Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not another paint protection and wrap thread!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Sorry, I know these topics have been beaten to death and trust me that I've read the other threads already, but please bear with me for a very specific question. ;)

I want Xpel Ultimate for the front and Opti-Coat Pro for the rest of the car. In my area, there are detailers that can do Xpel or Opti-Coat but I can't find anyone that does both. From what I understand, the ideal scenario would be to have paint correction, then Xpel for the front, then Opti-Coat for the rest of the car. Is there any harm in doing the Xpel for the front WITHOUT paint correction first? Obviously the Xpel installer will do a thorough cleaning and clay bar if needed. But is it worth the hassle to try to arrange for formal paint correction before the Xpel?

The adhesive in the film will fill in minor swirls and imperfections. So long as the paint is super clean (thorough washing and clay bar as you state) I don't see the need for a full on paint correction before application of the film on a new car.

It all depends on the condition of the paint when you receive the car of course. If it's in reasonable shape, then you're fine. If it was terribly messed up during delivery prep, well then correction could be needed before the film. But I'd argue with Tesla to pay for that if it came that bad.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'm taking delivery from the factory so hopefully that reduces 1 variable with the delivery prep. Does anyone know if Solid White body color is more or less prone to imperfections (or at least be less noticeable)?

The adhesive in the film will fill in minor swirls and imperfections. So long as the paint is super clean (thorough washing and clay bar as you state) I don't see the need for a full on paint correction before application of the film on a new car.

It all depends on the condition of the paint when you receive the car of course. If it's in reasonable shape, then you're fine. If it was terribly messed up during delivery prep, well then correction could be needed before the film. But I'd argue with Tesla to pay for that if it came that bad.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'm taking delivery from the factory so hopefully that reduces 1 variable with the delivery prep. Does anyone know if Solid White body color is more or less prone to imperfections (or at least be less noticeable)?

To answer your first question, no matter how bad the swirls are, even some scratches, once film is applied, NOTHING will be seen. The film acts as a new layer of clearcoat. It all depends on how OCD you are. Some people, just knowing those issues are there, cannot bare it on a new car.

If you're not fortunate enough to have someone that can apply a proper coating and install PPF, simply do the following:

1. Drop off at detail shop and have them do a proper pre-prep for the film
2. Drive to PPF installer. Have them simply wash the car prior to installing PPF. They shouldn't need to clay/polish, etc.
3. Once PPF is applied, drive back to detailer and have them finish up the whole car

Answering your last question, a white car will show a little less imperfection than a dark car. However, a trained eye can see imperfections no matter what color the car.

Tesla paint is very soft. Most our clients simply bring their cars straight from dealer to our studio. I don't care how dirty the car is, I want it unmolested by someone that isn't qualified, or worthy, of working on such a car.

Just an update and to help those who are undecided. I went with full body paint correction, full body opticoat, xpel ultimate front, and additional opticoat on top of the xpel. No issues with the xpel adhering to the opticoat. I guess you could say my front has an xpel/opticoat sandwich. ;)