Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not charging every day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@gmorgan88 - try looking at this web site to see if the charging station at your apartment complex is listed.
PlugShare

If it is there, then the listing probably displays the price per kWh or per hour, as well as usable amperage and voltage. For 30A @ 208V that is 6240 Watts. For each hour of charge time, divide 6240 by about 300 Wh/mi gives roughly 20.8 miles of range. You can also use the 300 Wh/mi figure along with the price to determine the amount you'll pay per mile. Yes, there are charging losses and 300 may not be the exact figure for the model you get, but this math will get you close.

As for not plugging in every day, that is perfectly fine as long as you avoid letting the car sit with under 20% or over 90% state of charge.

(For those who derated the 30A down to 24, that rule applies to an electrical outlet, not an EVSE. A 30A EVSE, wired properly, can supply 30A continuously)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyG
I think having your car plugged in more will also keep the 12V battery more healthy... They're undersized and can go dead on you if not kept charged... Technically the car should charge the 12V from the traction pack, but I swear my 12V batteries died a lot quicker and needed changing more often when I wasn't plugging in every day... Just my obvservation. I would also agree with others here it's better to charge more often and keep your battery out of the extremes <10% or >90%... best to keep it between 20-80% and it's much easier to do that by plugging in each night. I would try to get more charging stations installed if I were you.

(For those who derated the 30A down to 24, that rule applies to an electrical outlet, not an EVSE. A 30A EVSE, wired properly, can supply 30A continuously)
Not necessarily, it depends on the manufacturer and their system for naming their EVSEs. Some identify them by the size circuit they need and some identify them by the output. For an example of the former, the Clipper Creek CS-60 is called that because it’s on a 60A circuit, but it’s output is 48A. A ChargePoint 32A charging station is called that because it has 32A output.

(For those who derated the 30A down to 24, that rule applies to an electrical outlet, not an EVSE. A 30A EVSE, wired properly, can supply 30A continuously)[/USER]
Not necessarily, it depends on the manufacturer and their system for naming their EVSEs. Some identify them by the size circuit they need and some identify them by the output. For an example of the former, the Clipper Creek CS-60 is called that because it’s on a 60A circuit, but it’s output is 48A. A ChargePoint 32A charging station is called that because it has 32A output.
On those same notes... don't forget that these numbers are what the chargers are capable of, not necessarily what they are delivering. Any of these units can be configured to output a lower amperage at the discretion of the owner/installer.

A Tesla will also monitor voltage drop and reduce current demand when necessary. Personally I would try to plug in every night and keep the battery at 80% for the morning drive. You never know when you may need the car for a longer route that day and it's nice not to have range anxiety.

I treat my iPhone and Model S the same. Both are charged each night to be topped up for the next day. So far no issues with either.

Reactions: JohnnyG