Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now HW3 is a thing....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the software that supports it is ready for prime time, that's when they need to have it available. I'm sure that they've looked at estimated dates and worked back and determine how long it takes to update the computer. I'm sure you will get notified when it is time.

So at this point, nothing to worry about.

Sorry wasn't clear in my initial post - I meant the upgrade to HW3 as promised by Elon for those that have paid for FSD.

Sorry, I too was not clear. Until FSD exists, and it is known that HW3 is needed for FSD then I wouldn't presume any HW upgrades will take place. Why would they upgrade the HW until it is actually required? For all we know it may need HW4 or 5 and even camera/sensor upgrades to make FSD a reality.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Some time ago (in 2017) when HW2.5 came out. Elon Musk tweeted it as a modest performance improvement with additional redundancy. Said that if it turned out to be necessary for FSD that owners with 2.0 that purchased FSD would get a hardware upgrade for free. (paraphrasing)
So, while it looks like cars are now starting to get HW 3.0 in production, it wouldn’t shock me if 3.5 or 4.0 came along before true legal & functionsal FSD does. So maybe we shouldn’t be in such a big hurry for a HW upgrade install until the software can do anything with it that provides any additional functionality. On the other hand, It is clear, however, that there are features rolling out to 2.5 cars that are not available to 2.0 cars. TeslaCam...
So, if you have a 2.0 car, getting HW 3 would likely provide additional features immediately.

Reactions: RedBall