Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Dakota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the looks at the proposed maps supplied by tesla, they are getting more aggressive in putting up SC's. Guessing, things will resume full throttle when weather warms up a bit. They knocked out 4 chargers here in NE in less than 2 months and all four where constructed simultaneously. It was impressive.

Don't get your hopes up. There's been a SC planed (Coming soon) for at least 3 years in Omaha but yet all they have is ranger techs here. No SC yet. Closest one is Kansas City.
I would guess Omaha has been scrapped as a supercharger site, but maybe a service center (actual building) is still in the works. But I do believe Fargo will get their long awaited and deserved supercharger this spring. Certainly has been a lot of chatter and with Clearwater up it's only logical that they keep moving west on I-94 when weather permits.

Reactions: lightfoot3b
I would guess Omaha has been scrapped as a supercharger site, but maybe a service center (actual building) is still in the works. But I do believe Fargo will get their long awaited and deserved supercharger this spring. Certainly has been a lot of chatter and with Clearwater up it's only logical that they keep moving west on I-94 when weather permits.

Omaha already has a supercharger. It's in Council Bluffs, IA but that is well within the Omaha/Council Bluffs Metropolitan area. Fargo does need a Supercharger to allow for I-29 Travel. I would love to be able to go to Canada via I-29 at some point. I just wouldn't count on a SC for you all anytime soon as it's been over 3 years for Omaha and yet no SC. Yeah we got rangers but they can't do very much at all. It's truely pathetic that every year we have to make a trip to Kansas City to have our annual done due to this.

Reactions: lightfoot3b
Omaha already has a supercharger. It's in Council Bluffs, IA but that is well within the Omaha/Council Bluffs Metropolitan area. Fargo does need a Supercharger to allow for I-29 Travel. I would love to be able to go to Canada via I-29 at some point. I just wouldn't count on a SC for you all anytime soon as it's been over 3 years for Omaha and yet no SC. Yeah we got rangers but they can't do very much at all. It's truely pathetic that every year we have to make a trip to Kansas City to have our annual done due to this.

Terrible use of abbreviations :)

I saw that article last eve too. It left me wondering if they are going to set up level two chargers or faster ones. Level 2 chargers are relatively useless for long distance travel, unless you have a lot of time to charge. They are much better for adding a few miles while running errands. I hope they at least put in a few DC fast chargers to help facilitate state wide travel.

From the article:

"South Dakota has placed electric charging stations along Interstate 90, a major tourist highway, said Ed Gruchalla, another CLEAN member."

That's a bit inaccurate; Tesla has placed electric charging stations along I-90 in SD; I don't think anyone else really contributed (Little Red Hen anyone?). With that said, ND will get $1M for infrastructure from the VW settlement and it would be great to see it go toward DC fast chargers. $1M would pay for 20-25 of them (although I doubt all the money would go toward chargers).

I just listened to Ed Gruchalla and Paul Jensen of the C.L.E.A.N. team doing a radio interview on KFGO about their EV charger proposal.
Just wanted to thank them and their group for taking the initiative on this proposal.
Of the $7.5 million coming to ND from the settlement, 15% ($1.125 million) may be used for EV Charging infrastructure. On the radio show they estimated their 3 phase proposal (Chargers all along I-94 from Fargo to Beach, I-29, and Highway 2) would cost around $900,000.

After the Volkswagen emission ordeal, I couldn't think of a better way to spend this money to help reduce emissions, as well as making it possible for EV owners to travel across ND. I think ND would also see a bump in tourism from EV owners now being able to access our national and state parks.

And finally, as a Tesla owner in Western North Dakota, it's very exciting to hear about the possibility of being able to travel across the state in my EV. Big shout out to the C.L.E.A.N. team and the work you guys are doing!

Reactions: msksus1
I live in South Dakota and am shopping for a Tesla Model X. I live just south of Aberdeen so I can understand how you guys in North Dakota feel. While we do have a few SC along I-90 the rest of the state has been ignored. Would really like to feel some SC love in at least Watertown and Sioux Falls. Right now, if I had a Tesla and wanted to go from my house to Minneapolis (a trip I make often) rather than going straight across highway 212 like I do now, I would have to go down to I-90, over to Worthington, MN, and angle across MN up to 169 and into the cities. Almost 200 miles out of my way! But there is nothing for chargers across SD and MN along 212 except for a few campgrounds which usually aren't open in the winter. Crossing my fingers and hoping both our states see a few more get built this year!

I live in South Dakota and am shopping for a Tesla Model X. I live just south of Aberdeen so I can understand how you guys in North Dakota feel. While we do have a few SC along I-90 the rest of the state has been ignored. Would really like to feel some SC love in at least Watertown and Sioux Falls. Right now, if I had a Tesla and wanted to go from my house to Minneapolis (a trip I make often) rather than going straight across highway 212 like I do now, I would have to go down to I-90, over to Worthington, MN, and angle across MN up to 169 and into the cities. Almost 200 miles out of my way! But there is nothing for chargers across SD and MN along 212 except for a few campgrounds which usually aren't open in the winter. Crossing my fingers and hoping both our states see a few more get built this year!

Aberdeen to Clearwater is 241 miles. That is doable in some vehicles and/or good wether.....but not very practical.