Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuerio Device Connection Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the PW+ with the inverter. Due to the local fire and building safety codes, Tesla wasn't able to install the PW+ with inverter close to the main panel and gateway of my main house. They installed the PW+ w/inverter 30-40 ft away(by my detached garage) from the gateway.

So the neurio meter is blinking red and green. Tesla QA guy told me it's connection issue to the gateway. I contacted the installer, he told me that he did hardwire it but this method hasn't been approved it, so it's not working. He assured me the neurio meter is mainly for revenue grade meter for the utility, I'm not being affected since the inverter does its own solar monitoring aside from the neurio. Yea. I have no problem seeing the production data in my Tesla App. The QA guy also said with the nonworking neurio meter, they can't see my production data but they can see it via another application called "performance validation" on their end.

Is there a way to fix this or it's no big deal?

Last edited:
@KHYE There a number of posts on neurio connection issues and cures.

TL-DR version: neurios have a weak WiFi system, so they need a strong WiFi signal (access point nearby), and both the gateway, the neurio have to have static (reserved) ip addresses on the same SSID subnet, and they have to be paired via WiFi. A couple of folks have gotten a WiFi repeater to work, but the lack of a reserved in address can be an issue.

I am unaware of a hardwiring solution that works at 40', but regardless of whether it is approved or not, it clearly isn't working, so the onus would appear to be on your installer to do something else.

Not seeing your production data isn't an issue, until it is, if you know what I mean. If it doesn't bother you, don't sweat it. If it does, I would do something to improve/boost your WiFi without using repeaters. There are detailed notes here how to configure your neurio, and the gateway, if you have installer access.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: KHYE
@KHYE There a number of posts on neurio connection issues and cures.

TL-DR version: neurios have a weak WiFi system, so they need a strong WiFi signal (access point nearby), and both the gateway, the neurio have to have static (reserved) ip addresses on the same SSID subnet, and they have to be paired via WiFi. A couple of folks have gotten a WiFi repeater to work, but the lack of a reserved in address can be an issue.

I am unaware of a hardwiring solution that works at 40', but regardless of whether it is approved or not, it clearly isn't working, so the onus would appear to be on your installer to do something else.

Not seeing your production data isn't an issue, until it is, if you know what I mean. If it doesn't bother you, don't sweat it. If it does, I would do something to improve/boost your WiFi without using repeaters. There are detailed notes here how to configure your neurio, and the gateway, if you have installer access.

All the best,

BG
@BGbreeder I upgraded my wifi router to a nice ASUS one before the installation. I will try to move it closer to the inverter and see if it helps. Also, the gateway was put on a guest wifi, that might be the reason?

I'm seeing my production data in my Tesla apps and gateway. That's why I'm not sure if the neurio is needed.

@BGbreeder I upgraded my wifi router to a nice ASUS one before the installation. I will try to move it closer to the inverter and see if it helps. Also, the gateway was put on a guest wifi, that might be the reason?

I'm seeing my production data in my Tesla apps and gateway. That's why I'm not sure if the neurio is needed.
Yes, putting it on the guest network will probably cause it not to be able to talk to the neurio. Most guest networks only allow devices to access the internet, but not anything locally, e.g. a gateway can't directly communicate with a neurio.

All the best,

BG

Yes, putting it on the guest network will probably cause it not to be able to talk to the neurio. Most guest networks only allow devices to access the internet, but not anything locally, e.g. a gateway can't directly communicate with a neurio.

All the best,

BG
@BGbreeder So, I was able to log into the neurio interface and connected to my home wifi. I also ensure my gateway and neurio ip addresses are reserved in my router. But the neurio is still red. I guess that's not working? Any other steps that I've missed?

Can you pls share the steps to run the installation wizard? Thanks.
You have to login as installer on your PW+, but if you aren't comfortable with it you should have Tesla fix it. Could possibly break something if you change some of the values to something incorrect. On my install there are wired and remote meters. My backup switch shows up under wired meters and the two Nuerio's show up under the remote meter.

Can you pls share the steps to run the installation wizard? Thanks.
You need an installer account on your gateway (talk to your installer). With that, you login to the gateway and go through the installation menus, one of which is for pairing the gateway with the neurio. (The CT meter menu as I recall) You will need the neurio's IP address, and, IIRC, it helps to have the MAC address as well. If the neurio is already there, but under another address, you need to delete the existing entry and add a new entry. Before you do that, note how the CTs are assigned. Again, IIRC, there is some incompatibility that doesn't allow two IP addresses to have the same MAC address.

Note: if you move the neurio/gateway to a new network, e.g. an IOT network, you will need to repeat the process.

As @dailo points out, there is the potential to seriously misconfigure your gateway if you alter the wrong parameters.

Sorry not to be more detailed.

All the best,

BG