Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel nag randomly doesn’t occur

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed randomly I will get periods of time where I have zero steering wheel nag no matter what. One time was on a 250 mile road trip made at the entire road trip without one single nag. Then this morning running errands not one nag when driving all over town.
Typically the nag is anywhere between 30 seconds and a couple minutes occurrence.
Curious if it ever happens to others where they simply don’t get nagged for extended periods of time or if there is a way to trigger it or if it’s just a bug.

The longest no-nag AP session I've had was probably 15 to 20 minutes. As I recall it was on a reasonably straight uninterrupted road with little traffic and full sun.

Usually it's more like 10 to 30 seconds. Lately it's been more cranky.

I’ve noticed randomly I will get periods of time where I have zero steering wheel nag no matter what. One time was on a 250 mile road trip made at the entire road trip without one single nag. Then this morning running errands not one nag when driving all over town.
Typically the nag is anywhere between 30 seconds and a couple minutes occurrence.
Curious if it ever happens to others where they simply don’t get nagged for extended periods of time or if there is a way to trigger it or if it’s just a bug.
I had a 20 mile nag-free drive on an interstate that ended with the car falsely deciding that I had a defeat device attached to the steering wheel. It was fun while it lasted!

Reactions: Terminator857
Went on a 50 mile trip this morning, combination of 80% highway and 20% city streets.
With nobody to talk to, other than the bug reports at each disengagement, (90 of those), I counted 150 nags and of course around 50 dry wipes on dry, cloudy day with clean windshield and car - WTF? I really can't drive and write down each disengagement and of course there is no response to those. Would it help if when I have a passenger, I could get them to write down each answer to "DISENGAGEMENT - WHAT HAPPENED?"

Went on a 50 mile trip this morning, combination of 80% highway and 20% city streets.
With nobody to talk to, other than the bug reports at each disengagement, (90 of those), I counted 150 nags and of course around 50 dry wipes on dry, cloudy day with clean windshield and car - WTF? I really can't drive and write down each disengagement and of course there is no response to those. Would it help if when I have a passenger, I could get them to write down each answer to "DISENGAGEMENT - WHAT HAPPENED?"
90 disengagements on a 50 minute trip (assuming you drove 60MPH on average)? That's a disengagement every 30 seconds or so.

What were your common issues for disengagement?

90 disengagements on a 50 minute trip (assuming you drove 60MPH on average)? That's a disengagement every 30 seconds or so.

What were your common issues for disengagement?
Minimal lane change ON. Wipers OFF - no matter, still dry wipes.
1 - Trying to go 25mph in a 10mph zone.
12 - Trying to drive in left (oncoming) lane, while meeting traffic.
1 - Trying to pull onto highway with no acceleration / merge lane and 75mph traffic with no where near enough gap time.
2 - Met car on two lane highway - it disengaged, slammed on the brakes and stopped.
1 - Met a truck on two lane highway.
1 - Divided four lane highway 75mph. Came up behind semi driving at around 45. Signaled and pulled into passing lane. When around 20 feet from semi, car tried to dive into lane behind semi - that gave me 1/2 second to yank it back into passing lane, which disengaged or would have run into rear of semi.
6 - (est) dove into left lane short U-turn ramp and would have had to make a 75mph U-turn if it figured out the lane was ending and the route was straight ahead.
2 - Car on right shoulder with flashing warning lights. I signaled a change to left lane (courtesy), car did not change or acknowledge lane change - when I forced it, disengagement.
1 - Police car on right shoulder with flashing red and blue lights behind car with flashing hazard lights, same as above.
10 (est) Nav announce in 500 ft, turn right and car dove into far left lane.
12 (est) Nav announce in 1,000 ft, turn left and car dove into far right lane.
On most of these 22, if I had not been hyper alert, it would have slammed into the car in the blind spot, because there usually was one.
Tried to turn into parking lots at 55 mph, both hard left and hard right.
Usually there would be a few of trying to turn into the oncoming traffic lane, but there didn't happen to be any today.

That's the best that I can recall. I really want to try getting a passenger to record them for the sake of accuracy.

Got the update last night. Drove to work this morning and did not get the nag the entire time I was on the interstate.
I admit I turned off FSD when I went through a construction zone, but turned it right back on. Is this a result of the cabin
camera watching me and knowing I am paying attention?
At any rate, it was great!

Reactions: Terminator857
Does that route include intersections with traffic lights? I think I get a nag at EVERY light usually immediately before or after the intersection.
It does include multiple lights, but sadly as of today the nag is back with a vengeance… really ridiculous how much it nags despite by focused straight ahead always… can’t wait for the day it’s gone