Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noticed something cool in the App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
I don't remember seeing this before, but when your car is being driven, open the app, look at the location, and look at the speed thing. Around the speed thing, you see regen and acceleration info, just like the classic dial. I like the modern UI but I do miss the very responsive dial based UI we used to have especially for regen info. I know some of us are data heads, so figured I'd share.

I don't remember seeing this before, but when your car is being driven, open the app, look at the location, and look at the speed thing. Around the speed thing, you see regen and acceleration info, just like the classic dial. I like the modern UI but I do miss the very responsive dial based UI we used to have especially for regen info. I know some of us are data heads, so figured I'd share.
I posted a disagree because you shouldn't be fiddling with the phone app whilst driving

maybe he wasn't driving, this led me to believe that he was
I don't remember seeing this before, but when your car is being driven, open the app, look at the location, and look at the speed thing.

ped·ant·ry
ˈped(ə)ntrē/
noun
  1. excessive concern with minor details and rules.

He had to say "when your car is being driven" because there is no way to see the power and the regen when the car is not being driven.

When we first got the car, I would sometimes keep the app open as my wife was driving home, to see if she seemed to be learning to use regen correctly. That's how I know the feature existed two-plus years ago.

Thats good, because the data stream has the data in real time! Maybe we can make a web app for the browser that shows us the lost information? I too loved the original power display.

Thinking further,
- Browser, web app, not practical for 2 reasons,
a) Tesla's browser is hella sucky, UX just won't be fast enough to be worthwhile.
b) Tesla's browser, I think has no localstorage (it clears out very frequently), so the user will have to login over and over again (annoying!).

- Mobile app,
.. probably doable, but most likely not practical since Tesla's servers will DDOS you out after a few minutes of usage anyway.

Sooooo .. m'fraid, we're a bit SOL here.

b) Tesla's browser, I think has no localstorage (it clears out very frequently), so the user will have to login over and over again (annoying!).

We could do it using GET parameters after login to maintain a session. The browser supports cookies, but they're wiped out every time you start/stop the car (what a boneheaded decision, there, Tesla).

Also, if you notice while driving the car on the highway (oops, I mean as a passenger), on that same map, there are two dots -- one dot where your phone is, and the other dot where your car is (or thinks it is). Due to the slight delay with the Tesla API since it has to make a round-trip to Fremont, the car dot lags the phone dot, and sometimes it's a little game of leap-frog. Pretty fun to watch.

I also found this helpful. And in another scenario; in Valet mode watching the level of acceleration and speed while waiting for your car.

We could do it using GET parameters after login to maintain a session...

I think the problem is not maintaining a session. The problem is Tesla servers are anal about DDOS. I don't know what rate limiting they are using, but it's like ridiculous low. Comes down to almost 1 a minute (after X # of requests). So basically such an app can't be used for long term (i.e. stick on the dash and enjoy). It'll probably work ok for 5-10 minutes.