the PS4s that were on the car but it will take time to assess wider performance...

Can't speak for every winter tyre but in my personal experience the "premium" ones don't have much of an impact on fuel economy provided they're inflated appropriately.

Both my cars previous to the M3 used to do better fuel economy on their winter tyres than on the stickier summer variants. To be honest I think it's much safer to run winter tyres all year round than to do the opposite with summer tyres, particularly as the tread approaches 2mm.

Lease includes tyres on my car but will put winter tyres on myself and accept the cost.

Reactions: Adopado
BlackCircles currently have Michelin Primacy 4 for just £146 per tire fully fitted.

Looks like a good tyre for grip and economy.
If you have a Costco membership then its £124.7 each fitted at the moment at their warehouses when brought in pairs with their promotion £136 regular price - £20 discount + £8.40 fitting = total £124.7

If you don't have a membership many people have used National Trust to be eligible and sign up for a Costco membership.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 21.43.36.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 21.43.36.png
    866.1 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Nick77