Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting single blue line on Navigate on Autopilot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. Heads up. We are newbies but we have read the manual and consulted the forum. We never seem to get the solid blue line on navigate on autopilot. We have FSD and all the menu settings appear correct. We have tried a number of times on divided highways but have never seen the solid blue line and the "navigate on autopilot" on the main screen show up. As well there is no auto lane changing happening although the lane change works when I initiate the signal. Everything else is working well. Are we doing something wrong or does this work only in certain places. We are in BC Canada. We didn't want to initiate a service ticket until we have ruled out operator error.

Thanks in advance.

On edit. This is a 2020 model 3 built in March and we are running, 12-12-5 software. We have had the car a couple weeks. We just realized that we have never seen the solid blue line or the Navigation on Autopilot display when we are navigating somewhere.

Last edited:
That is odd then. If NOA is enabled in the auto pilot menu and a destination is active and you are on a divided highway then it should be available to use. Or is it not available on some Canadian roads I wonder? Wouldn't hurt to make a mobile appointment.

So, apologies if I'm asking "duh" questions...

-- You are navigating to a destination (blue line on map showing destination, spoken turn commands)?
-- You have autopilot engaged (blue speed limit circle below actual speed, and blue steering wheel icon to its left)?
-- You do see blue lane lines either side of the car model in the middle of the left panel?
-- You are driving on a proper freeway (not just a divided road)?
-- You have enabled Navigate on Autopilot in the Autopilot section of the car controls?
-- You do see a blue "Navigate on Autopilot" button just under the "Navigate To" button (top left of map)?

So, apologies if I'm asking "duh" questions...

-- You are navigating to a destination (blue line on map showing destination, spoken turn commands)?
-- You have autopilot engaged (blue speed limit circle below actual speed, and blue steering wheel icon to its left)?
-- You do see blue lane lines either side of the car model in the middle of the left panel?
-- You are driving on a proper freeway (not just a divided road)?
-- You have enabled Navigate on Autopilot in the Autopilot section of the car controls?
-- You do see a blue "Navigate on Autopilot" button just under the "Navigate To" button (top left of map)?

Yes to all except the "You are driving on a proper freeway (not just a divided road)". How would we know? It is a divided highway (no barrier though) and there are off ramps but I'm not sure I would call it a freeway. I think that term is used differently in the US than here. We are in the interiour of British Columbia in the Okanagan Valley.

Yes to all except the "You are driving on a proper freeway (not just a divided road)". How would we know? It is a divided highway (no barrier though) and there are off ramps but I'm not sure I would call it a freeway. I think that term is used differently in the US than here. We are in the interiour of British Columbia in the Okanagan Valley.

That might be your problem then .. NOA is very specific about which roads it can navigate, and yes I'm unsure which qualify in Canada.

That might be your problem then .. NOA is very specific about which roads it can navigate, and yes I'm unsure which qualify in Canada.

Alright. So update. We input a destination that we know has at least some of the trip as a listed “freeway”. Bingo. The freeway section is a long ways from here but it appears that the destination must have at least some “freeway” included in the route.

Now we are off for a little drive to see if the solid single line comes on.

You mentioned in your OP that you have FSD. But do you have any other evidence that you in fact do? I think I've heard of a few cases where people bought FSD, but it didn't get actually turned on by Tesla for whatever reason.

Yes...i think. Smart summons works great for example. All stop lights visible etc. Initiated lane changes work great etc.

But...another update. Just came back from a test drive. If we enter a destination that has some "freeway" sections the blue "Navigation on autopilot" pops up. However if we select a destination where there is no "freeway" on route, the blue "Navigation on autopilot" button does not pop up. I'm wondering if we actually drove to a section of highway (for us about 60 km away) if we would get the solid blue single line.

Thoughts???

And by the way Angela and I appreciate all the help.

I can tell you from experience that NOA does not work on the Trans-Canada Highway from Calgary to Regina. I asked Tesla and they said it’s due to there being cross roads and not strictly on-off ramps along the route. BC may be the same.

I’m thinking that if NOA doesn’t work right now on the Trans-Canada then the FSD I paid for likely won’t work either.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I can tell you from experience that NOA does not work on the Trans-Canada Highway from Calgary to Regina. I asked Tesla and they said it’s due to there being cross roads and not strictly on-off ramps along the route. BC may be the same.

I’m thinking that if NOA doesn’t work right now on the Trans-Canada then the FSD I paid for likely won’t work either.

Yah. I think you nailed it. There are definitely cross roads on the highways we have been testing. I know there are true freeways in Vancouver area and I know that NOA works there as I have seen videos from "model3man" with the single solid blue line.

Next test is for us to drive to the freeway on the other side of Kelowna and take the 97C connector to the Coquihalla highway. There is about 100 ish kilometers of "freeway" there clearly marked as such with "freeway starts, freeway stops signs and no cross roads, only on ramps and off ramps.

Road trip :)

Yes, NOA only works on limited access divided highways. That means entrance and exit ramps, no cross traffic.

Set a destination far enough away away from home that the route includes a highway like that and the button will be displayed. Pick Disney in Florida for example. You can select the button, but it won’t change the behavior (single blue line) until you are actually on a limited access highway. I travel a highway near home that changes from a divided highway to limited access highway along the route. If I set a destination that uses this highway, the button is displayed as I leave the house. Only after I cross the last crossroad intersection on that highway does the display switch from 2 blue lines to a single blue line.

Yes, NOA only works on limited access divided highways. That means entrance and exit ramps, no cross traffic.

Set a destination far enough away away from home that the route includes a highway like that and the button will be displayed. Pick Disney in Florida for example. You can select the button, but it won’t change the behavior (single blue line) until you are actually on a limited access highway. I travel a highway near home that changes from a divided highway to limited access highway along the route. If I set a destination that uses this highway, the button is displayed as I leave the house. Only after I cross the last crossroad intersection on that highway does the display switch from 2 blue lines to a single blue line.

Swaltner YUDAMAN. My wife and I appreciate your input. We learned a lot about Jarvis today. Glad to hear he is working fine. If this is mentioned in the manual we did not find it. But it is a big manual.

Thanks everybody.

Obligatory picture of the new man in my wifes life. Jarvis. :)

49818361131_b869c4444a_c.jpg

page 94 of the owners manual states autosteer is:

Page 94 said:
for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps

For NoA specifically-

Model 3 manual page 97 said:
Once enabled, the Navigate on Autopilot button appears on the map's turn by turn direction list whenever a navigation route is active and the route includes at least one controlled-access road

Then on page 98

Model 3 manual page 98 said:
When you leave a controlled-access road (for example, you exit a freeway or you enter a section of the navigation route that is no longer supported) Navigate on Autopilot reverts back to Autosteer

Yes...i think. Smart summons works great for example. All stop lights visible etc. Initiated lane changes work great etc.

But...another update. Just came back from a test drive. If we enter a destination that has some "freeway" sections the blue "Navigation on autopilot" pops up. However if we select a destination where there is no "freeway" on route, the blue "Navigation on autopilot" button does not pop up. I'm wondering if we actually drove to a section of highway (for us about 60 km away) if we would get the solid blue single line.

Thoughts???

And by the way Angela and I appreciate all the help.

Basically yes. The NOA blue button shows up when some part of the trip can use NOA. However, the car will only show the single blue line when NOA is actually engaged .. so you won't see the single line until you are on a freeway and NOA is doing its thing. If you transition to a non-NOA road the single blue line will split back into the normal blue "lane lines".

Basically, what it comes down to is:

1. NOA is only available when you have entered a trip destination into the nav system and the trip includes at least one segment that the car considers a true divided, controlled, highway (no lights etc). In this case, the Blue NOA button will appear just under the navigate to box on the map (and will be on by default).

2. If, during the trip, you engage Autosteer when the car is not in a suitable segment for NOA, you will get the normal blue lane Ines, and NOA will not engage.

3. If, however, you engage Autosteer when the car is in a suitable segment, you will get the single blue line and NOA will engage.

4. If NOA is engaged and you exit the suitable segment, NOA will disengage and revert to plain Autosteer (you will also be warned of this).

5. You can also manually disengage NOA and switch back to plain Autosteer by tapping the blue NOA button on the map.

Note: Pay close attention to the restrictions and recommendations in the manual about where Autosteer can be used safely, and its limitations.

Last edited: