Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nurburgring and Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a lot of test mules seen at the Ring, but no official record attempts yet. That track really pushes the limits of the car and I am not sure how the Plaid is going to hold up with its insane performance specs it must generate tons of heat. Also the brakes on the Plaid don't seem like they are cut out to bring a 4800lb car down from such high speeds repeatedly, but that's just speculation.

… Also the brakes on the Plaid don't seem like they are cut out to bring a 4800lb car down from such high speeds repeatedly, but that's just speculation.
There are aftermarket ceramic brake pads available for a Tesla, so I'm fairly sure that isn't a problem, but the drain on the battery pack is a major issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Yea I just saw the pics of the model being tested, it definitely has large carbon ceramics which are much needed. If they want to set a record though these upgrades need to be available for sale to be considered a production car. Hopefully this means there will be a track pack coming soon with brake upgrades and some lighter wheels maybe?

Reactions: shellderp
I believe the large ceramics will be part of the upgrade package that is due to be available later in the year ( and actually allows the announced speeds). Hope they might announce what was actually on the Nurburgring car, and that the upgrade package will be pretty similar

It is very exciting. Seems they are testing the yoke also. But beware that all other manufacturers stopped testing because of the huge flood disaster in the area, while Tesla let "the show go on." Maybe not the smartest decision, they have the money to postpone a few weeks.

Interesting. The regen torque from the motors is not enough to help the stock brakes? I always thought the electric motors helped the brake’s longevity. So I’m guessing it really comes down to better heat management.
Brake regen is great for scrubbing speed off under "normal" driving but would have to be substantially more aggressive to scrub any useful amount of speed of in a track setting as we're talking about significantly greater forces involved.

Interesting. The regen torque from the motors is not enough to help the stock brakes? I always thought the electric motors helped the brake’s longevity. So I’m guessing it really comes down to better heat management.
There are a couple of reports from individuals taking the Plaid to the track. It only takes a couple of laps for the brake temp warning light to come on. The Nurburgring takes a serious toll on brakes. It would be almost dangerous to push the car hard enough for a record lap time knowing the brakes could flake out at any minute.

Not yet
Any news on Plaids Nurburgring testing? Will it beat the Taycan

I’d say probably not for a while in anything resembling a car you can buy. It’s extremely difficult to get a time like Taycan did. Porsche has so much experience with circuit tracks and building sports cars that I think a lot of people don’t understand. There’s a lot more to this than the 1/4 mile or 0-60mph time.

I’d like to know how the yoke performed and if it contributed to the crash.

• Funny
Not yet

I’d say probably not for a while in anything resembling a car you can buy. It’s extremely difficult to get a time like Taycan did. Porsche has so much experience with circuit tracks and building sports cars that I think a lot of people don’t understand. There’s a lot more to this than the 1/4 mile or 0-60mph time.

The yoke looks pretty cool I must admit. I just watched a video of a plaid owner driving around town with the yoke. Unfortunately he hit the horn button by accident and it’s weird with a total rotation lock to lock of 900 degrees. For a yoke input I’d think it should be 300-400 degrees like an F1 car. If you are racing using a yoke with 900 degrees of motion it maybe difficult to get out of a slide or tank slapper situation. What do you guys think?

Not yet

Taycan is great for Nurburgring, but any further than that and it overheats and slows WAY down. In the end, Model 3 is faster in longer races