Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not recognizing closed charge port door -- original manual door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The metal disk on the charge port door is corroded in the lower corner and the car is no longer recognizing a closed door. Normally I'd ignore this since the door still closes but it results in the alert appearing to the left of the instrument cluster instead of the navigation. I have a 2013 85D with 85k miles thus out of warranty. A few questions:
  1. Is the disk magnetized? Has anyone found a replacement (either from Tesla or independent)?
  2. Has anyone tried a simple solution like metallic tape to cover the corroded area and complete the circuit?
  3. What was the cost for service to do a repair (I assume they'd replace the entire door, not just the disk and not just the charge port assembly but please correct me if I'm wrong)?

AFAIK, the metal disc is just a piece of metal, used to hold it closed, then the coil can induce an opposite magnetic field of that permanent magnet inside, and release the charging port door.
I do not think it is used for sensing.
And you can get it upgrades to a motorized version.

Cost to to replace the door $225.78 according to my service center. If I were you, I would heat up the disk, remove it, flip it and glue it back on. The back side should be good. Or just remove it and sand it down until the corrosion is gone. Should be a pretty simple and free fix. I do not think that older models can be retrofitted with the automatic door... I could be wrong but its a whole different size/shape.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Had this issue happen recently where the adhesive holding the metal part on the charge door came unglued from the Charge door. I tried to Mcgyver it myself but I did not use strong enough adhesive to withstand more than a couple of days.

I was still under Warranty so Tesla just swapped out a new charge door.

If you are going to DIY I would suggest using the strongest glue available that could withstand wild temperature swings and repeated use.

Had this issue happen recently where the adhesive holding the metal part on the charge door came unglued from the Charge door. I tried to Mcgyver it myself but I did not use strong enough adhesive to withstand more than a couple of days.

I was still under Warranty so Tesla just swapped out a new charge door.

If you are going to DIY I would suggest using the strongest glue available that could withstand wild temperature swings and repeated use.
crazy glue has worked for months so far.