Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20231212-024915.png

Not sure whether RAA (South Australian motoring association) has any special knowledge(or if RAA plugshare account is them authentically) but both they and one other has recently added Forbes as coming soon. This site was announced in Round One of NSW fast charging grants.

Reactions: Hairyman
$10M in grants up for grabs to assist eligible NSW apartment buildings by co-funding the assessment and installation of EV infrastructure upgrades.
Appears the program is temporarily suspended after lots of demand.

As a limited amount of funding is available, the program will not accept new applications until the assessment of submitted applications is complete and remaining funding is identified

Screenshot_20231223-105748.png

Evie have already put a site in this location.
Screenshot_20231223-105459.png

It was activated around the same time as the Round 2 announcements.
Unclear if there will be an expansion of the rectifier unit and power modules of the 2 PKMs already installed to meet the above stats. Not sure if PKM150 and PKM400 internals are that modular that the internals are upgradable like that. Or that they just swap out the units or expand the site completely with PKM400 in addition to the PKM150s
Or it could just be the Round 2 site as is and the text is out of date to final agreement.

Reactions: Hairyman
One EV “incentive” that survived the election of the Minns Government was the Transit Lane Exemption for zero emissions vehicles (BEVs and HFCEVs).

This was first introduced by Matt Kean and ran for 12 months from 1 Nov 2021 to 31 Oct 2022, and the following year he extended it for another 12 months to 31 Oct 2023.

It didn’t get much if any publicity, but on 26 Oct last year the Minister for Roads, John Graham, signed the Ministerial Order to extend the transit lane exemption for a further 2 years until 31 Oct 2025.

The vehicle needs to have the blue “EV” or yellow “H” label affixed to the registration plate, as well as meeting the zero emissions criteria, in order to be exempt.

I think Transit Lanes only exist in Sydney - not aware of any in Newcastle or any other city in NSW.

From what I have observed T2 and T3 transit lanes are exempt for

In order of observed frequency

1) Audi
2) Merc
3) Limos
4) Taxis
5) Motorcycles
6) Ford Ranger Utes with Orange MaxTrax which have never been used
7) EV
8) Cars with 2 or 3 people - these are rare
9) Buses - but its not as common as any of the above.

What is benefit again?

I find the best lane are the timed bus lanes on Victoria Road Drummoyne for example. Everyone assumes its 24hr so I zoom through in whatever car I got EV or ICE when bus lane is not in operation. I get the occasional road ragers as a result, but I don't engage and tell them why because I don't want them to know.

Pacific highway heading north in afternoon is also very good around the Gordon-Wahroonga section. No ministerial directive necessary. No transit or bus lane, but the left lane is always less congested. Always zoom through.

Last edited:
What is benefit again?

Not receiving a fine of up to $5500?

The 24-hour T2 lane on the Gore Hill Freeway is (was?) regularly policed at peak times, since there is a convenient breakdown bay in both directions for police to set up shop and ping motorists by the dozens. And I’ve seen them do it.

I carry around a PDF copy of the Ministerial Order as published in the NSW Gazette on my phone, just in case I happen to use a Transit Lane in my Model 3 or LEAF but get pulled over anyway.

I find the best lane are the timed bus lanes on Victoria Road Drummoyne for example. Everyone assumes its 24hr so I zoom through in whatever car I got EV or ICE when bus lane is not in operation.

Who assumes it is 24 hours? I never have. It’s not exactly a secret, if one reads the signs.

Reactions: Jules22
Not receiving a fine of up to $5500?
seems to be not very effective
The problem is all sorts of "exemptions" exist so the benefit to an EV driver is very marginal (YMMV)

Just like the massive fines for overheight vehicles for Harbour tunnel and over length vehicles over the Galston gorge road.

If drivers read and obeyed signs there would not be any fines revenue

Last edited:
The 24-hour T2 lane on the Gore Hill Freeway is (was?) regularly policed at peak times, since there is a convenient breakdown bay in both directions for police to set up shop and ping motorists by the dozens. And I’ve seen them do it.
I haven't seen them policing it once since post COVID.

This transit lane directive has saved a colleague 20 minutes daily on the morning commute along Military road.