Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Novice to Y Performance Inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are going to a dealership, not Tesla, to test drive a Y. How can I check if it is Performance or LR?

The salesperson is honest enough and says he’s not sure, that it’s a Land Rover dealership and they just started selling used Teslas.

Glide's reply is the best method.

Other hints (though the previous owner could have changed them, so not definitive):
  1. Increased top speed from 135mph to 155mph (have fun verifying this on your test drive!)
  2. 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  3. Performance Brakes (red brake calipers)
  4. Lowered suspension (hard to see unless next to a long range)
  5. Aluminum alloy pedals
  6. The same underline on the badging on the rear hatch

On the driving screen the driving mode options for the Long Range Model Y are Standard and Chill. For the Performance Model Y the driving mode options are Performance and Chill.

For the Long Range Model Y if the previous owner purchased the acceleration boost (AB) option for $2k after purchasing the Model Y then the driving mode options will also be displayed for Performance and Chill (Standard will no longer be an option.) If the vehicle is sold privately the AB upgrade should convey to the new owner.

If the Model Y you test drive has the 7 seat option is it definitely a Long Range Model Y, not a Performance Model Y as to date Tesla has not delivered the Performance Model Y with the 7 seat option.

On the driving screen the driving mode options for the Long Range Model Y are Standard and Chill. For the Performance Model Y the driving mode options are Performance and Chill.

For the Long Range Model Y if the previous owner purchased the acceleration boost (AB) option for $2k after purchasing the Model Y then the driving mode options will also be displayed for Performance and Chill (Standard will no longer be an option.) If the vehicle is sold privately the AB upgrade should convey to the new owner.

If the Model Y you test drive has the 7 seat option is it definitely a Long Range Model Y, not a Performance Model Y as to date Tesla has not delivered the Performance Model Y with the 7 seat option.
fyi it's labeled as Chill and Sport for MYP and MYLR w/ AB.

There is also the VIN. The 8th character is the motor drive unit info and it should be a F for the dual performance motor version. I tried to find the PDF cut sheet that explains the VIN but I could not find it. The link below will do the same thing.

VIN Decoder – TeslaTap
and make sure to select the Model Y PLR option before using it.

This VIN method is also not guaranteed as some early MY LR AWD came with the perf motors for some reason, we assume a parts shortage during initial roll out and CV-19. But if the VIN does not have F in that 8th position, then you know for sure it is not perf model.

But like others have already said, the sure fire and best method is to check the screen in the car itself.

Update: Found the links on the bottom of that page
https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/54414e8c-d20d-4011-8158-48838c122a87 for 2020
https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/b523d13b-86a0-41d0-b24e-afbf5aa0c301 for 2021

Glide's reply is the best method.

Other hints (though the previous owner could have changed them, so not definitive):
  1. Increased top speed from 135mph to 155mph (have fun verifying this on your test drive!)
  2. 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  3. Performance Brakes (red brake calipers)
  4. Lowered suspension (hard to see unless next to a long range)
  5. Aluminum alloy pedals
  6. The same underline on the badging on the rear hatch
HAHA see if it reaches 155mph to verify it is a performance model!
Jokes aside, I don't understand why an SUV needs to be going that fast unless you were on a race track.

Reactions: HillClimb