Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting push notifications of software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since V10 I’m no longer getting push notifications when an update is available despite having this setting turned on in the app. I get them when the update starts though. Is this broken for everyone or just me? I’d like to know if an update is available on my phone like I did before.

The last, and only, update I got was v10. And I didn't et v10 until they had already released the minor point upgrade that some of the early FSD v10 people got. I got a notification for that. I don't know that there has been any update since then to notify me about.

I do know that notifications are working as I got one last night when I turned on the climate control while it was parked alerting me that it had been on for a long time. (it was freezing outside and I wanted the car to be warm when I got in, so I turned in on about an hour before I was ready to leave)

Make sure in setting under notifications that you have a vehicle selected, I wasnt getting the notifications either and went into the settings and noticed that I no longer had a vehicle selected.

Attachments

• notifications.jpg
    notifications.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 158
You said app update. Do you mean the iPhone/Android update? Need to clarify what we’re talking about. There have been four (as of tonight) car v10 firmware parts of v10.

Cars are currently getting 2019.32.12.1.

App (iOS) is 3.10.0

If you are talking about the notification on the phone app that a firmware update for the car is available, that only shows when the software is on the car. If the car isn’t on wifi only the indicator in the app and in the car will show that you need to put the car on WiFi to download the update.

Note that (at least for iOS) you may have to go to notifications and set it to ‘persistent’ so that it won’t disappear on the phone. I always have to redo this if I ever logout of the Tesla app as it gets reset. Once this set the phone notification will ‘stick’ so you can see it.

However as stated if your car isn’t on wifi you will have to check the app itself or the car to see the ‘ready for download’ arrow symbol.

Last edited:
I quit getting all Tesla app notifications (software updates, charging complete, etc.) right about the time I updated to iOS 13. I tried everything I could think of to get them working again including turning notifications off and back on again, force quitting the app and restarting, nothing worked for me. I finally completely deleted (uninstalled) the app, rebooted the phone, reinstalled the app and my notifications are working again.

I quit getting all Tesla app notifications (software updates, charging complete, etc.) right about the time I updated to iOS 13. I tried everything I could think of to get them working again including turning notifications off and back on again, force quitting the app and restarting, nothing worked for me. I finally completely deleted (uninstalled) the app, rebooted the phone, reinstalled the app and my notifications are working again.
I had this same issue and had to do this also back when. May have been with iOS 12. :D

There is something with the notification system that gets hung and you can’t reset it without deleting the app and reinstalling it.

Note when you logout of the Tesla app (or delete it, of course) several notification settings get reset. Be sure to check them all when you set things up again. And do set the Tesla app notifications to ‘persistent’ in the iOS settings so you don’t miss anything. If you have Powerwalls, you will want to verify the Energy notifications are on also (but those should default to on for power loss/restoration).

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, be sure when checking for iOS app updates that you ‘pull down’ on the App Store in updates (twice). It doesn’t properly check for new updates without doing that.

Yeah, I'm specifically talking about the iOS app. Before Tesla changed the update process, I would get a push notification saying that an update was available to download. With the new process, push notifications are only sent once the car has completed the download and then a push is sent that just says the update is available to install.

I think they did this because now updates are supposed to be passively downloaded in the background, however it's a pain for people who don't automatically connect to wifi because they won't see any notice an update is available at all ("Connect to wifi to download") until they get in their car to go somewhere.